Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Rack - pipe diameter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Rack - pipe diameter question

I have the opportunity to pick up a surplus custom wheel rack for free. I figure I could make a killer drum rack out of this, but I'm not sure if regular clamps will fit on the pipes. They are 1-1/2" powder-coated steel pipe but the powder coating makes the actual outside diameter 1.67" or 32mm. Standard rack tubing is 1-1/2" or 28mm. I'm pretty sure the plastic Roland clamps won't work, but I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with odd size tubing, and whether Gibraltar clamps might expand enough to fit these pipes.
    Attached Files
    Jack

Sabre's Album

That looks like DIY heaven
    I did some experimenting with larger tubes when I was searching for materials for my cage and, while the Roland clamps will expand, they do not expand all that much, particularly the TD12 and TD20 rack clamps. The TD3 / 6 clamps expand more but they are quite limiting in that you need to pull the rack apart to add or remove clamps.
    I have a couple of cymbal booms mounted with Gibby clamps and the ones I have will accommodate larger tubes.
    I couldn't find tubing the right diameter at my hardware store so I ended up making my cage out of two MDS-3C racks with some square aluminium tubing that fits perfectly inside the roland tubes for added strength.
    Good luck with your project and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
      ...I'm pretty sure the plastic Roland clamps won't work, but I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with odd size tubing, and whether Gibraltar clamps might expand enough to fit these pipes.
      The Gibraltar clamps definately have more expansion room than the Rolands because they can be adjusted on each side (unlike the Roland hatch clamps).

Comment

Hey there Sabre

I purchased a Gibralter type clamp today, i just measured mine and full out it gives an extra 3mm, would go further but then the straight adjustment pin that holds it together at the bottom limits any further movement unless u bend the pin.

That extra 4mm is quite a bit, i would buy just 1 gibraltar clamp and try it.

Other than that, the clamp may be widened from the inside if filed a bit, making it bigger, u may just get it with a few nips and tucks.
        WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
        YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
        FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
        :eek: ...
        Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
        Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

I knew a guy that built a cage out of galvinized post, Which I believe was an 1.75" in diameter and the gabralter clamps worked on them. The only thing you got to watch for is stress on the clamp, I've seen them snap from over tightning. Because clamps are made for a 1.5" pipe, And you are trying to stuff a bigger pipe in it.
          Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

That looks awesome. Hope the Gibraltar clamps will work on that.
            Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Very Nice!

Very Nice! That red reminds me of your avatar too!

Comment

But won't all those crossbraces get in the way of your sticks? And where will you fit the piezos in those mags? ;-(

Comment

I've actually got the thing set up and functional now as sort of a hybrid, but I haven't purchased any new clamps yet. So far I've used some thin wall PVC pipe to act as a reducer to make up the difference in diameter between the standard Roland rack pipe and the joints so that I can use the standard Roland clamps. Eventually I plan to replace the Roland pipes with the red ones to gain a little additional length and keep the color and look uniform. vjboc's post gives me hope that I'll be able to find aftermarket clamps that will fit.

They must have spent a fortune on the wheel rack originally. All the Kee Klamps have been chromed (they don't come that way), and all the pipe has been powder coated.

It's amazing how much stability is gained simply by adding the 2 additional legs. I'm sure the extra 150 lbs. of weight helps a little too... I sure wouldn't want to gig this thing...
                  Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Here is a picture of what it looks like so far...
                    Attached Files
                    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Hey! That looks cool, very cool
                      Do I detect the beginnings of another monster?

Comment

That is one sexy looking rack.
                        Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Working...
                        X