Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM5 pro kit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM5 pro kit Question

I just purchased my first set of electric drums. I bought the Alesis DM5 pro kit. My question is I can not get the hihat to respond like a normal hi hat and also sometimes when I hit one of the toms I get a tom sound and a cymbal sound. Its probably just me but was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this problem. Also can anyone tell me what settings you use for your DM5

Hey! Sunroofgut23,

It's been a while a go i've played the DM5.
    To start with the hi-hat:I don't want to dissapoint you!
    But to respond like a normal hi-hat the DM5 is limited.
    I remember using a simple footswitch to open and close the hi-hat and by using a Alesis D4 and a DM5, I mixed three hi-hat sounds to make it a little acceptable
    You can do a lot with the trigger settings to make the response and sound a lot better.
    Hearing the tom and cymbal sound on one pad has to do with Xtalk and will be easy to solve, just raise or lower the Xtalk of the tom/ or adjust the Xtalk of the cymbal.
    There must be more Alesis DM5 players around on this forum who can advice you on the trigger settings!

Good luck,

Steve
    Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
    Vdrumlib.

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.P.Boston View Post
      Hey! Sunroofgut23,

There must be more Alesis DM5 players around on this forum who can advice you on the trigger settings!

Good luck,

Steve
      Actually, there's not much more to say. The hi-hats on a DM5 simply won't do the things you want it to as it is not variable...open and closed only. If you want a hi-hat to act more acoustic like, you're going to have to upgrade your module and maybe the hi-hat pedal depending on what you have.

On the other issue, STP is right, sounds like you have a cross-talk issue with the tom and cymbal.
      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Maybe next time I will buy the rolands

Comment

You might want to go the Alesis website and download this update.

Presets for the DM5 Pro Kit
          Contains new programs as well as optimized settings for the DM5 Pro Kit triggers. Load via MIDI using MIDIOX (PC) or SysEx Librarian (Mac.)

http://alesis.com/contentmgr/showdet...p/id/1185/tt/5

I did it for my kit and it made a world of difference for the hat control as well it has new sounds designed for the kit.

Originally posted by sunroofguy23 View Post
          Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Maybe next time I will buy the rolands

Comment

^Very interesting. Do you think it would work with the regular DM5 kit? It has the same module, and I am updating my pads so I would have thought it should be okay.

Badaboom, could you please tell me the firmware version of your DM5? (Hold both parameter arrows). I was just wondering if the DM5 pro kit is shipped with an update. Mine is 1.02. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by delude View Post
              ^Very interesting. Do you think it would work with the regular DM5 kit? It has the same module, and I am updating my pads so I would have thought it should be okay.

Badaboom, could you please tell me the firmware version of your DM5? (Hold both parameter arrows). I was just wondering if the DM5 pro kit is shipped with an update. Mine is 1.02. Thanks!
              I think it should work with your DM5 module. It's just sysex. The trigger settings are adjusted to work with the pads for the DM5 Pro kit so you might have to adjust those.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I also sent Alesis an email and within a matter of hours it was replied to, and you were right.

Comment

Originally posted by badaboom View Post
                  You might want to go the Alesis website and download this update.

Presets for the DM5 Pro Kit
                  Contains new programs as well as optimized settings for the DM5 Pro Kit triggers. Load via MIDI using MIDIOX (PC) or SysEx Librarian (Mac.)

http://alesis.com/contentmgr/showdet...p/id/1185/tt/5

I did it for my kit and it made a world of difference for the hat control as well it has new sounds designed for the kit.
                  Hello, I just got these drums yesterday, I was wondering how to load this using midiox (what settings does the dm5 need to be on) Every time I try to send the file via midiox my dm5 flashes error. I have re downloaded the file and tried many times. I am also having lots of trouble now too with the dm5 not playing all the sounds of some trigger hits. When it is connected to SD2 it works, Just not with the main module. I have contacted alesis but no response yet.

Can someone please dump their file setup to a syx and upload it for me to try? it won't hurt to see if this works.

Comment

Can anyone please help me with this?

Comment

Working...
                    X