Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced trigger settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced trigger settings?

Hey guys, I would like to get an idea of what the best settings are for the Scan Time, Mask and Xtalkcancel. Throw me some numbers you guys get the best luck with Thanx guys!
    TDW-20, pd-8 toms, KD-120 kick, a real snare drum, and real cymbals

What are the best values to implement for Advanced trigger settings for the drums and cymbals? What numbers are you all finding to be the best?

Comment

What pads/ triggers are you using?
      Cheers
      Paul

Comment

That all depends on what pads you have. If you have Harts, they list their recommended settings for the different Roland modules on their website. Smartrigger does that too. Plus, of course, there is always the matter of personal tweaking.
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys:

I use a KD-120, PD-105, PD-8 toms and CY-8 cymbals. I am mainly looking for the best Mask Time and Scan Time. I am wondering if the best settings vary between different pads and samples (i.e. cymbals compared to toms, compared to kick, snare, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by sn47som View Post
            Hey guys, I would like to get an idea of what the best settings are for the Scan Time, Mask and Xtalkcancel. Throw me some numbers you guys get the best luck with Thanx guys!
            I take each setting and adjust from the lowest setting to the highest setting to see what the difference is. Scan time from what I read should be at a lower setting. I have all the mask settings on 0 . Xtalk setting vary from 20 to 35 or until other drums stop triggering. But if you set this setting to high sometimes the pad or drum will mis-trigger.
            Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Originally posted by sn47som View Post
              Thanks for the replys guys:

I use a KD-120, PD-105, PD-8 toms and CY-8 cymbals. I am mainly looking for the best Mask Time and Scan Time. I am wondering if the best settings vary between different pads and samples (i.e. cymbals compared to toms, compared to kick, snare, etc.)

I don't know about the Rolands, but I know for Harts the recommended scan times are consistant across the different pads at 2.0 (on a TD-12). The only ones that are different are the Hi-Hat and Ride at 1.6. The recommended mask times vary more....snares and toms 6, kicks 10, cymbals and ride 10, hihat 3. DISCLAIMER: These settings are for the Hart Pros and ECIIs on a TD-12 only.

A couple other things...not only do the pads make a difference, but so does the module. What's recommended for a pad on one module is often not the same as what is recommended on another module. So, what module are you using? Also, keep in mind that what you'll find on the website are recommendations only. They are a starting place and you may find yourself tweaking as you go depending on your playing style.
              Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
              "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Fullback if I set my mask on anything but zero it mis-triggers on fast rolls. I have a td 8. Should the mask be at zero? Drums play fine and I have no problem. Just curious.
                Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

My drum kit

Comment

Mask time of 0 is fine for most drums and cymbals. Non-zero mask time is only intended to eliminate kick drum bounce double-triggers.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                    Mask time of 0 is fine for most drums and cymbals. Non-zero mask time is only intended to eliminate kick drum bounce double-triggers.

Bruce
                    Thank you Bruce

My drum kit

Comment

how do cymbal rolls sound on your hart ecymbals II? i ask because i have bought a hart ecymbal II splash to see if i am gonna switch over to hart cymbals but i cant get them to sound as good as my rolands. i followed the hart web site and then tweaked them but still not yet there. i dont know if it is because its a splash or not.

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                      I don't know about the Rolands, but I know for Harts the recommended scan times are consistant across the different pads at 2.0 (on a TD-12). The only ones that are different are the Hi-Hat and Ride at 1.6. The recommended mask times vary more....snares and toms 6, kicks 10, cymbals and ride 10, hihat 3. DISCLAIMER: These settings are for the Hart Pros and ECIIs on a TD-12 only.

A couple other things...not only do the pads make a difference, but so does the module. What's recommended for a pad on one module is often not the same as what is recommended on another module. So, what module are you using? Also, keep in mind that what you'll find on the website are recommendations only. They are a starting place and you may find yourself tweaking as you go depending on your playing style.

Comment

Working...
                      X