Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPD-S Switching On Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD-S Switching On Question

Hi All,

I've noticed recently since a format and start-from-scratch on my SPD-S that every time I switch it on it seems to, by default, initialize automatically to Patch No. 5.

I would have expected the default to be Patch No. 1 but if there is a setting (which I cannot find) can I get it to start up in any patch I wish? Patch No. 7 would be perfect!

Stu.

You could easily perform a "Patch Exchange" to put your favorite patch into the start up slot. (see pg. 39 in the manual)

Now, why your's is starting at patch #5 instead of #1 is a mystery to me!
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

The #5 startup is a strange phenomenon - maybe Roland help could shed some light.

My SPD-S always boots at patch #1 and I'd like to know if I could startup at another patch as I'd like to keep the onboard ones but my own patches start at #50......

Comment

I forgot to mention...

Mine always boots up at the last patch I had selected before shut down. Doesn't matter if it's 1, 31, 51, 81 or whatever.
        VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
        ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
        ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
        Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Mine does the same as TNT.

Comment

Mine always comes up with patch 23. We must have done something, but for the life of me I can't find it in the manual. Where's BarT?
            sigpic

Comment

Mine boots to patch 'j' (the square root of minus one)

Sorry folks. I'm in a silly mood and couldn't resist that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                Mine always comes up with patch 23. We must have done something, but for the life of me I can't find it in the manual. Where's BarT?
                I only had a theory up until now, which I'd been trying to find time to check all weekend. But I did just check a few times and I think this is the situation:

The "correct" way to shutdown is to press SHIFT and CARD for two seconds until "shutdown..OK!" appears, and then press the power button. (I rarely bother with this and have never had any problems with a corrupted card or memory.)

If you shutdown "correctly", then the patch number at shut down is the default at next power up. If you just press the power button then the current patch number is not saved and the next time you power up you get whatever patch was in use when the SPD-S was last shut down "correctly".

So those of us who always get the last patch number are good, and those of us who always get the same patch number are bad, busy, lazy, don't RTFM or just like taking risks!

Of course, the shutdown procedure is also supposed to be performed before removing a Compact Flash card (although a CF card can be inserted with the power already on). So I guess it would save the patch number from that stage if you later just press the power button.

I think all it means in practice is that if you want a particular patch to appear at power up, then shutdown from that patch "correctly" at least once.

Bruce
                Last edited by BarT; 06-23-08, 08:35 PM. Reason: lousy grammar

Comment

BarT,

Well done, mate - thanks for explaining all. You've solved it!

I guess I'm one of the lazy ones who just shuts it down by the power switch at the back and the Shift+Shutdown buttons are merely a ringing bell from when I last read the manual. But then I'm a bloke and not sure if I did ever actually read the manual!!!!!!

Never had any card corruption though - maybe that only happens if the card is being accessed at the actual time of switch off - just a thought!

Note to oneself - must read instructions and do as one is told!!!

Comment

See! I told your BarT would know!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                      See! I told your BarT would know!
                      But does he know why mine boots to patch 'j'? (see my reference above)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                        But does he know why mine boots to patch 'j'? (see my reference above)
                        I have enough trouble dealing with real numbers, never mind imaginary ones.

Bruce

Comment

I knew you'd be onto it Bruce

My SPD-S doesn't exist yet.

Comment

Oh, it will after another case of G.A.S.!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StuR View Post
                              Oh, it will after another case of G.A.S.!!!
                              Quite possibly!!!
                              First up though is a new PC for my Protools rig, a TDW-20 card, finish off my other five toms, finish building my A to E cymbals and buy a new grand piano

Comment

Working...
                              X