Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD6 v/s TD12 inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD6 v/s TD12 inputs

Hi Forum.

Great place to hang out and learn about e-kits.

I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate anyone who can answer them.

I currently own a TD6 module with the following setup:
    1 snare, 3 toms, 2 cymbals, bass pedal...

How many more cymbals can I add to my existing setup? Ideally, I would like to add 2-4 more cymbals.

A friend of mine is also offering to sell me one of his DIY pad that he built. Am I able to add the additional pad to my module? Which input would I use?

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a TD12 module and would like to know how many more inputs the module has to offer. Tried the Roland site but didn't get a clear answer.

A new TD12 module is going for $1400cdn dollars....is that a good price?

Thanks.

I assume you have a hi-hat too, so that input is used as well. Ok, that leaves you with one single input free. So, if you use that and split out inputs 5/6 and 7/8, you could add a total of three more cymbals.

The TD-12 gives a total of 12 inputs to the TD-6Vs 9 (11 if you count the splits), not to mention the better quality of samples in the TD-12. Were you going to sell your TD-6V? If not you can daisy chain the two modules and have all those inputs aggregate. That's the way I am set up...TD-12 primary and TD-6V expansion.

As to the DIY pad, you should be able to, just test it out before you buy. As to which input, honestly, the input itself doesn't really matter as you can assign any sound you want to any pad. The markings of Cymbal 1, Tom 1, Snare, and all that are mainly for ease of set up more than saying you HAVE to put a tom on Tom 1. You can put anything on those you want, so long as you understand that some inputs are also labeled specifically for dual-triggering on a dual-zone ride for example.

$1400 CND is $1,379.72 USD, so yeah that's not a bad price. Most of the usual online retailers have them going for $1445 USD ($1,466.52 CND) new. Just as a thought, I got my TD-12 on Ebay used for $800 US...something you might want to consider.
    Last edited by Fullback32; 06-19-08, 03:26 PM.
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

TD-6 Inputs

You should be able to have the following on a (blue) TD-6:

4 Toms (Tom 1 has a rim trigger), 1 Snare, 1 HH, 2 Crash, 1 Ride, 1 Bass & 1 AUX

Total of 11 inputs total. Tom 1 usually needs to be a PD-8 to use the rim trigger. Tom 2 & AUX 1 and Tom 3 & 4 require using a splitter.
      Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Thanks Guys for your response.

I wasn't planning to sell my TD6 since I'm not sure what I can get for it (since the TD9 is out already). Even a new TD6 module is around $600 and my module is only 1.5 years old.

Fullback32 - you mentioned to daisy chain 2 modules together - how do you go about doing that? You need a special cable or something?

Also for the TD12 - you cannot split any inputs? That means it's really offering me 1 additional input then over the TD6 (12 vs 11)?

Comment

Originally posted by VDrummerBoy View Post

I wasn't planning to sell my TD6 since I'm not sure what I can get for it (since the TD9 is out already). Even a new TD6 module is around $600 and my module is only 1.5 years old.

Fullback32 - you mentioned to daisy chain 2 modules together - how do you go about doing that? You need a special cable or something?

Also for the TD12 - you cannot split any inputs? That means it's really offering me 1 additional input then over the TD6 (12 vs 11)?
          Well, yeah, in the end (12 vs 11), but you don't have to split anything out to make it happen. Here's the back of the TD-12.

As far as daisy chaining, you do that via the output jacks of the TD-6V going into the mix-in jack of the TD-12. To do it, you'd need two mono 1/4" cables plugged into a y-adapter (mono female and stereo male). The 1/4'' cables are plugged into the L and R output jacks of the TD-6V then plugged into the female ends of the y-adapter. The male end of the y-adapter is then plugged into the mix-in jack of the TD-12. I used one similar to this.

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-19-08, 04:45 PM.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks Fullback32.

By splitting the inputs, are the sounds compromised at all in any way?

To be clear on this, if I was going to hook up a td6+td12 together, that would give me a total of 23 inputs (12+11)?

Comment

Thanks Fullback32.

By splitting the inputs, are the sounds compromised at all in any way?

To be clear on this, if I was going to hook up a td6+td12 together, that would give me a total of 23 inputs (12+11)?

Yes, a total of 23 if you also split 5/6 and 7/8 on the TD-6V, otherwise 21 total. Splitting the inputs isn't really all that hard, but you need to make sure you get the right cabling and adapters or things will often not trigger right or the volume on the pads can be diminished. There are two really good discussions about it here and here:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40377
              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40448

Daisy-chaining is the easiest way to connect two modules together. WAY easier than going the MIDI route. That being said, when you connect the two modules together this way, pads connected to the TD-6V will use TD-6V sounds...those connected to the TD-12 will use TD-12 sounds. In this configuration, you can't use the TD-6V to trigger TD-12 sounds.

One other thing about daisy-chaining is you have to be careful of cross-talk issues in this set up as changing crosstalk settings on one module won't prevent you from inadvertently triggering a pad connected to the other module. So you either increase physical proximity of the pads to attempt to rid crosstalk or, as I did, tweaked other pad parameters such as sensitivity to eliminate it.

Comment

12 vs 11

It may seem you only have 1 more input with the TD-12 but you get rim triggers on all the toms, 3-way trigger for the ride, etc. So it is really a lot more than just adding one more input. Also, what Fullback said about the sounds and other features of the TD-12 module that blow away the TD-6.

Another option you can use is MIDI. If you MIDI the modules together, you can get two sounds from the same pad. Really nice for layering snares with claps or two cymbals together.
                Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Just an update.

I picked up a used cy-12 for $50cdn and I've plugged that cymbal directly into the td6-module - crash 2 input. Now I've got 2 crashes.

I now have an unused CY-5 (used to be my old high-hat) which I would like to use as a china cymbal.

I understand that I need to buy a "stereo-to-dual-mono" cable in order to split tom3/4. What are the remaining steps to do so?

For your information, I bought and have the vexpression-kits installed on my module. Will I be able to modify the vexpression existing kits to get the china cymbal sound that I desire?

Thanks.

Comment

I now have an unused CY-5 (used to be my old high-hat) which I would like to use as a china cymbal.

I understand that I need to buy a "stereo-to-dual-mono" cable in order to split tom3/4. What are the remaining steps to do so?
                    On a TD-6V, you need to change TrigTyp from Rim to CY Type (see "Connecting Two Pads to Trigger Input 5/6 (TOM2/AUX) and 7/8 (TOM3/4)" on Page 70-71 in the TD-6V manual). Then use EDIT, INST to set the sound.

For your information, I bought and have the vexpression-kits installed on my module. Will I be able to modify the vexpression existing kits to get the china cymbal sound that I desire?
                    Yes.

Bruce
                    Last edited by BarT; 08-01-08, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I got the adapter to split the inputs on my td6 module and the only one that I could find is 2 1/4" stereo female jacks to 1/4" male stereo plug.

Will this work?

Fullback32 mentioned that the 2 female ends would have to be mono....is that going to make a difference?

Comment

I got the adapter to split the inputs on my td6 module and the only one that I could find is 2 1/4" stereo female jacks to 1/4" male stereo plug.

Will this work?
                        No.

Fullback32 mentioned that the 2 female ends would have to be mono....is that going to make a difference?
                        Yes.

Ask in a music store for a "standard insert cable" (also known as a "send and return" cable for mixer effects).

Or order this online for $5 with free shipping: Hosa YPP-117 insert adapter cable

Bruce
                        Last edited by BarT; 08-08-08, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bruce (Bart).....

Just ordered 2 adapters from sweetwater (Derrick)....

Great customer service and very knowledgeable....too bad that they didn't have free shipping to Canada and it will cost me $14us to ship over here.

I went to several local stores here and you have no idea how clueless these sales guys can be when I was asking for the adapter. I was tired of running around looking for the right adapter.

Comment

Working...
                          X