Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling to get Roland kit laid out on MDS-20BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to get Roland kit laid out on MDS-20BK

I use Gibraltar arms and clamps. You can get decent height and positioning with those.
    With a little trial and error and some luck, you will be amazed how much stuff you can get on those racks.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Stingo RAH,

Could you post a picture of your setup so we can see what the issues are?

You may need to mount some of the MDH-10Us with the angle bracket on top and some below. You also may need to mount some behind and some in front......

Comment

Also check out the 18" arms at Dauz.com. I use them for positioning my auxilliary pads.

Comment

On Thomas Lang's V-Drums kit, we mount 8 pads - 4 PD-125 and 4 PD-105 (not including another PD-125 on a snare stand), and 10 cymbal pads- 6 CY-14C, 2 CY-5, 1 CY-12R/C , and 1 CY-15R on a MDS-20BK stand.

Thomas doesn't use a VH-12 (or a hi-hat stand for that matter) in this setup, and the only modifications we have made to his stand(s) is adding an extra rack tube section to accommodate 2 TD-20 modules and an fifth leg assembly (under the extra rack tube) for support.

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
          Could you post a picture of your setup so we can see what the issues are?
          I agree...post some pictures!
          Attached Files

Comment

Those pics of Lang's kit are awesome. Got any more?
            Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
              Those pics of Lang's kit are awesome. Got any more?
              No!

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...0&postcount=21

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=29

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=31

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=35

There are many many more.. here's a few.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 06-19-08, 12:49 AM. Reason: attached more photos

Comment

Wow, those are some great pics Drew, cheers! I noticed from the "Lang custom snake" pic that the great man has 3 -repeat- 3 (well 2 if you wanna get technical ) spare inputs??!! What's going on there?? Come on Mr Lang, do it properly- fill em up will ya!!
                "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Here's a pic i just took. I've managed to get a bit more space to the left of my hats by shifting the td20 out a bit since my first post but the still isn't really the room i need to get the 1st pd85 in (left of hats) that's why it's not mounted on the rack yet lol. I wanna get it up just above the height of the hats and the 2nd pd85 (right of hats) about the same level as the hats but these little Roland clamp arms are way to short. I have a selection of clamps but none fit round the rack tubes. I also have a few 10" arms with a swivel mounted grooved spindal on it that would be perfect for mounting the 2 pd85's but the arm tube size is just alittle to large to get into a roland cymbal/tom mount.

Comment

As you can see the clamp arms are way to short for the job. I would have thought Roland would have come up with something as i can't be the only drummer likes this kinda layout. I guess they figure you'll just buy some non Roland clamp arms.

Comment

You clearly have at least 5-6" (12-15 cm) of tubing to the right of your second PD-105. Although it won't increase the height of the PD-85 (without changing the mounting hardware as Michael Render and stickinthemud suggested), it certainly will gain you some space if you shift the tom pad clamps even a couple of inches/cm to your right.

Comment

You clearly have at least 5-6" (12-15 cm) of tubing to the right of your second PD-105. Although it won't increase the height of the PD-85 (without changing the mounting hardware as Michael Render and stickinthemud suggested), it certainly will gain you some space if you shift the tom pad clamps even a couple of inches/cm to your right.
                        If i do that it'll push the 2nd pd105 under the 2nd cy14c which i don't want, also the may be 5" of space on the tube but the is less than 2" of space between that 2nd pd105 and the 1st pd125. I'm thinking of stripping the rack down and rebuilding it with that left arm up above the 2 centre arms instead of between them but then the 2 pd105's may end up to low.I'm sure i'll get there in the end, just alittle suprised that Roland hasn't already covered this problem of height.

Comment

A gibraltar tom arm just to the right of the module will get you where you want to be.
                          My one module kit has a very similar setup to yours, but I put the 2nd PD-85 between the two PD-125 toms.
                          sigpic

Comment

MDS-20 Rack

Another option would be to use another stand for the PD-85 and some of the cymbals. The 2007 Roland catalog shows a setup with 6 toms like this. I have a setup like this because I'm using two modules and separating some of the parts was easier than dealing with the crosstalk between modules.

Some pictures of my setup are here:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...=15356&page=57
                            Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

I dug out some old Gibraltar tom arms & Universal adjustable Grabber Clamps that i had modified at one end to take larger diamiter tubes. It may not look so pretty but it works So i now i just need another 7 of each if i'm gonna try hook up all the other pads to the rack lol
                              Thanks for your input guys, much appre

Comment

Working...
                              X