Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 on a PDP rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 on a PDP rack

I was thinking of getting a PDP #428310 rack. Would the TD-20 components fit on that rack? I plan on mounting three toms and a cymbal on the front, one tom and a cymbal on the right wing and the module on the left wing. Plus the two crashes on the boom arms. Would everything fit and would it be stable? I'm looking for a quick set-up and break-down. Also, has anyone taken the cables out of the TD-20 rack? How difficult is it to remove? Thanks for the help.

I have a a PDP RACK rack for one of my kits set-ups- superb!
    I basically have a TD-10 KIT set up on it comfortably.
    I have also taken the wire loom out of a td12/td20 rack befeore- no real difficulty to be honest. I'll check to see if I have any photos

SPANNER

Comment

Hi Spanner, thanks for the reply. How many pads and cymbals do you have on the rack and how easy is it to set-up and break down? Thanks again.

Comment

I have 2 x 12 inch toms, 1x 14 inch tom, two cy14's, 1x cy15c/r, pd8 and there is space for more.
        The PDP has plenty of memory locks so it is very easy to strip down and put back up. Also , the clamps are excellent.
        You get a bit more cross talk than with the Roland rack, but that is easy to deal with by adjusting the module .

Comment

Thanks for the information Spanner. I ordered the PDP rack from Woodwind & Brasswind for $339.99 plus $29.94 Standard Express shipping to Hawaii! The package will have everything I need except the cables which I was planning to scavenge from the Roland rack. I'm thinking the cross-talk issues may stem from the fact that the Roland cables are not heavy-duty enough. I might just make another snake with heavy-duty cables and figure out a fast and easy hook-up to the rack. Thanks for your help. Aloha, Ken

Comment

X-Talk is not a problem with the cables. Its caused when vibrations are passed between pads via the mounting hardware. This is more likely to be a problem with a non-Roland rack as the metal clamps will pass more vibration than the plastic ones Roland use. However, as Spanner says, this isn't really that much of a problem to remedy!

Comment

Thanks Ige87, that was very good advice. I might still get another set of cables though. That way if I decide to sell the MDS-20, it will still have the cables running inside. I did a search for the best after-market instrument cables and noticed they were older posts. Maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Aloha, Ken

Comment

TBH, the cables don't need to be anything special. As long as they are hard wearing and reliable you should be fine. One thing to note: some have said that the Neutrik connectors dont mesh perfectly with the jack sockets Roland use causing trigger signals to be sent incorrectly as the spacing of T R and S don't match up exactly. Also, its recommended to stick with right angled jacks for the pad ends, this relieves strain on the cables and will make them, as well as the sockets in the pads, last longer.

Comment

ige87,

Once again you've given me not only good advice but timely too. I just got off the phone with our sound technician who recommended neutrick connectors custom made from Horizon. I'm not sure how much that would have cost but I'm guessing a lot. Thanks again.

Aloha,
                  Ken

Comment

Not a problem! IIRC you can get cables from Roland, but those'd be rather pricey too. Maybe look at the HOSA stuff?

Comment

Thanks ige87, I'm working a deal with a friend for a set of Roland or Hosa cables. Aloha, Ken

Comment

Great! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X