Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Td9K and Cy8 Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Td9K and Cy8 Ride

Hi all,

I've just bought a brand new TD9k. All works fine, except for the ride cymbal...sometimes it didn't take shots even if I raise up the sensitivity to the max. It seems completely random, and I think it happens expecially when it's hitted at the same time of the snare.

I've contacted Roland Italy how tells me to bring the module to a customer care for software upgrading.

Someone had the same experiencies of mine? Upgrading the module can really solve the problem?

p.s.: sorry my poor english

I had a faulty CY8 that shipped with my TD9. It had a 2" dead spot in the center of the edge that failed to trigger most of the time....unless I hit it REALLY hard. Roland replaced it.
    What you need to do is verify if it is the cymbal or something else causing the problem. If you switch the cymbals, does it still happen? Can you get it to happen consistently when NOT hitting the snare? Is there a section of the cymbal that it is happening more?

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
      ...What you need to do is verify if it is the cymbal or something else causing the problem. If you switch the cymbals, does it still happen? Can you get it to happen consistently when NOT hitting the snare? Is there a section of the cymbal that it is happening more?
      That is completely right ... Being a software developer myself, this is what we do whenever something doesn't work. Computers and programs and such are complicated things, so we "isolate the problem" first, as we call it.

The fault may be in the pad, in the cabling, in the sound module, a user fault, a faulty jack, inefficient settings, or something else. So systematically eliminate as many possible errors as you can think of. Once you know what the problem is NOT, then you may be able to tell exactly what it is.

Can you make it happen with the same pad but a different sound? What happens if you plug the same pad into a different input --- try all combinations that you can think of and write down your results. Go over the whole thing again. If you can keep getting the same error under certain circumstances, then you have more or less isolated the problem.

And it helps you find the problem if you only make a SINgle change and then try again. Don't change more than one thing at a time; otherwise, you won't know which change caused the thing to work/fail.
      Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

No, I didn't try anything of what you mention. Simply I've heard a lot of people with the same problem and I was thinking it was a common TD9K/CY8 problem.

I will try tonight all the "solution" you provided me and I'll tell you the results.

Thank you for your suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by leletto View Post
          ...the ride cymbal...sometimes it didn't take shots even if I raise up the sensitivity to the max. It seems completely random, and I think it happens expecially when it's hitted at the same time of the snare.
          Sounds like crosstalk. If you play ONLY the ride, does it ever drop a hit? If it only drops when you hit the ride and another pad at the same time, then it is most likely crosstalk. So, you should reduce the crosstalk setting on your ride cymbal.

-SD-

Comment

Working...
          X