Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-8 fit on Td-3 rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 fit on Td-3 rack?

Hi guys,
    I'm from Australia and I'm new to the forum.. only had my td-3kw kit for about a month and half now..

Yet I'm already lookin at upgrading to a td-8! I found a buy for about AU$600.. good deal?

But my main concern is how I will mount the new module onto the small td3 rack.. I've roughly measured the size of the module on the rack but it looks like a tight fit..

I know the dimensions for the Td3 are 220mm x 144mm x 60mm

And the TD8 is 293mm x 223mm x 80mm..

Has anyone had experience mounting a td8 on this rack?

And also can the TD8 module attach to the stand/holder that the TD3 mounts on?

Sorry for the 100 questions on my first thread

Thanks guys!

Hi there,

Welcome aboard and welcome to the common upgrade path. The TD8 module fits on the same plate as the TD3 - and there's heaps of space for it on the rack - depending on where you mount it and what else you've got there.
    And $600 is a good price for Australia - someone recently tried to sell one on eBay for $899, I think, but there was no interest. I've never seen one locally for less than $550 - and $650 seems to be about average for the past few that I've seen.
    But, beware. That's just the beginning - you'll certainly need some VEX packs to make the most of the module (I'd start with the Master 50 pack!).
    Have fun ...
    BTW, where in OZ are you. I'm in Brisbane.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

Thanks allanjohn,

I just finished looking at the TD8 manual actually and it says to mount it on a (MDS-7U, MDS-8, or MDS-10)... yet i only have a MDS-3C rack

So where do you mount it on the rack? I have mine setup so the hi-hat (cy-5) is to the left of the td3 module.. and I have a crash setup to the right of the module.. but this is all on the one arm.. so it seems like a tight fit..

Is this module still effective with the standard pd-8 toms, cy-5/8, KD-8 kick pad, and a mesh snare pad (PDX-8)? Or did you go hard out and buy a set of PD80 mesh pads and such to suit the TD8 module?

Hahaha the VEX upgrades is half the reason I wanted a TD8.. master 50 seems awesome.. great sounding kits even on the TD8 are they??

I'm from Sydney btw.. and that guy selling it for $899 dropped it to $699 and someone beat me to buying it haha..

Thanks for your help

Jay.

Comment

My first electronic kit was a TD-3, but I upgraded with a used TD-8 module and was able to make it fit just fine:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...5&d=1155693937
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I also upgraded from td3 to td8 and they fit straight on the same mount and its a very worthwhile upgrade. For rim response the pd8's are probably better as all the inputs other than the snare are piezo/switch. Mesh is better to play but I believe the pdx8 doesn't have positional sensing as a snare. All the other pads work fine with the module and the 1.10 update gives you the correct settings for the newer model pads.

I live pretty much half way between Sydney and Brisbane...
          My Kit
          http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Originally posted by jayrc33 View Post
            Thanks allanjohn,

Ithat guy selling it for $899 dropped it to $699 and someone beat me to buying it haha..
            Jay.
            So did you find another one? As for kit config: I'm using 4 DIY mesh pads - two 12" and two 10" - plus some DIY percussion triggers.

My set-up looks like this:
            Attached Files
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

So did you find another one? As for kit config: I'm using 4 DIY mesh pads - two 12" and two 10" - plus some DIY percussion triggers.
              Yeah I found another one which I worked a deal with the guy for $600.. and he has an extra PD-8.. and from the looks of V(ader)DRUMMER's kit (thanks for the pic btw, helped heaps ) I could fit another tom on as well!

For rim response the pd8's are probably better as all the inputs other than the snare are piezo/switch. Mesh is better to play but I believe the pdx8 doesn't have positional sensing as a snare.
              Nawww.. I was lookin forward to hearing the positional sensing on the snare
              That's ok though, more to upgrade in time!
              Thanks M_C_M

Nice DIY job allanjohn on those toms.. would've guessed they'd come straight off the production line!

Btw I laughed at the difference in your two pictures V(ader)DRUMMER.. gone from the basic kit like I almost have and gone hard out with E-cymbals and all..
              I can tell that'll be my kit in about a year or two's time haha

Thanks alot for your help guys! TD8 it is for me

Comment

.. would've guessed they'd come straight off the production line!
                Not if you look closely! Next job is converting a Gibraltar practice kick pad I picked up yesterday at Cash Converters!
                . digitalDrummer
                Review index

Comment

thanks for the pic btw, helped heaps
                  No problem. Happy I could help.

Btw I laughed at the difference in your two pictures V(ader)DRUMMER.. gone from the basic kit like I almost have and gone hard out with E-cymbals and all..
                  Let that be a lessen to you on the dangers of severe G.A.S.!
                  >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Working...
                  X