Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

stick rebounding from V-cust heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick rebounding from V-cust heads

Greetings V-drummers,

I am breaking in a new Vcustom kit and the nylon mesh heads are taking some getting used to. I know there's an acclimation curve, but the sticks rebound so hard off the nylon mesh that I find myself stumbling over my sticks. Adjusting to the V heads is taking some getting used to. The PD-80R head is the toughest. I am having great difficulty settling in on a comfortable snare tension and it makes holding down a steady backbeat during a pattern a real problem. I've experimented with different sticks. Heavier seems better (747's, for instance), but then I feel like I'm going to break my heads when I really start grooving. Any suggestions on establishing solid balance between head tension and stick design would be great. Stick recommendations are good to. Right now I am doing a lot of modern rock style drumming with my band, so I can afford to be a little heavy handed most of the time. But, when trying to be very dynamic during tunes (and when playing rudiments and such during solo practice) I want to be able to work jazz and shuffle backbeats without my sticks bouncing all over the place, resulting in inconsistent attack stick attack on the head. Thanks a bunch!

I recommend electric sticks.

Hehehe. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

....as long as they're the wireless ones. Having said that, if Mud were to use the 'wired' ones, he could in some way use the wires to anchor the E-sticks and avoid the high bouncing?

Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Every once in a while things just don't feel right when i'm playing, i just don't feel comfortable...soooo i go ahead and fool around with the positioning of my set and the tightness of the heads. My advice would just be to keep fooling around with the head tightness until you find the sweet spot. You'll find it eventually. Right now i'm using Chad's Fire Sticks by vic firth...they seem to be workign pretty well. Good luck brotha

the freak

Comment

I have been using 747 for ever and have not had any problems with damaging the heads of my PD-120's. They are 2 years old and look great except where my daughter thought green highlighter would look nice on my snare.

------------------
          Ted H.
          www.tocsinrocks.com
          Ted H.

Comment

When not using the electric sticks, I've also been sticking with the 747's. I also like the Dave Weckl signature (red) and evolution (orange) sticks for a change of pace. They all seem to be in the same weight/balance range.

Alot of guys seem to like the heads tuned really tight. I have found that using the tuning aid set to normal works best for me. Tight seems to occasionally cause mistriggering.

The heads are in great shape after 26 months of use (ok, it wasn't non-stop playing, I used the can once and had a nap or two).
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
              I recommend electric sticks.

Hehehe. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
              HEY Guys! That's my line. (I knew I should have copyrighted that advice)

-Marc.

Comment

I have switched from my Vater Power 5B’s to the Ahead drumsticks (Tommy Lee – concert model; .595” Dia., .035” Wall, Concert-17” Long) and they seem to lessen the bounce even from my Hart Series X, dual ply mesh heads – which are less bouncy by far then Roland mesh heads.

Roland mesh heads are more bouncy and do require some getting used too. Try to lower your tension on the pads and in the processes if you find that you are getting some “spikes” coming through or a “double trigger” will happen, raise the mask time a bit – 12 or 16 seem to work for this.

------------------
                szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited June 07, 2001).]
                Studio

Comment

What prices do Hart's 10" and 12" double-mesh heads go for? I couldn't find them on the Hart Dynamics website...thanks!
                  E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
                  A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy C:
                    What prices do Hart's 10" and 12" double-mesh heads go for? I couldn't find them on the Hart Dynamics website...thanks!

Hart does not make 12” heads at this time – 10” for toms and kick & 13” for snare. They might make a 12” if you ask them. They do custom jobs at time, so would give them a holler.

If you are looking for heads only and not the pads themselves, then I might recommend http://www.sepdrums.com [/URL] maybe he could be more helpful. Or try to contact Hart directly and ask them, they are a really good company to deal with and they will help you.

Otherwise try - http://www.hartdynamics.com/home/index.html and click on PRICING on top of the page. You will get the price list for their inventory.

Good luck.

------------------
                    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited June 07, 2001).]
                    Studio

Comment

Working...
                    X