Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPDS - signal to noise ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPDS - signal to noise ratio

I've had my SPD-S for two months. Despite my best efforts, the samples I create in Cubase seem to be much lower in volume than the factory preset samples. Consequently, there is a bit of a hiss through the PA at high volumes - a poor signal-to-noise ratio that is sometimes problematic.
    I normalize each sample before saving it on the CF card and then importing into the SPD-S.
    Re-sampling each .wav file directly in the SPD-S (and in the process boosting the signal by the maximum 400%) does seem to work, but is a major hassle when I'm importing dozens of files.
    I'd prefer to get it right directly out of Cubase.
    Anyone else have this problem?

t

Are you normalizing via Cubase? What kind of clips? Long ones? Short ones?
    I find it best to do normalization outside of Cubase. I use WaveLab and Audacity and have never had trouble with my samples.
    sigpic

Comment

most of the .wav files are short, but I also have a few that are about 10 seconds long.
      I have only used Cubase to do the normalization.
      A friend of mine did the normalization in ProTools on his Mac, but the SPD-S would not import the files. I can't remember exactly the error message. That was sort of strange.
      I'll attempt another means of normalization and see what happens.

Comment

Let me know how that goes. If you want me to try normalizing one of them, send me a PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X