Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Alesis Trigger IO as MIDI interface to access module sounds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Alesis Trigger IO as MIDI interface to access module sounds.

I have seldom had a need to MIDI into my modules since I have multiple sound modules and have always used the onboard sounds. But I will be getting a Trigger IO mainly just to test out various aspects and triggering.

I just want to see if I am on the right track.... Let's say I want to add a cymbal trigger to trigger a crash sound from my TD-20. Am I correct in assuming that if I choose a crash instrument sound that I am not already using in a particular kit I should be fine? IE, I don't need to use only the percussion instrument group right?

Yeah, shocking as it may seem, I am still basically a MIDIOT That is what happens when using 2 TD-20's, HPD-15, and an SPD-S.... with all those modules add-on triggering via MIDI is not usually needed
    J
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Ahahahah Jman .... talk about MIDIot .. here I am !

I use one .. sometimes using the TD20 only as a MIDI thru device so I can trigger BFD's sounds on both TD20/Alesis ... sometimes triggering the TD20 sounds BUT using the percussion groups.

Note: without using the perc group .... if you have mono pads connected to the TD20 .. what you can do is use the MIDI notes assigned to the rims to trigger pads connected to the Alesis. This is the only way I see to trigger it without using the percussion group. Do I dare asking you why you wanna avoid using the perc groups?

Just as a reminder Joe K posted a review not that long ago on the Alesis .. my expericne with it so far concluded the same.. dual piezo pads connected to the snare input will trigger fine .. same with rim switch pads connected to the ride input will give you two zones as well without much trouble . Apart from it .... mono pads through the other inputs will work just fine.... maybe after their firmware update (if any) we should be able two use dual piezo/rim switch pads all around....

Pim
    Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Thanks P... Yeah... I have seen the reviews. I am planning to see how my DIY stuff will work with the Trigger IO. My Cymbal triggers are piezo switch. So they will work as single zone with choke. The drums are piezo/piezo... but since some other brands... Pintech, RET .... for 2 ... reportedly are compatible.... thought I'd do a little DIY testing ... I believe the hotter piezos, and possibly changing the head piezo polarity might be the ticket....

I have no need for the Trigger I/O actually, but my endless DIY curiosity is aroused.
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Cool J.

Do not forget to label your cables (I am sure you do anyways...) ... I forgot to label mine and the Alesis do not show at the screen which pad has been hit.. :-(

Pim
        Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
          Cool J.

Do not forget to label your cables (I am sure you do anyways...) ... I forgot to label mine and the Alesis do not show at the screen which pad has been hit.. :-(

Pim
          Thanks P, good tips! I should have it in a couple weeks or so.... I'll prolly have more questions then.... I am planning to test this with my drums without tweaking the triggers to begin with.... just the I/O. Then going a little deeper to see what kind of DIY tweaks to the pad might work best for this thing....

Comment

I have one that I use for BFD2. I can say that your diy cymbals will probably be on the very hot side. The IO is VERY sensitive so much in fact i'm thinking of installing some 100k inline pots to the triggers I use for it so I can have more controll over it.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge201 View Post
              I have one that I use for BFD2. I can say that your diy cymbals will probably be on the very hot side. The IO is VERY sensitive so much in fact i'm thinking of installing some 100k inline pots to the triggers I use for it so I can have more controll over it.
              Interesting... I've used these all along with the Roland module and the sensitivity is pretty close to standard CY settings. So the IO must be more atuned to a weaker signal... I wonder if just doubling the layer of vinyl under the jack box might help?? Funny, the piezo in that box is not even placed on the side of the box closest to the cymbal, but on the away side. Is your vinyl the same thickness as what I am using?

Comment

Yes, In fact I used the same part number. I'm using bigger piezo's so that could be a factor. It's got good tweakability IMO. I love it as a second midi interface next to my TD3 and for the price you cant beat it. All TRS inputs and it seems to work great with my 2 zone cymbals. Just a little on the hot side with my setup is all.

Comment

Hey JMan,
                  I would like to hear how well it does off your DIY pads.
                  My experience is Pintech, Hart, Ddrum worked well.
                  The Rolands....ummm...not so good.

The Talented Mr Render had an idea of sticking an multimeter up to the pads and see what the Rolands are pushing out compared to other pads.

The more i mess with it, the more i likey!

Comment

I know Pim already asked, but I'm curious as well... Why do you want to stay away from using the percussion groups dude?
                    "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                    Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Originally posted by Fig Newton View Post
                      Hey JMan,
                      I would like to hear how well it does off your DIY pads.
                      My experience is Pintech, Hart, Ddrum worked well.
                      The Rolands....ummm...not so good.

The Talented Mr Render had an idea of sticking an multimeter up to the pads and see what the Rolands are pushing out compared to other pads.

The more i mess with it, the more i likey!
                      I received the Trigger IO today and I did some testing today. Realizing I really just wanted to test my triggers, and PIM's tip about caution about changing settings inadvertently on the wrong pad (thanks PIM) I did this the easy way. Plugged in the kick... tested, and tweaked, unplugged the kick. Plugged in the snare.... tested, and tweaked, unplugged the snare..... etc... One pad at a time. So far I have tested my kick, snare, tom, and a cymbal. These are all my own pads of course. I am just testing the trigger response MIDI'd into my TD-20.

All the pads I tested worked alright with the IO.... By alright I mean, I was able to adjust the parameters to where things worked acceptably according to how the Trigger IO is designed to function anyway. My pads if anything are pretty hot, the Gain has to be set pretty low, but within the units boundaries.
                      Kick.... took a while to dial in my 22 kick, but am reasonably satisfied with the response. A little bit tricky finding the balance with threshold and retrig setting so all the beats were detected but no double triggering .... seems to be OK ... I like my response better when just triggering straight through my TD-20, but like I say, acceptable.

Snare: No problem triggering head and rim, and no problem getting head when desired and rim when desired.

Toms: Same as snare.

Cymbals, The IO as mentioned is compatible with Piezo/Switch pads but only as single zone with choke. So, when triggering the TD-20 via MIDI I was able to get the bow sound.... and can tell the choke is working because when I hit it no sound, but when I squeeze it the rim lights... cymbals work fine.

OK, so yes the pads all function.

As far as response though.... and I am reasonably confident it is not my pads, but just the trigger detection of the Trigger IO.... I can't get a buzz roll anything near as good as the TD-20 through the IO.... nor cymbal crescendo, tom roll...

So honestly, if I ever did go to a VST sample based program, I would still use a TD-module to trigger that..... and no, I have no plans to go PC/sample direction, but I just believe the module would still translate into a better interface.... IMO anyway.

Not runnin down the Trigger IO though.... very reasonably priced and worth the price I'd say for what you get....

And Fig... I didn't mean to gear this whole post toward you.... I just was getting back with my testing results and you had asked. And by all means, if you have it running well for your setup, if it aint broke don't fix it right?
                      Last edited by JmanWord; 06-18-08, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I don't own a Trigger IO but it's my understanding that you can effectively have as many zones and what not on your cymbals as you like. You just need to dedicate an input per function. 1 zone 1 choke will use an entire TRS input. 2 zone 1 choke. 1 full TRS plus half of another. 3 zone plus choke, you'll use 2 entire TRS inputs to accomodate the 4 separate signals. However, I'm not sure how you'd choke multiple zones with a single choke as you'd have to assign a single MIDI choke signal to choke off just one of the other zones. So I'd think realistically at most you could do bow and bell with a choke to choke the bow sound.

Keep in mind I'm throwing out my thoughts based on what I've read, and I think I've read about almost everything that's available online... which isn't a whole lot, surprisingly. There's simply not a lot of user generated info on this product even though it's been available for months.

Comment

Well I have had mine for about three weeks and I have spent countless hours trying to get it perfect. I have it real close but to me as a TMI it's good for single zone pads and cymbals with 1 zone plus choke. If I had to do it over again I would buy another TD3 to use as a TMI. I run BFD2 100% of the time so it works ok for me in that regard but I would not expect spectacular results with it, my TD3 kicks the crap out of it as far as tweakability goes. If it was me and I just wanted a TMI I would get a new TD3 or a good used lower end Roland module.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge201 View Post
                            Well I have had mine for about three weeks and I have spent countless hours trying to get it perfect. I have it real close but to me as a TMI it's good for single zone pads and cymbals with 1 zone plus choke. If I had to do it over again I would buy another TD3 to use as a TMI. I run BFD2 100% of the time so it works ok for me in that regard but I would not expect spectacular results with it, my TD3 kicks the crap out of it as far as tweakability goes. If it was me and I just wanted a TMI I would get a new TD3 or a good used lower end Roland module.
                            That pretty much sums up my first impressions of the Trigger IO also. If this were the main interface I was going to use I would much prefer a module, even a TD-3.

Now, as a unit just to add some extra inputs to a kit, I can see this as being pretty useful. You could add some dual piezo pads. And using 2 single piezo pads into one input of the Trigger IO with a simple insert cable
                            http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117/
                            means you could expand your kit substantially for a very reasonable price
                            Last edited by JmanWord; 06-19-08, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                              Now, as a unit just to add some extra inputs to a kit, I can see this as being pretty useful. You could add some dual piezo pads. And using 2 single piezo pads into one input of the Trigger IO with a simple insert cable
                              http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117/
                              means you could expand your kit substantially for a very reasonable price

I was thinking of the same thing along those lines of using it to just trigger single zone pads or objects say for one large percussion setup to supliment my main kit and pick up a second TD3 for my cymbals.

Comment

Working...
                              X