Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficulty with CY-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty with CY-8

I just bought the new Roland TD-9SX kit. After I bought it I brought it home and checked everything out. I don't remember having any problems with the CY-8 cymbal. Since then I can't get the rim trigger to work. I thought it was the cymbal but I switched it with the ride and the physical triggers work on the cymbal so I guess it's either the cable or something in the processor. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

After about a week on mine, the CY8 developed a dead spot about 2 inches in size, right in the front (of course) where I needed to hit it REALLY hard to trigger the rim at all. Roland sent me a new CY8.
    I sat down last night with the new one, and now I am experiencing something new. I have an additional CY8, plugged into the module in the extra cymbal input, using the cable that came with the CY8. When I hit the rim, it shows "RIM" on the display and then immediately goes to the "HEAD" display and sound. Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but figured I'd float it out there.....

Comment

When I first bought my td-3, I had the same problem after 6 months or so. I took the cy-8 to the dealer 3 times before giving up when my warranty expired. I thought it might have just been my hitting it wierdly - about once out of every 20 hits or so it wouldn't trigger.
      Still have the problem but damned if I can do anything about it anymore.

TL

Comment

your not alone! one of my CY-8's is terrible, you literally have to smash it to get the rim shot and focus consciously just to get a proper head shot. the volume/sensitivity is all over the place too. i was told by the person i bought it off that it was because of the cable, but im not too sure about that, none the less im going to buy a new cable today! i'll let you know if i have any luck

Comment

I have 2 used CY-8s. They both worked flawlessly for about a month. Now suddenly the rim is nearly dead on one of them. (not your fault Mark, They were fine when I got them) Dead hit 2 out of 3 times. I will test the cable theory but I doubt it is the culprit. I would like to know if anyone successfully fixes one.
          Stuff to hit

Comment

just thought id let everyone know that, after 3 different (2 new) cables, both my CY-8's suck a$$.

i really have to hit the rim hard to get a decent sound.

the dual zoning and dual instrument sound was annoying me so much when they malfunctioned that i ended up setting both rim and head to the same sound so that even if it malfunctions it's still going to make the correct sound.

looks like ill be hookin myself some CY-12's n 14's!!

Comment

I bought a td-3 in Jan of 2009. I'm also having problems with the CY-8's. Once in awhile i don't get a sound out of one and the other I'm starting to get like a malfunctioning double hit.

Any Ideas?
              TD-3 with Pearl Eliminator P2002C Double Pedal

Comment

Originally posted by snotman40 View Post
                I bought a td-3 in Jan of 2009. I'm also having problems with the CY-8's. Once in awhile i don't get a sound out of one and the other I'm starting to get like a malfunctioning double hit.

Any Ideas?

I am also experiencing double hits, or sometimes the bow sound triggers instead of the rim (even though I am hitting the rim)

I have tried many things, including: changing the inclination, area of impact and height of the cymbal with respect to the hit.

And all of the related parameters.

Sometimes it works for a while but then it comes back.

It seems that tightening/loosening it has the biggest impact, if it is too tight it is more frequent to get double-hits but also if I leave it completely loose.

Maybe I just need to find the sweet spot and glue the tightening nut there.

Comment

If you search in here, you'll see many years of people (like me) *****ing about the CY-8.

That's cold comfort to you having problems now but I'm glad you're sharing your problems and frustration.

The "pound the rim until it bleeds" approach to getting a rim shot is something I experienced with my CY-8 on an older module.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: CY-8s are not a product Roland should be proud of. Get a CY-12 if you can or better yet, a Yamaha PCY-130S or PCY-135.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                  TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I have tried a lot of ways to fix these CY-8's also. I tried a lot of things with the crosstalk and gain. I saw one thing on another message that due the the cymbals moving a lot, they hit the metal nut below and that would cause another sound, but I didn't that that was happening to mine.

I think the CY-8's might just kinda suck.

Comment

are the cy-12's awesome and how much do they cost?

Comment

maybe i'll have to deal with the cy-8's since the cy-12's are about $250.00

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                          I've said it before and I'll say it again: CY-8s are not a product Roland should be proud of. Get a CY-12 if you can or better yet, a Yamaha PCY-130S or PCY-135.

Grog and are 100% sympatico on this...

GET THE YAMAHA CYMBALS!!!!

They are cheaper and in teh case of the CY8 at least.. more durable. They are very similar in feel, weight, and responce to the Roland CY14. (Which is a great cymbal...just a little high $$ wise)

If you have a local music store that stocks the higher end Yamaha kits go try them out compared to the Roland cymbals. The crashes (PCY103s and newer PCY135) are 100% compatible right out of the box with Roland modules.

E
                          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I spent a year trying to "fix" my CY-8 to no avail. Sold it on ebay and have been bad mouthing it ever since.

If you go back far enough, somebody had a physical fix for the cymbal that had something to do with massaging and moving the rubber around. I UTFSE and couldn't stumble on the right search terms to dredge that up. It also involved peeling the rubber back, ie, pulling it away from the mount where it's affixed. I never wanted to hack up a cymbal like that so never tried. Plus, I was never sure if that "fix" was actually aimed at the problems all of us have been describing off and on over the years.

Another, far simpler fix, is simply to switch the thing to a ride, china or something else. Actually, I tried it as a 2-zone ride and found the same problems. But if used as a static HH, it worked okay and obviously as a supporting cymbal like china/splash, it worked just fine.

CY-12s are excellent cymbals. The difference between it and a CY-8 is night and day...as is the price. Standard internet price is $245 although you can go thru RMC Audio and BPM Music and get it for a little bit less. Ebay is another option although I currently don't see any CY-12Rs up there. One just sold new there for $190.

Another lower priced alternative that I mentioned above is Yamaha's PCY series. The newer PCY-135 is available at RMC Audio:

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Yamaha...l-p/pcy135.htm

You can't beat the price and the cymbal does *everything* a CY-12R does. I have two PCY-130Ses (the previous model) and they're fantastic.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I have two CY-8's and I'm noticing dud hits - and on the crash it seems to choke without me squeezing the rim.....?!?!

@Grog:
                              Is the PCY-135 compatible with a TD-6v?
                              I am looking to get something to replace those two CY-8's - probably two 135's.
                              I'm looking for 3-zone cymbals at the moment, because I may expand to something like a TD-9 eventually, but if the 135's aren't compatible I'll have to go for 130's?
                              Last edited by mbishop93; 03-21-09, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X