Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dramatic improvement - FD8 / CY5 with my TD20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramatic improvement - FD8 / CY5 with my TD20

Edit - I have just updated my findings on this HERE

I just tried an experiment with my TD20 to see if I could get a wider foot range between fully closed and fully open hat sounds with my FD8 / CY5 on my TD20 and discovered the following to work far better.

* Changed the controller type to VH12
    * Left all settings at factory except....
    * Set foot splash sensitivity to +10
    * Set offset manually to -70 (minus 70)

I now get the in between hat sounds with much greater control than before.
    I've never had a problem getting foot 'chick' or 'splash' sounds and these are still just as effective with the above settings.
    The only thing I was ever unhappy with was getting those between closed and open sounds and the above has completely resolved that.

Yes, I did search for this topic before posting this and, although I found a multitude of posts about the FD8, I did not find the information above. Sometimes it pays to experiment
    Last edited by SuperPuss; 06-05-08, 05:50 PM.

Nice post Puss!

-Oddly enough I always found the "splash" sounds a lot easier to find on a controller like the FD7/8 versus the stand models I've tried. (I still own and use the Hart Epedal stand thing, have tried the VH12...but had some issues with it.)

Have you tried any of the stand up controllers like the VH11 or VH12..??

-Curious to get what your take would be on those.

E
    Last edited by evil1rox; 06-04-08, 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
      .....Have you tried any of the stand up controllers like the VH11 or VH12..??

-Curious to get what your take would be on those.

E
      Nope. I can't fit those into my center mounted hat arrangement. I have been contemplating a cable operated hat setup but it isn't a high priority. I'm actually pretty happy with my FD / CY combination for now.

Comment

Hi SP -

Good tip! After a few days digging deep into my new TD12, I also left the hi-hat setting as VH12, even though like you I still use my trusty FD8/CY5 combo, and it seems to work fine, although I haven't fiddled with splash sensitivity and offset. I'll give it a go right now - that's if I can stop playing long enough to have a fiddle.

LOVING your kit progress BTW!

Comment

Nice. The FD8 fits my needs and I am not looking to update to the VH series, but I will try this on the TD12. Anyone know if the vex packs change your pad settings? I have not looked at this after I loaded them.

Comment

Originally posted by Grazza View Post
            Hi SP -

Good tip! After a few days digging deep into my new TD12, I also left the hi-hat setting as VH12, even though like you I still use my trusty FD8/CY5 combo, and it seems to work fine, although I haven't fiddled with splash sensitivity and offset. I'll give it a go right now - that's if I can stop playing long enough to have a fiddle.

LOVING your kit progress BTW!
            Cheers on my kit progress
            Post how you get on with your trial of these settings. I'm keen to hear if this works as well with everyone's FD8's. Sounds like you're loving your TD12.
            Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
            Nice. The FD8 fits my needs and I am not looking to update to the VH series, but I will try this on the TD12. Anyone know if the vex packs change your pad settings? I have not looked at this after I loaded them.
            There's a topic discussing this very thing right now although it started off being TD8 specific HERE.

Comment

Yeah I saw that, but I could not find the patience to read through it all ....

Comment

Well SP, I tried this, but with mixed results initially. When I set the trigger type as VH12, I just couldn't get a fast hi-hat response when I adjusted the offset (too much delay between hitting the pad and the open sound), so I eventually dialled back in VH 11/FD and just adjusted the sensitivity, which already gives a better response, so I'm basically happy!

Hope that helps.

Comment

Similar with my findings on the TD12. The VH12 does provide more of a range, from a "tight close" to fully open. However, the VH11 better suited my needs. Great find though, its all about custom settings to meet the needs of the indavidual.

Comment

Actually guys, I have found the same thing. When I first did this mod, I had unplugged my foot controller and powered up the module with it still unplugged (I was rearranging cables). I plugged the FD8 back in with the power still on and that is when I changed the settings to the VH12 and adjusted as above.
                    However, when I came back today and played (powering up the module as normal with everything connected) the FD8 didn't respond nearly as well and had a lag in operation. The range was still better but the lag was annoying so I have gone back to my VH11 / FD settings too.

Now, if only I could work out what the difference in calibration was that caused my initial settings change to work so well.....

Comment

Working...
                    X