Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FD-8 Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD-8 Volume

The FD-8's volume is somewhat low. I've done a search of the forum and reviewed the suggested fix of taking the unit apart and making a few modifications. I have already boosted the volume to 15 and adjusted the sensitivity to 16. Are there any other options, besides lowering the volume for all of the other triggers? Also, could you insert a small signal booster (preamp) between the FD-8 and the TD-3?

Thanks again,

Originally posted by WarMan View Post
    The FD-8's volume is somewhat low. I've done a search of the forum and reviewed the suggested fix of taking the unit apart and making a few modifications. I have already boosted the volume to 15 and adjusted the sensitivity to 16.
    Sensitivity will only affect the volume of stick hits on the hi-hat pad, not pedal closing. And with the maximum setting of 16 it's likely to mean that every hi-hat pad strike will be maximum volume; no ability to play the hi-hat pad with soft or medium volume hits, so no dynamic range.

Are there any other options, besides lowering the volume for all of the other triggers?
    I don't think so.

Also, could you insert a small signal booster (preamp) between the FD-8 and the TD-3?
    My understanding of the FD pedals is that it's all resistance, so there's no actual signal to boost. And I think any electrical modification would probably screw up the resistance values required for detecting open to closed.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the response.

Comment

From the TD-3 manual, Page 42 - Hi-Hat Control Pedal Adjustment

Another tip BarT suggested that worked really well for me, is to adjust velocity curve (pg 54) to LOUD1 (Edit > Cur; Ld1) which reduces the difference between soft and hard hits. Ld2 removes it altogether which gives unrealistic response, but LD1 made a huge difference in the adjustability of all of my pads. Note that when you change the instrument sound of a pad, you must re-adjust the curve as well. I found that one out the hard way...
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
        X