Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import Quick Record from TD9 via USB into Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Quick Record from TD9 via USB into Mac

I am new to the V-Drum scene. Forgive me if this may have been talked about somewhere. I read in the book for the TD9 that you can save your Quick Record groove to a USB Flash Drive. I was successful at doing so as well as naming it. However when I load the USB flash drive into my mac the TD9 created a file named Roland with a folder named TD9 and the file it created in there was a SEQD001.TD9. It didn't take the Name that I gave it on the TD9.

It says the kind of file is a Unix Executable File.

I thought it would record it as a .wav or an .aiff.

Someone please help. I would like to bring my drum track into Garage band or Soundtrack Pro. Am I missing a step?

Thanks,
    Randy Van Patten
    Vanz Drumming
    www.vanzdrumming.com
    Randy Van Patten
    Vanz Drummming
    www.vanzdrumming.com

Hello and welcome to the forum. You can't take the quick record files themselves and import them. According to Drew, they are a proprietary format based on midi, but not actually midi. The only way to do what you are trying is to connect the module to the PC and record the midi from the output.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
      According to Drew, they are a proprietary format based on midi, but not actually midi.
      Based on MIDI, but not actually MIDI? Did I post that?? I must be nuts!

From 1-24-2008:

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
      "Quick Record" performances (drum parts played and recorded from pads) actually contain MIDI data, however they are saved to a USB flash drive in a proprietary TD-9 format.

Comment

How extremely Frustrating

Wow... one of the selling points where I bought the kit was that feature. What If I created a really cool sequence... I can't just save it and post on my site or email it. Bummer. That is very frustrating. Thanks,

Randy Van Patten
        Vanz Drumming
        www.vanzdrumming.com
        Randy Van Patten
        Vanz Drummming
        www.vanzdrumming.com

Comment

Originally posted by vanzdrumming View Post
          Wow... one of the selling points where I bought the kit was that feature. What If I created a really cool sequence... I can't just save it and post on my site or email it. Bummer. That is very frustrating. Thanks,

Randy Van Patten
          Vanz Drumming
          www.vanzdrumming.com

T thought it was going to do the same thing but was aware of this before my purchase, I am still very please with the 9's the snare response and sensitivity is insane!
          Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

Originally posted by vanzdrumming View Post
            Wow... one of the selling points where I bought the kit was that feature.
            I'm curious...did the store that you bought your TD-9 kit from claim that you could open/import Quick Record files with external software?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if someone cracks the code soon.
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

I actually PREFER it to be in the TD9 format and not a sound file. The quick record can be played back USING ANY KIT, meaning I can record a really nice groove, and then test it out on any kit I create. VERY cool.
                If it just made a sound file, it would be much more restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
                  Based on MIDI, but not actually MIDI? Did I post that?? I must be nuts!
                  Sorry to mis-quote you Drew, but thats how my sleep and stress addled brain remembered what you said. Kinda similar no?

Comment

That is a great feature, however it doesn't get me back on my computer with my sound file. What is the point of saving it to a flash drive if I can't do anything external with it.

Randy Van Patten
                    www.vanzdrumming.com
                    Randy Van Patten
                    Vanz Drummming
                    www.vanzdrumming.com

Comment

Yup... that is what I was told. You can import tunes and record what you are playing and then bring them back into your computer for whatever you need.

Very Frustrating after spending over $2200!!!!

Randy Van Patten
                      www.vanzdrumming.com
                      Randy Van Patten
                      Vanz Drummming
                      www.vanzdrumming.com

Comment

Another note... I have been teaching drums for over 10 yrs and I bought this kit as a tool. I have never ever been a fan of electronic kits until I was sold on this one. I love how it feels and sounds, however one of the benefits I would have liked is to be able to record my students or a groove for them to work on and send them home with it on a USB flash drive. That is one of the big selling points I got sold on when I bought the kit. I guess it was a bunch of crap. I bought it didn't I.

Randy Van Patten
                        www.vanzdrumming.com
                        Randy Van Patten
                        Vanz Drummming
                        www.vanzdrumming.com

Comment

Randy, I understand your frustration about the TD-9 not having a Quick Record file import feature... and I agree that having that ability would be would be a fantastic tool.

I am also concerned about misleading information being given to customers in a store about our products, especially with such a new model. We do our best to educate and inform our dealers and their salespeople about our products before and after the products arrive in their stores, and I'm sorry that you were given inaccurate details.

Comment

Drew this may be a little off topic do you know if Roland plan to taking advantage of the USB drive like offering us additional songs or sounds that could be imported in the future? The good thing about the USB drive is someone could probably write a program that will let you play files off of the flash drive or possibly even breaking up your kit for mixing when recording.
                            Last edited by Bobvan; 05-30-08, 02:44 AM.
                            Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

Thanks Drew. Does anyone have an inexpensive way of doing this transfer via Midi to my Mac?
                              Randy Van Patten
                              Vanz Drummming
                              www.vanzdrumming.com

Comment

Working...
                              X