Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDStudio won't open some SYX files.. Is there a way to convert them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDStudio won't open some SYX files.. Is there a way to convert them?

I never had an issue with VDL. I have both, I think VDL has more useful features. You could always keep both ...

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
      I never had an issue with VDL. I have both, I think VDL has more useful features. You could always keep both ...

Comment

Have you tried doing a bulk dump directly into TTStudio, rather than trying to open a SYX?

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
          Have you tried doing a bulk dump directly into TTStudio, rather than trying to open a SYX?
          Thats not my problem.. The problem is that I am building a collection of 'kits'.. Some I am buying from VEX.. Some I downloading as 'User Created Kits'.. Some I will be creating on my module and downloading into TDS.

The point is that SOME of the SYX kits (that I have downloaded from this forum and other users) won't open in TDS...

Of course TDS will do a bulk download (although I cant' do this yet, as I don't have a working MIDI cable).. But one of the uses of a 'library application' is the ability to open SYX files provide from elsewhere and thats the functionality I am having problems with!

Jon

Comment

I never said there was anything wrong with VDL. Its only TDStudio which is at fault..
            I'm just saying that I never had an issue with VDL -- seems very stable.

Comment

I'm just saying that I never had an issue with VDL -- seems very stable.

Comment

You can still test kits using VDL. Just load one kit into a spare slot.... and VDL isn't expensive by any means. Well worth the money IMO

Comment

I think VDL is a more powerful tool compared to TDS. You can take kits and instruments from a collection of kits and re-assign them to custom kits, which I find very useful. I do not think TDS provides this (although I spent less than 5 minutes with it). Don't think TDS allows you to rearrange the instruments between kits. I could be wrong.

Comment

I think VDL is a more powerful tool compared to TDS. You can take kits and instruments from a collection of kits and re-assign them to custom kits, which I find very useful. I do not think TDS provides this (although I spent less than 5 minutes with it). Don't think TDS allows you to rearrange the instruments between kits. I could be wrong.
                    I agree.. TDS does not allow this, and initally, this was the functionality I wanted..

But after playing with my Module, VDL and TDS, I have realised that there are so many kits to play with, that I simply can't be bothered to make my own by moving instruments around.

So I actually like the simplicity of being able to keep kits 'as is' and simply manipulate them at a kit level.

At the end of the day, if there is no solution to the TDS problem I have reported, then I will have no choice but to go with VDL anyway.. I am buying 3 VEX kits and already have 4 'user' kits.. So if I can't open them all, whats the point.

Jon

Comment

I give up.. There is a fundimental problem with TDS!

Until now I have been playing with 'free' kits and a bunch of VEX kits from my friends TD12...

Most of the 'free' ones don't open, but the VEX ones do.

In preparation for the arival of my MIDI cable (hopefully today) I have now ordered (and recieved) the VEX kits for my TD8.. I went for MASTER50 and ELITE.

When I load them into TDS, ELITE opens, but MASTER50 exhibits the same problem that I have seen with the 'free' kits.

Clearly there is something not right with TDS, so I have no choice but to go with VDL instead!

Thanks for your help with this.. We all came to the same "VDL Is Best" conclusion in the end

Cheers

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
                        I give up.. There is a fundimental problem with TDS!

Until now I have been playing with 'free' kits and a bunch of VEX kits from my friends TD12...

Most of the 'free' ones don't open, but the VEX ones do.

In preparation for the arival of my MIDI cable (hopefully today) I have now ordered (and recieved) the VEX kits for my TD8.. I went for MASTER50 and ELITE.

When I load them into TDS, ELITE opens, but MASTER50 exhibits the same problem that I have seen with the 'free' kits.

Clearly there is something not right with TDS, so I have no choice but to go with VDL instead!

Thanks for your help with this.. We all came to the same "VDL Is Best" conclusion in the end

Cheers

Jon
                        TDS appears to be free software. You found a bug. Do you want your money back?

What did you expect? That you'd find a bug and the author would drop everything to address that bug the same day and get you a new build? Talk about a thankless job...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
                          TDS appears to be free software. You found a bug. Do you want your money back?

What did you expect? That you'd find a bug and the author would drop everything to address that bug the same day and get you a new build? Talk about a thankless job...
                          Ehh.. Where did that come from?? I am not suggesting that I am not grateful.. Or that he hasn't created a great product (look above, I say nothing but GREAT things about TDS). Why so defensive?

But I am simply saying that now that I have actually bought VEX libraries and one doesn't open in TDS, I have no choice but to go to VDL... I am not dissing TDS, nor am I saying anything bad... I am just saying that I am forced to give up on it as it just doesn't work...

Hopefully the developer is still motivated in doing bug-fixes and will release a new version in the not to distant future and then I will use it again...

But for now, it has such a major flaw that its unusable!

Jon

Comment

Jon, have you reported the bug to TDS?

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                              Jon, have you reported the bug to TDS?
                              Yep.. A few weeks back.. He asked me to send him the files which i couldn't open and I heard nothing more.

Then this week, after I found more files, I sent him those too.. And finally today, when I got my VEX kit which didn't open, I TOLD him about it (I didn't send him the files this time, because they are VEX)

So he has been aware of the problem for a couple of weeks now!

Just to clarify, I didn't raise this here to slate anyones products.. I just wondered if anyone had seen this and had a 'workaround' (perhaps you could load the SYX file into another app and save it and it will 'clean' it in some way)... Considering the amount of effort which appears to have been put into TDS, I can't believe that NO-ONE is using it.. But equally, if people are, then I don't understand why no-one appears to have noticed this 'bug'!

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X