Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 Direct Outputs Balanced or Unbalanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 Direct Outputs Balanced or Unbalanced?

I've looked through the manual and it seems rather vague on this point. Does anybody know?

Thanks!
    Todd

Proprietor of Fine Music and Hot Sauce

Visit me at www.toddreynolds.blogspot.com

In a word.... Unbalanced.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Okie dokie then! Thanks!
      Todd

Comment

There are several posts on this if you do a search. They touch on using short lengths of cord with unbalanced lines to avoid picking up noise, using direct boxes to convert to balanced TRS or XLR connections and stuff like that. You didn't touch on any of that and, judging from some of your posts, my guess is you are well versed in that kind of stuff.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Yeah I'd only be making a 10' run if that. I've started going the "run everything to their own direct outputs" route for more control at mixdown. Figures that they would be unbalanced. I suppose balanced jacks would have cost us an extra $500 or so, eh? ;-) At any rate, I can't justify buying a bunch of direct boxes for my uses in my little project studio. Plus I'm the kind of guy that would want the best DI boxes I could get, and this year I am more focused on my mic collection. :-) Good idea though. I may just buy a 10' snake somewhere down the road to make patching in quicker so that I don't have to waste as much time making 8 different passes when feeding the TD-20 MIDI data tracks. No big deal either way I guess.

Thanks for the help!
          Todd

Comment

Working...
          X