Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cymbal Triggering Problems - TD-9SX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbal Triggering Problems - TD-9SX

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Roland TD-9SX kit and an extra CY-8 crash cymbal. The kit is awesome, except that it's kept me from going to bed at a reasonable hour for the past week.

I've thoroughly read the owners' manuals. However, I am having a problem with the CY-12 ride cymbal and the CY-8 crash cymbals.

Sometimes the crash cymbals do not trigger. Oddly enough, it's often after I play a tom fill.

Also, the CY-12 ride seems to have a couple of "dead spots" on the bow where it won't always trigger, (even with a simple, medium tempo 8th note ride pattern), or it won't trigger consistently. In addition I am unable to get the rim/edge of the CY-12 ride to trigger consistently. It seems to trigger only when it wants to.

I have spent a ton of time working on the various trigger settings/parameters and consulting the TD-9 manual. Yet I still haven't found a solution to this issue.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, were you able to solve it? I can't remember what what settings I'm currently running for the cymbals. But I could post that info tomorrow if need be.

Any help, suggestions, comments, advice, floggings, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    - LB

Sounds like the XTalk setting is too high on your crash pads to me. The ride may be suffering from the same problem. Also, check the cables are fully inserted. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
      Sounds like the XTalk setting is too high on your crash pads to me. The ride may be suffering from the same problem. Also, check the cables are fully inserted. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
      Hello ige87! --- Thank you for replying to my questions! I will definitely check the XTalk settings this evening when I get home. I did check the cables and they seemed okay, but I'll check them again anyway, just in case. I read somewhere on the forum that someone had powered down, unplugged / replugged the cables, and rebooted and everything was fine, so maybe I'll try that as well.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how everything went.

Best,
      - LB

Comment

I had to send the CY-8 that shipped with my TD-9SX back to Roland, because there was a section (about 2" in size, and right in the front) on the edge that did not trigger unless I hit it REALLY hard. The additional CY-8 that I bought works fine plugged into the same cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
          I had to send the CY-8 that shipped with my TD-9SX back to Roland, because there was a section (about 2" in size, and right in the front) on the edge that did not trigger unless I hit it REALLY hard. The additional CY-8 that I bought works fine plugged into the same cord.
          Hey Colquhoun --- Ugh, that's a real drag that you had to do that. I appreciate knowing about your experience though. If I can't get the cymbals to work to my satisfaction by adjusting the settings, I'll definitely send them back to Roland. Good luck with your CY-8. I hope they get it back to you soon!

Best,
          - LB

Comment

I just offered the info to let you know that if you cannot get it to work, call Roland and they may offer additional help. If not, sending a cymbal for a replacement or repair is another option.

Comment

Hey party peeps... Ok, I played with the XTalk Cancel settings last night and got the cymbals to work much better. They trigger consistently now. Thank you for your help with that!

The ride cymbal is still a bit funky sometimes though. The rim/edge still is not consistent. It works best if I set the XTalk Cancel for the CY-12 ride at "0". But it still doesn't always trigger. Same with the bell, although the bell isn't as bad off as the rim/edge.

However, with the XTalk Cancel setting at "0" the ride then triggers (albeit quietly), whenever I strike tom-2. I guess I have to set up a "XTalk Cancel Group" for tom-2 and CY-12 ride?

When I set the XTalk Cancel on the CY-12 ride so it doesn't trigger when I strike tom-2, the setting equals "25". It is then already too high of a setting and I run back into the issue with the ride not triggering consistently again.

Also, at "25" the rim/edge trigger functions even worse than when set at "0." Perhaps this will be fixed when I set up the XTalk Cancel Grouping? But I'm really beginning to think I might have a slightly malfunctioning CY-12 ride with a few "dead spots".

Sorry for my naivete, everyone. This is my first e-kit, so I'm a little behind the learning curve. hehe..

Thanks again for your time and suggestions, etc.

Regards,
              - LB

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the rim gain for the ride?

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the rim gain for the ride?
                  Hey ige87 --- I actually played with the gain a little bit last night, but it was late and I was getting pretty tired.

If I adjust the gain, will I then have to lower the sensitivity? I don't want the rim/edge volume to be alot louder than the bow/bell of the cymbal.

Thanks!
                  - LB

Comment

No, the rim gain is independant of the sensitivity, its there to boost the sensitivity of just the rim. If you find its too loud, you can simply back it off a bit.

Comment

No, the rim gain is independant of the sensitivity, its there to boost the sensitivity of just the rim. If you find its too loud, you can simply back it off a bit.
                      Hey ige87 --- I played with the rim gain last night and it seems to be working much better now! Thank you so much for that suggestion!

I referred back to my owners manual regarding the sensitivity as well. Seems I had previously misunderstood the function of the sensitivity setting. But I think I'm all good now.

Hey, in the manual it says something about setting up an "XTalk Group". ie: "place tom1 and crash1 in the same XTalk Group." I could not figure out what they're talking about. It doesn't seem like I can do this in the TD-9 module tho. Do you know what they're referring to with regards to the XTalk Group?

Thanks!
                      - LB

Comment

Originally posted by LiddleBuddha View Post
                        Hey, in the manual it says something about setting up an "XTalk Group". ie: "place tom1 and crash1 in the same XTalk Group." I could not figure out what they're talking about. It doesn't seem like I can do this in the TD-9 module tho. Do you know what they're referring to with regards to the XTalk Group?
                        I believe you're the first one to spot an error in the TD-9 manual. Xtalk Groups exist on the TD-12 and TD-20 (to reduce the chance that pads not really interfering with each other will be affected by the temporary threshold increase and fail to trigger). But as far as I can see from the menu screens, they don't actually exist on the TD-9. Perhaps that function got dropped at a late stage (or it was a cut and paste error from another Roland manual, which has happened before).

Bruce

Comment

Maybe its planned for a future firmware version? Though the copy and paste theory seems more likely. They'd publish an addendum for a firmware addition surely? Glad the rim gain sorted things for you!

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                            I believe you're the first one to spot an error in the TD-9 manual. Xtalk Groups exist on the TD-12 and TD-20 (to reduce the chance that pads not really interfering with each other will be affected by the temporary threshold increase and fail to trigger). But as far as I can see from the menu screens, they don't actually exist on the TD-9. Perhaps that function got dropped at a late stage (or it was a cut and paste error from another Roland manual, which has happened before).

Bruce
                            Oh well. Damn, I knew I should've gotten the TD-12. haha, actually I just couldn't afford the approximately $1,500 extra for the TD-12. And the TD-9 seems to be plenty for my needs. I really love my TD-9!

Maybe its planned for a future firmware version? Though the copy and paste theory seems more likely. They'd publish an addendum for a firmware addition surely? Glad the rim gain sorted things for you!
                            Thanks ige87! Really appreciate your help and advice!

I think I've got everything tweaked pretty good now. The ride still triggers, very quietly, once in a while when I strike tom-2, (kind of like if it were an acoustic tom and the tom shell or rim was sitting against the ride cymbal stand). But it's really nothing to complain about. If I were playing tons of live gigs I'd certainly want to do something about it. But I'm just jamming in my basement for now, so I'm really just having a bunch of fun.

Peace,
                            - LB

Comment

I get the same thing with my 2 Cy-8's where they dont trigger unless hit hard, did the same thing with my previous TD 6 module. Im upgrading them to 12's im waiting for them to come in.
                              Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

Working...
                              X