Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you Achieved that Perfect Rim Click - Honestly?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have you Achieved that Perfect Rim Click - Honestly?

    The rim click has become a thing of the past for me - basically ever since I got my V's a few years ago. I haven't tweaked a ton, but it is just too risky to be laying down that mellow beat with a rim click and getting a different sound (i.e. snare hit) or the rim being way over-bearing LOUD. I don't know...

    Are you cool with your rim click?

  • #2
    I think it's at least possible to find acceptable Cross Stick settings on a TD-12 or TD-20, whereas in my opinion this is more difficult on a TD-3/6/8/10.


    Bruce

    Comment


    • #3
      Is there any possibility to change sensitivity settings for rimclicks on a TD-20? Sorry if it's in the manual, but i haven't searched it yet .
      TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
      Loving it every second..

      Comment


      • #4
        I was just recording a tune this past weekend which required about 10 measures with a rim click. My problem was not with the volume or sound of the click but with the sensitivity of it with the TD6V module. I had to recut in these 10 measures about 6 times because if I hit the rim too hard or too soft I would get the snare shot instead of the rim sound . Though I did eventually get the cut down . I could not figure out how to just isolate the rim sound and did not want to waste anymore session time in the studio.
        Otherwise the TD6V did a heck of a job with the recording !
        Unified Past
        http://www.unifiedpast.com/unified_past/Home_Page.html

        http://www.youtube.com/user/Vdrummer17

        Comment


        • #5
          Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem or I'm stating the obvious, but you can always assign the cross stick sound to another pad and trigger it from there if you're having that much trouble hitting the actual rim trigger on the snare. Before I got my Hart kit, I used to have a rim knock assigned to a spare CY-8 if I had my snare rim tied up with a rimshot. Or, get an SPD-S and assign a rim knock to one of those pads.

          I've actually noticed several pro drummers who use a-kits on stage but use one e-drum pad beside their hi-hat to trigger rim knocks. Gives them a cleaner sound and an easier target.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

          >>>See my A-kit here<<<

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rbressers View Post
            Is there any possibility to change sensitivity settings for rimclicks on a TD-20? Sorry if it's in the manual, but i haven't searched it yet .
            Yes, with a combination of Rim Gain (Sensitivity), Rim Shot Adjust (Threshold) and Cross Stick Threshold (Cross Stick to Rim Shot crossover point) all at TRIGGER, ADVANCE, RIM.


            Bruce

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
              Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem or I'm stating the obvious, but you can always assign the cross stick sound to another pad and trigger it from there if you're having that much trouble hitting the actual rim trigger on the snare. Before I got my Hart kit, I used to have a rim knock assigned to a spare CY-8 if I had my snare rim tied up with a rimshot. Or, get an SPD-S and assign a rim knock to one of those pads.

              I've actually noticed several pro drummers who use a-kits on stage but use one e-drum pad beside their hi-hat to trigger rim knocks. Gives them a cleaner sound and an easier target.
              Yep I use to do that with old extra PD7's, but seriously, shouldn't have to do that - defeats the purpose of the 120's and 125's.....that said, I do have a click assigned to my spd-s. However, it would be nice to just have it assigned to the rim and use it and be able to RELY on it and not worry that if you sneeze or drop your beer, it won't cause a MISFIRE

              Comment


              • #8
                With the Td 6 I had problems getting a good snare rim balance on a PD-105 crosstick technique did not work i could only hit the upper left corner of the rim to get the snare not to sound, with the TD-9 Module crosstick and rim hits work perfecly. Im just having problems tiggering crashes at times on my 2 CY-8 (Both modules) I am exchanging them for 12's which are on pre order.
                Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

                Comment


                • #9
                  Same here

                  Yes rim shots and x stick are no prob on a TD12 ... the cross stick threshold setting is useful as is the rim gain. Perfecto armundo in any situation, bullet proof. The Roland basket is very superior and i should have my own diy snare completed any day now, incorporating a central plate twin piezo system for even triggering of rim. L bracket on one lug don't cut it.

                  I tend to read the manual in full and find out about all the tweakings when i buy an instrument, that way you can get the best out of it no matter what model it is.
                  Last edited by daveybabes; 05-23-08, 05:59 PM.
                  WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                  YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                  FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                  :eek: ...
                  Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                  Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just replaced my PD8s with PD85s. Using the rims on the PD8s wasn't really practical (at least for me). The PD85s seem really good as far as the separation goes. I'm using some percussion from BFD2 on the rims. I'm using a TD-9 as the brain.

                    I'm only using my set for practice and recording, I think I would be a bit worried to try it live though

                    Adam

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I rarely use the rimshot, but I sometimes use the cross-stick so I have adjusted the trigger settings for my DIY snare accordingly, and I'm very pleased with the rim click. It is 100% consistent for my playing style.

                      I'm finding that even with the limited functionality of the TD-3 module, there is enough configuration to allow a satisfactory compromise in any situation I have come across so far. And it definately doesn't hurt having resourceful people here who know these things inside and out, and are willing to help you get it right...
                      Jack

                      Sabre's Album

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oldmandrummer View Post
                        Yep I use to do that with old extra PD7's, but seriously, shouldn't have to do that - defeats the purpose of the 120's and 125's.....that said, I do have a click assigned to my spd-s. However, it would be nice to just have it assigned to the rim and use it and be able to RELY on it and not worry that if you sneeze or drop your beer, it won't cause a MISFIRE
                        True that. For what we pay for these toys, we should be able to get what we want out of them. Plus, I've been known to both sneeze and drop my beer alot, often at the same time.
                        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

                        >>>See my A-kit here<<<

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BarT View Post
                          Yes, with a combination of Rim Gain (Sensitivity), Rim Shot Adjust (Threshold) and Cross Stick Threshold (Cross Stick to Rim Shot crossover point) all at TRIGGER, ADVANCE, RIM.
                          Gee, thanks man .. I'll fiddle around with it tonight.
                          TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
                          Loving it every second..

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X