Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 vs. TD-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 vs. TD-10

After using both, I thought I should share some of the non-obvious differences.

Some differences I felt important in no particular order:
    1. The headphone output is much hotter in the TD-10.
    2. The Aux 1 and 2 inputs on the TD-10 are not V-Editable, you can only change the pitch and decay even if you select a V-Sound. The TD-8 does not have this restriction.
    3. With the TDW-1, all inputs on the TD-10 have position sensing.
    4. The TD-10 seems to change tone as the dynamics change much more smoothly. Playing the snare gradually louder on the TD-8 tends to produce sudden changes in timbre, as if they used less samples to represent changes in dynamics. This is only my perception and I have no technical data to back it up. Please don’t flame me and tell me I’m full of crap unless you know an engineer at Roland who knows otherwise.
    5. I had a hard time getting the TD-8 to recognize the rims on my PD-9’s. Even with the scan time turned all the way up, the rims did not trigger accurately. Maybe someone knows some settings that would help this.
    6. The snare shell material can be changed on the TD-10 and not on the TD-8.
    7. The TD-10 snare depth can be changed from 1-20”, the TD-8 has Normal, and Deep1-4.
    8. For what it’s worth, my 9-year-old son thinks the TD-8 is “way better”.

8. For what it’s worth, my 9-year-old son thinks the TD-8 is “way better”.
    Children and drunken people always speak the truth.

I do agree with a lot of your points but it is a bit 'sour' that the td-8 still has more (useful) sounds than a td-10 even with tdw-1.
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
      ... the td-8 still has more (useful) sounds than a td-10 even with tdw-1.
      I demo'd both units prior to purchase. I didn't care for the sounds of either one and after bringin' home the Pros, immediately began creating custom kits. If the modules had offered no customization, I never would have purchased e-drums to begin with, at least not at these prices.

-Marc.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc.:
        I demo'd both units prior to purchase.

I agree that anyone depending strictly on "store time" (and in most cases store sound equipment) to make their decision is not getting the complete picture... unless maybe they work at the store or take a sleeping bag with them. The pre-programmed kits are not what these things are about.

Comment

The pre-programmed kits are not what these things are about.
          Yep, but still the td-8 has ...

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
            I have played extensively on both TD-8 and TD-10, and there's no perceptible difference: due to the difficulties in getting the PD-9 to work, I'd suspect equipment or user difficulties with settings before blaming the unit.

Regards,
            Chris
            Well said Chris. I suppose if you're not a drummer, the TD-8/10's sounds "might" satisfy. As for the difficulties you mention? Reminds me of the incompetant mechanic always blaming his tools.

Tweak On,
            -Marc.

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
              Yep, but still the td-8 has ...
              Remember the ancient wisdom from the sacred texts of the past ...

"... less is more."

-Marc.

Comment

less is more?
                I guess nothing is everything then.
                I'm throwing my set away.

Comment

The post was NOT intended as a "My drums are better than your drums" statement, but simply as information that might be useful to someone like myself who was considering selling a TD-10 and buying a TD-8.

I apologize if I inadvertantly insulted your TD-8, or made the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Comment

If this issue has been addressed and closed, please disregard this posting.

1. The PD-9 could potentially be the reason you are having problems.
                    2. The dynamic tone in the TD-8 is not too far off the TD-10; in fact they are the same in my opinion, what ever that is worth (:
                    3. The shell material on the TD-8 can be changed as well, only on the V-edit sounds.
                    4. Listen to your son. (:

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

I have the V-Drums Pro and I wanted to pick up another drum module for using as a sound module only (i.e. programmed and triggered from a keyboard, not V-Drums). What difference in the sound would I most likely noticed between the T-10 and TD-8? Are the same samples used in both? Are they both the same BIT depth (i.e. 20 BIT, 24 BIT, etc...)?

Thanks

Comment

I use a PD-120 with a TD-8, and it's extremely sensitive: as much as any TD-10/PD-120 I've ever played. (Maybe even moreso with my set-up, since I trigger 2 inputs from one pad and have velocity-layered the two inputs to extend the dynamic range of the snare.)

Regards,
                        Chris[/B]
                        Could you explain how you have your pd120 setup wtih two trigger inputs and used velocity layering? I'd like to do something similar (also using a td-8 and pd120 as my snare). Thanks!

Comment

John, welcome aboard. The info you want can be found by searching previous threads. Try looking for stuff like 'Holy Grail' and 'Shack Adaptor'.
                          And if you see Binary coming...
                          RUN
                          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by darth colon:
                            less is more?
                            I guess nothing is everything then.
                            Oh, man, I wish my lead guitarist could learn this simple lesson...

You ALL know what I mean...

[This message has been edited by hmasing (edited June 06, 2001).]
                            - Hans

Comment

Working...
                            X