Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative HH Pads for the TD-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative HH Pads for the TD-8

I need to replace the HH pad on my TD-8. I was hoping to find a CY-12H still floating around an online store but no luck. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pad that's compatible with the TD-8? Doesn't have to be Roland made, just a proven quality pad for a HH replacement.

The "expert" at my local Guitar Center says a CY-5 is compatible with the TD-8 but when I check Roland's web there is no mention of support for it.

Thanks,
    -DrumBoy

I run a CY-5 on my TD-8 and it works and sounds fine.

Mike

Comment

Roland doesn't generally include discontinued modules or pads in any compatibility charts or lists, but the CY-5 is compatible with any Roland module (as are all V-Cymbals except the VH-12).

Bruce

Comment

I used a CY-5 in the hat position with a TD-8 on my previous kit. Worked like a champ. No problem there.
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the VH-11 because at Roland's web it's the only recent pad that in the product description and in their FAQ specifically says that will work with the TD-8 LINK, and when I look at the CY-5 product description there's no reference as to it's compatibility. LINK. Did you just plug the CY-5 in and it was recognized by the module? Or did you have to manually assign it something specific?

Thanks,
          -DrumBoy

P.S. V(ader)DRUMMER: How do you like the "Ecymbal II hi-hat" over the Roland pads?

Comment

A CY-5 (or 8) will probably be the cheapest Roland option for you.

The VH-11 will give you much better stick response than a CY-5 but you will need a "real" hihat stand to use it.

You could also consider a CY-12R/C for a few more $s.

Best thing is to go to a drum shop and have a play on all of them.

Comment

The CY-5 didn't exist when the TD-8 was manufactured. Thus, you won't find it listed in the marketing material or the pad selections for the module. It does, however, work just fine. I plugged mine in out of the box and it worked just fine without even changing the pad selection.

I'm pleased with my Hart hat. It feels more like a traditional hat since its metal. However, mine is the older model with the remote-type mounting, not the traditional hi-hat stand. I'm fine with that, though I know that bugs other folks.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I strongly would recommend the VH11 I lucked out and it came included with my kit, when I told the salesmen that I had no stand for it he threw one in for free! Mind you its a very basic non heavy duty model, but still with e hats its working just fine. I tried a 9 in the store with a CY-5 and much prefer the feel of the 11. But thats just my humble suggestion
                Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

To add a bit more to my previous post. I run a cy5 with my TD-8, but With my rack I had to add an additional short tube to the rack for the cy5 so it would come a bit closer to me. It wasn't too bad without it, but closer is better for my style. I was using a regular gum pad and the mounts for those are on the edge of the pad where the mount for the cy5 is in the middle so it placed the pad a few inches further back on the kit.... So I extended it a bit.

Hope that helps,
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X