Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power on for too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power on for too long?

I leave my TD20 module on because I'm getting the low battery warning and I don't want to lose my settings. Then I get a warning after about a week or two saying the power has been on too long, please power off, anyone else see this?
    Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
    www.oblyvion.com
    Facebook:[Scych]
    You Tube Scychful
    Twitter:@Raakinn

Heard about it before... I'd worry about the LCD screen going out more than anything.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I guess not all the settings can be saved to a CF card?

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
        I guess not all the settings can be saved to a CF card?
        Yeah, I guess I could do that. I just find it weird that you can't leave the module on forever if you want to.
        www.oblyvion.com
        You Tube Scychful

Comment

It may well be for the LCD. It doesn't have a screen saver mode so images could easily get burnt onto the screen. Also, there'll be one heck of a heat build up. I'd say backup and replace the battery asap! If you're quick enough with the battery, you shouldn't even loose your settings. If the battery is going, I'd guess your module is out of warranty anyway, so what've you got to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
            It may well be for the LCD. It doesn't have a screen saver mode so images could easily get burnt onto the screen. Also, there'll be one heck of a heat build up. I'd say backup and replace the battery asap! If you're quick enough with the battery, you shouldn't even loose your settings. If the battery is going, I'd guess your module is out of warranty anyway, so what've you got to lose?
            LCD doesn't suffer from 'burning'.. I don't really think that the LCD is going to cause you a problem at all.. Think of the products on the market wich have LCD screen which are on all the time.. Look at a digital watch for example. If anything the backlight might suffer, but I don't even believe that.. There are 1000s of commercial product which have a backlit LCD screen which are run for decades without problems.

To be honest, I don't see why the unit can't be left on 24/7.. In electronic devices, its the constant switching on/off which does the harm in the first place not leaving it on all the time. Infact, I would guess that switching the backlight on/off regularly shortens its life more than leaving it on around the clock..

The only thing which generates heat is going to be the internal PSU.. But again, I just can't see this being a problem.. Just look at a modern 'set top box' for your Satellite/cable/TV system.. They stay powered on and run forever without a very low failure rate!

But thats just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact!

Jon

Comment

Well, if Roland think its best, who are we to argue? Good point on the LCDs. I know the problem is more with older CRT displays. I know my laptop gets a bit dodgy after running for a very long time, though that might also be to do with the pityful amount of free space on my C drive atm!

However, to counter your point about set top boxes, quite a while back we had a Freeview box that ran really hot and eventually killed itself. Funnily enough, it was made by the same people who were making Sky boxes at the time....... Also, in my student house, we have a BT Homehub for our broadband. That regularly crashes from the fact that it gets too how when we all try to use it at once. Seriuosly, over heating with 5pc's using the WiFi, what a joke! Bloomin useless pile of cattle droppings.

Anyway, back to the original topic........

Comment

I would agree with the suggestion to change out the battery (back-up first if you can for peace of mind, either by memory card or midi-to-computer). However, it makes me ask, how old is your TD-20? I'm surprised the backup battery would go out so soon, considering there are a lot of 8-10 year old TD-8's and TD-10's out there with the original battery still going strong. What specifically increases or decreases the wear on a backup battery? Perhaps your original battery was a bad one??
                Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

It's only a couple years old if that. Do I have to send my module off to Roland?
                  www.oblyvion.com
                  You Tube Scychful

Comment

Nah, just undo the screws on the base, pop the battery out and stick in the new one. If it does it again, you might have the 'other' problem. If its less than a year old, you might have a more pressing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                      Nah, just undo the screws on the base, pop the battery out and stick in the new one. If it does it again, you might have the 'other' problem. If its less than a year old, you might have a more pressing issue.
                      I know there's a thread on this but where do I get the batteries?
                      www.oblyvion.com
                      You Tube Scychful

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
                        To be honest, I don't see why the unit can't be left on 24/7.. In electronic devices, its the constant switching on/off which does the harm in the first place not leaving it on all the time. Infact, I would guess that switching the backlight on/off regularly shortens its life more than leaving it on around the clock..

Jon
                        It's fairly well documented that the vast majority of electronic failures occur during power up and power down - datacentres run 24x7x365 and so do recording studios (the big ones) to avoid such issues......
                        It would be really interesting to get Roland's take on this regarding the TD-20 - there might be some "hidden" reason for in in this module......

Comment

these batteries are real common. my garage door keypad takes the same one. wal mart, lowes, home depot. i cant remember the part # right off hand. i replaced mine at 1 1/2 years.
                          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                            these batteries are real common. my garage door keypad takes the same one. wal mart, lowes, home depot. i cant remember the part # right off hand. i replaced mine at 1 1/2 years.
                            That sounds about right for me. How long has it been since you replaced yours? See this is what's wrong with e's, a's don't have this problem. Hahaha.
                            www.oblyvion.com
                            You Tube Scychful

Comment

Originally posted by havyck View Post
                              That sounds about right for me. How long has it been since you replaced yours? See this is what's wrong with e's, a's don't have this problem. Hahaha.
                              about 8 months ago. seems like the part # is cr 1604 but not sure. my td 8 i had has the same battery going on 9 years.
                              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                              X