Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a PD-80R give me a rim shot on the TOM input of a TD-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a PD-80R give me a rim shot on the TOM input of a TD-8

I am looking to change my rubber (PD-8) pads for mesh and have an option on some 2nd hand PD-80s (Currently not sure if they are the R version).

Assuming they are, is the PD-80R piezo/piezo or piezo/switch type and will I get 'rim' supoprt if I use them in the TOM inputs on my TD-8?

If I don't, then I have a decision to make as to whether to give up on 'rims' and go down the mesh route, or stick with the rubber pads and keep the rim support they offer.

I look forwards to your answer.

Jon

Sorry all.. I went back to the search again and this time changed my spelling of TD8 and PD80R and found this:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ight=td8+pd80r

Clearly it confirms that:

1. The TD8 Tom Inputs are Piezo/Switch (which I already knew)
    2. The PD80R has a Piezo/Piezo trigger

So, if I go for a PD-80 or PD-80R there is no rim support.

This is a tricky decision.. Do I stick with PD-8 pads which are rubber but have rim support... Or do I take this opportunity to upgrade to 'mesh' but then loose rim support?

To be honest, right now, the 'rims' on my PD-8s annoy me, as I keep hitting them by accident.. But thats probably because I am new.. As I get more experienced will Rims become more important?

What to do????

Jon
    Last edited by jweaver; 05-20-08, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Well, if you go for PD-80Rs, you can always build the Raper circuit for each one to make the rims work........ Check the sticky in the DIY section.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
        Well, if you go for PD-80Rs, you can always build the Raper circuit for each one to make the rims work........ Check the sticky in the DIY section.
        I will certainly check that out.. Does this apply only to PD-80Rs or can you mod the PD-80 too?

Jon

Comment

You can mod the standard 80, just as you can with the PD-100, but you'd also have to add piezo's to them, as well as building the circutry.

Comment

Working...
          X