Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i hook my td6 to my spd-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i hook my td6 to my spd-s

i know this is probably pretty simple and somebody has probably answered this question before but i couldn't find it on here. how do i hook them together so i can trigger samples on the spd from my set and can i assign a sample to each pad on my set and still use all the pads on the spd? i know nothing about midi. please help.

You couldn't assign a sample to every TD-6 pad and still use the SPD-S for different sounds. For triggering via MIDI, the SPD-S is limited to 13 sounds (in each patch) which are assigned to its 9 pads, 2 external triggers and 2 foot switches. So you could trigger 4 sounds from a TD-6 (assigned to SPD-S triggers and switches if you aren't using those), but for any more than that you'd be duplicating some or all of the 9 internal pads.

The SPD-S uses note numbers 60-72 by default, and the TD-6 uses 22-57 for drum kit triggers. So after connecting TD-6 MIDI Out to SPD-S MIDI In, you need to change some of those on one of the modules so that they match.

It's probably best to set a few TD-6 pads in a particular kit to use numbers in the SPD-S 60-72 range. (KIT, EDIT, CTRL, Enter, > Note No.)

You may also want to connect SPD-S Phones output to TD-6 Mix In if you want to hear all sounds from the TD-6.

(The MIDI channels also need to match but I think the default MIDI channel on an SPD-S is 10; it certainly is on a TD-6. So they probably match already.)

Bruce

Comment

You should be able to trigger the sounds in the SPD-S as well as the internal sounds assigned to your TD-6 or instead of the internal sounds so you do get to use the SPD-S as an alternative sound source or as a layer. (you can do this in the TD-6V so I assume you can in the TD-6....).

You should also be able to set the TD-6 to control the changing of patches i.e. when you select a new kit in the TD-6 it should change the SPD-S to the corresponding kit.

Comment

Yes, I meant to add that once they're connected and matched up, if you want just the SPD-S sound then you would need to set the TD-6 instrument to sound 1024 OFF.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          ... if you want just the SPD-S sound then you would need to set the TD-6 instrument to sound 1024 OFF.
          Easier than setting the instrument for each pad to 1024 Off, you can just go into MIDI Common and turn Local Control off. That turns them all off at once. It disconnects the pads from the sound board, but still outputs the MIDI signal to trigger the SPD-S's sound board.

It'll work vice-versa too, if you want to play the SPD-S pads to trigger your TD-6 sound module. Turn Local Control off in the SPD-S and swap the MIDI In/Out connection. This makes for an excellent practice kit or for a gig with very limited space, where you still want to use all your TD-6 kits! I've done this. All I needed to set up was my SPD-S, TD-6V module, my KD-8 and bass pedal, the FD-8, and a stool... very small footprint and fast set-up/tear-down time!
          Last edited by TNT; 05-19-08, 11:54 PM.
          VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
          ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
          ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
          Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

thanks guys. i'm gonna go try that out.

Comment

got it working. thanks everybody you are the best. i was going crazy trying to find instructions somewhere on the web.

Comment

I have been trying to do this. It seems like the midi trigger is happening but the kit's never change. Is that the PC TX/RX? I am trying to move from my TD20 triggering and use my td6v for a smaller gig!

UPDATE - I was able to get the different sounds to trigger by using the note number under pad control. It seems though, that I am limited to 127 instuments. (And I have over 1000 on the td-6)

Any insight would still be appreciated.

Ken
                Last edited by k-rokk; 05-30-09, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k-rokk View Post
                  I have been trying to do this. It seems like the midi trigger is happening but the kit's never change. Is that the PC TX/RX? I am trying to move from my TD20 triggering and use my td6v for a smaller gig!

UPDATE - I was able to get the different sounds to trigger by using the note number under pad control. It seems though, that I am limited to 127 instuments. (And I have over 1000 on the td-6)

Any insight would still be appreciated.

Ken
                  It's not 100% clear which you're trying to do; this thread was originally about hitting TD-6 pads to get SPD-S sample sounds. But hitting SPD-S pads to get TD-6 sounds was also mentioned, which I think may be what you want to do? If so, then; is this instead of using TD-6 pads to get TD-6 sounds, or in addition? (That makes quite a difference regarding what is possible.)

If changing kits on the TD-6 has no effect, then I guess you must be triggering a percussion set on MIDI Channel 11? And you would then be restricted to 79 sounds in each percussion set as the TD-6 has no user percussion sets.

The 0-127 range when selecting note numbers is a limitation of the MIDI standard; only those note numbers can be transmitted and received. You have to find other methods of selecting the actual sound on the receiving module.

Try to explain more exactly what you're trying to achieve, and what steps you've taken so far.

Bruce

Comment

BarT,

Yes, was a bit late when I posted. You are correct. I am trying to trigger the TD-6 sounds with my spd-s. I am thinking of maybe hooking the HH directly to the TD-6 to get better action. Also debating on doing the same for the snare and kick. But, as I mentioned, if I am on a specific kit, I would not get corresponding Toms and Cymbals!

Any more tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

K-Rokk

Comment

Connecting the hi-hat pedal directly to the TD-6 for a much more variable response is a good idea.

To trigger the sounds of toms and cymbals in each kit, the SPD-S needs to transmit on Channel 10 and use Drum Kit Note Numbers shown on Page 125 of the TD-6/6V manual.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      X