Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does VDrumLib handle COSM on the TD-8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does VDrumLib handle COSM on the TD-8?

I was just about to buy VDrumLib in anticipation for the arrival of my MIDI cable and figured I would test out the demo.

I was surprised to find that there is no COSM option for the TD-8, even though the unit supports COSM. There is an option to play with COSM, but only on the TD-12/20.. To be honest, i am surprised and disappointed by this.. I assumed that on the non-TD12/20 models, you could still change the COSM params, but on the 12/20 you would simply have more options.

But to find that VDL doesn't support COSM at all on the TD-8 is more than a little surprising!

Does this mean that you can't use VDrumLib to do any kind of COSM work on the TD-8? What happens if you have kits with COSM params configured on your module? When you upload them to VDL are these settings uploaded too? And will they be downloaded back into the brain when send the kit to the module?

There are only 2 possibilities to this:

1. VDrumlib has no knowledge of COSM on the TD8, so its doens't even get the COSM settings and sets them all to ZERO in its DB. So when you send a kit to the brain, COSM isn't set.

2. VDrumLib doesn't care about COSM.. It just gets ALL of the params from the Module (inc COSM), saves them to a file and re-uploads ALL of them when you send... So even though you can't edit the COSM features, they are still in the DB and do get sent to the brain.

I really hope that its option 2, as if VDL can't handle COSM, then this makes it pretty useless for the TD-8... Are there any applications which allow you to change the COSM settings on the TD-8? Or is VDL the only application worth looking at?

Jon

2 is true. VDrumLib copies all COSM info. Stay tuned and I expect SiliconDrummer will be along shortly to elaborate. I don't think there's any other application which will allow you to edit COSM parameters.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
      2 is true. VDrumLib copies all COSM info. Stay tuned and I expect SiliconDrummer will be along shortly to elaborate. I don't think there's any other application which will allow you to edit COSM parameters.

Bruce
      Well, atleast thats better than option 1.. But its is a bit of a dissapointement..

I was hoping that on the TD-8 you would get the same functionality, but some of the COSM columns (specific to the TD12/20) would simply be greyed out.

I don't get the logic of not allowing a COSM configurable devices to use the COSM functionality of the product.

Is 'SiliconDrummer' the author? I am looking forwards to him coming on line, as I also have another question on licensing.. I don't know which PC I am going to run VDL on yet.. If I only use it once (to backup my kits and to upload the VEX kits I am going to buy) then I will use my laptop.. But if I decide to use MIDI lots then I have an old laptop which I will fully integrate into my kit.

But it seems VDL uses a 'Hardware Fingerprint' as part of its Licensing system, so once you have a key, you are locked to one particular PC.

I can see the reason for doing this in order to prevent piracy.. But it does limit your options somewhat!

I just wish my MIDI cable would hurry up.. I am desperate to get cracking with the whole MIDI side of things....

Thanks for the reply.. Its very much appreciated

Jon

Comment

Jon,

You sent me the same questions via email and I just finished answering them. So, instead of repeating the emails, let me just summarize:

1. Bruce is correct, all parameters are maintained in VDL, including COSM.

2. I am working on an update which will be free for all licensed users. This update will have more editing capability for all modules. The goal isn't to duplicate the module's editing capability. The goal is to enhance and supplement the on-module editing by allowing you to do things that you can't do on the module. In general, I like to add the stuff that you wish Roland would have added.

3. Ignore the hardware fingerprint. I no longer use it for purchased licenses. The software is licensed to a single user, not a single machine. You can install it on multiple machines, as long as you are the only user and you use only one copy at a time.

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
          Jon,

You sent me the same questions via email and I just finished answering them. So, instead of repeating the emails, let me just summarize:

-SD-
          Please don't think that I was going behind your back or trying to stir up trouble... I actually wrote the post here, to find out how other TD-8 users use VDrumLib and whether they felt that the lack of COSM editing features was a problem.

Since I have nothing to base my concerns on and I still havn't been able to play with VDL yet, I am making a lot of assumptions and I figured that not being able to modify COSM was a problem.. So I just wanted to see if other TD-8 users had any comments.

all the best

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
            Please don't think that I was going behind your back or trying to stir up trouble...
            Sorry, I did not mean it to sound that way. That is really not the impression that I got.

I just finished typing you a very long email and then I came here and read the same question. So, I just wanted you to go check your email for my detailed answer. I considered not even posting a reply here, but the previous posts indicated that a reply from SiliconDrummer is expected. So, I figured a condensed version is justified.

-SD-

Comment

SD, when are you expecting to release an update? My 10 day trial is over ... I love the product and plan on a formal purchase, but life is getting in the way in terms of me playing and tweaking my drums. What would be key for me in therms of how I plan to use your program is brining in new drums to an existing kit "off the rack" and then editing all the available COSM stuff. Tweaking ambiance, EQ and muti-effects are less important. Let me know. Thanks!

- Also sent this as a PM!

Comment

Working...
              X