Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Drums & A-Cymbals: Bridging The Void

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Drums & A-Cymbals: Bridging The Void

Hey,

I have been speculating recently about switching from acoustic drums to electronics; however, I am wanting to keep my acoustic cymbals. For gigs and practicing, I don't have any real issues with having e-drums and a-cymbals. Where it gets a little more intersting is recording. I can obviously go out from my TD-20 to record that, but I will need some kind of ambient mic to capture my cymbals. I have briefly toyed before with trying to get a mic to plug into the mix-in on the TD-20, but it was entirely too quiet even when maxed on the volume. It behaves similarly to when I have plugged a mic from XLR to 1/4" on my mixer. It is much more quiet than when I go XLR to XLR. I don't know the technical explanation for why this is, other than the 1/4" input is the LINE input.

At any rate, my basic question is: Is there any way to utilize the mix-in on the TD-20 to plug in a mic to pickup my acoustic cymbals?

What about running your mic(s) through a small mixer and sending the output of the mixer to the mix in jack of the TD-20?

You'd have volume control and EQ capabilities along with any other feature your particular mixer has that you may want to use, i.e. compression, reverb, FX, etc.
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

That would work, just wonder if there would be a way to circumvent having to use a mixer.

Comment

Why do the cymbals have to go through the TD-20 whilst recording?

Comment

They don't have to. I was just curious is it would be possible.

Comment

It should be, but I'd doubt you'd do it without a desk, or a set of pre amps.

Comment

Working...
            X