Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assigning pad types for Td-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning pad types for Td-8

I know I been asking alot of questions. I just purchase a Td-8. There is a section where you can assign what type of pad being used. What setting do I use for homemade drums.

I converted an acoustic drum set. I put mesh heads and a cross bar with trigger, cone dead center inside the drum.
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

You may need to experiment a little to find what suits your set up, and it depends if you have single or dual triggers (i.e. head and rim). Try PD-80r or PD-120 for dual trigger or single trigger. You could also try PD-80 or PD-100 for a single trigger drum. Try matching the equivalent roland pad size to the size of your new drums.

Comment

On a TD-8, you can also try P1 and P2:

When using a pad made by another manufacturer, first select “PD7” and try playing the pad. If, with this setting, the pad striking force does not produce a stable volume, try a setting of “P 1.” A setting of “P 2” will be even more stable, but since the Scan Time (p. 131) will be even longer, the interval from when the pad is struck until the sound is heard will be slightly (approximately 0.003 seconds) longer. (For a kick, select “KD7,” and if the result is not stable, try “K 1” or “K 2.”) (TD-8 Manual, Page 128.)

Bruce

Comment

Thank you for the replies.
        I have great volume. When I go to the section where it has the volocity meter, Should it hit the peak mark everytime I strike a drum?
        Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

My drum kit

Comment

No, adjust sensitivity so that it only does that for harder kits.

What trigger type are you using?

Bruce

Comment

I set the snare 8RA, toms to 8B, 10B and 12B kick K8. The sensitivity is on 7. I have pd-7 pads and they also peak on the velocity.
            When I first got the td-8 I reset it to the factory setting and the sensitivity was on 9. Thats when I lowered it to 7.

My drum kit

Comment

All sounds logical enough. Any real problems now?

Bruce

Comment

Bruce I really appreciate all the help. I was concerned that when I hit the drums or pads semi hard they peak on the volocity meter. I was wondering if that would cuse damage to the module or is that normal.

My drum kit

Comment

I don't think it'll damage the module. It'll have a max velocity it can play at, so, if your trigger signals go over that, it'll just ignore the velocity if its too high. All you're doing is narrowing your potential dynamic range.

Comment

Working...
                  X