Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-6V expanding to 4 toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-6V expanding to 4 toms

Okay, I am sure it has been asked and answered already, but i couldn't find it by searching this forum, but how do I use the 2 in 1 cable to add a fourth tom on my TD-6?

The thing they call a manual doesn't explain what to do. Here's the deal: I recently bought a CY-5, which is awesome, to use as a hit-hat. This makes my current hi-hat pad ( a PD-8), serviceable as another tom tom. I went out and got a cable splitter so I can have 2 pads going to one input jack.

The problem now is that I can't get the 'new' tom to be different than tom 3. The brain treats them both as the exact same. Can't my fourth tom be a different sound than tom 3? I assume so, otherwise it would be relatively pointless. In the manual, it says to strike the rim of tom 3 and set it to "TOM4:H.." What does this even do? I can't follow the logic here. I understand when using the 2-for-1 cable I would lose the rim sounds, but I can't seem to get this to do what I thought it would.

Please help me or help me to locate the undoubtedly numerous posts showing me the answer.
    I could be the Walrus, but I'd still have to bum rides from people.

I'm at work, writing this from memory... so, I hope I'm getting it right.

First, hook everything back up in the normal configuration. You have to do this step BEFORE you perform the split.

Strike the rim of Tom 3. Then, edit the "rim" to read "TOM4:H08."

Next, hook up your new tom/pad using the splitter. Strike the newly connected pad. You now need to edit the pad type to read PD-8.

Strike the two pads to hear if you have them hooked up to the proper side of the splitter. If one is in the wrong position (high tom/low tom), just swap the leads at the splitter.

I hope that helps. If my memory failed me, and I got it wrong, someone else please correct me.
    Last edited by TNT; 05-13-08, 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

If Tom 3 and Tom 4 sound the same, you may need to check that the cable splitter you have is an insert cable; stereo to dual mono, as other splitters (e.g. stereo to dual stereo headphone splitter) won't work. With the correct type of cable or adapter, the steps on Pages 70-71 summarized by TNT for changing the Tom 3 rim to a Tom 4 head should work fine.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks, guys. I will try what TNT said. And double check the splitter. Bart, can i tell if it is the right type by looking at it? Don't the notches in the ends 'say' something about it?

Comment

I used these to split out the connections on inputs 5/6 and 7/8. This isn't the exact one as this one has dual stereo female and stereo male, but they have one with dual mono female and stereo male. I just didn't look through Radio Shack's whole catalog to find the exact one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Plug one into the respective ports on the module, connect cables from the pads, and then do like TNT said. It worked great. By the way, you can tell stereo from mono by the ends...stereo has two "stripes", mono has one.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Just a quick note ... I did this on my TD 6 for both ports that support this. I followed the manual and it went smoothly, no issues. As stated make sure you have the right cables. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, fullback. I'll check to see if I have the one with the 2 stripes or not. My guess is my splitter is the wrong type.

thanks, vdrummer. it's probably my technically gifted self ( sarcasm) for the reason I can;t figure this out.

Comment

Thanks again, guys. It appears as though I have the wrong cable. i do in fact have stereo to stereo.

One thing I still don't get, why change the tom 3 RIM to tom 4? Isn't the new pad going to be tom 4?

Comment

Yes, and that's why you have to change it. You want to use the Ring part of the Tom 3 Tip/Ring/Sleeve input for Tom 4 instead of Tom 3 Rim.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by misterzero View Post
                    One thing I still don't get, why change the tom 3 RIM to tom 4? Isn't the new pad going to be tom 4?
                    The module is default configured to have Tom 3 as being dual triggered. So, when you program Tom 3's rim to read Tom 4, you're telling the electronics that the previous dual triggered tom is now two separate single trigger toms.

edit: Bruce answered while I was typing.
                    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
                    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
                    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
                    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I gotcha. That does make sense. It seemed kind of strange at first, but I see it now. Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X