Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD12 toms sound flat through PM30 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD12 toms sound flat through PM30 amp

I have aTD12 hooked up to a Roland PM-30 amp, and for some reason, the tom sounds aren't all that amazing. They sound nothing like it does through headphones...but the rest of the kit sounds pretty decent. Any ideas?
    TD-12, KD-120, CY15, CY14.

Are you coming out of the TD-12 via the Direct Outs or Master Outs? I'm using the Master Outs and I get good sound out of all. My amp setup is a little different from yours, but Direct versus Master makes a difference.
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

I am using the Master Outs. Perhaps it is my PM30 settings, considering I really haven't played with them that much. Anybody have some good PM-30 settings to use?
      TD-12, KD-120, CY15, CY14.

Comment

I used my td-20 with my pm30 (both new) for the first time together tonight for a rehearsal and I'm having the same problem as you. I'm finding it very difficult to eq and get a good sound from all the instruments. The bass drum sounds great, the first two toms don't have enough bottom end and the second two have too much..snare's not great either. But I'm a real newbie to electronic drums, I'm waiting to get some professional help from another drummer.
        Like you, I've been playing through headphones for the last week and they sounded amazing, but it's always going to sound less better through any other speakers once you get used to listening through phones

Comment

Hey Guys,

I have the same problem listening through the Roland TDA700 amp... it definitely does not have the same clarity, crispness and definition as my headphones (ATH-M50).

I am looking into a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Evidently this helps clear up some of the signal that amps tend to distort and should help with the end result of a crisp, defined sound. Let me know if you have heard of these and have any thoughts or first hand experience on what to expect.... sounds like a good idea at only $99.

Secondly, make sure you load some VExpression packs (VEX kits).... these are night and day better than the stock kits that come on the module. These guys are magicians at tuning the kits to sound like those of our favorite acoustics.

Good luck and let is know what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sopranos View Post
            Hey Guys,

I have the same problem listening through the Roland TDA700 amp... it definitely does not have the same clarity, crispness and definition as my headphones (ATH-M50).

I am looking into a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Evidently this helps clear up some of the signal that amps tend to distort and should help with the end result of a crisp, defined sound. Let me know if you have heard of these and have any thoughts or first hand experience on what to expect.... sounds like a good idea at only $99.

Secondly, make sure you load some VExpression packs (VEX kits).... these are night and day better than the stock kits that come on the module. These guys are magicians at tuning the kits to sound like those of our favorite acoustics.

Good luck and let is know what works for you.
            Very interesting. I play mostly through the ATH-M50 phones and the toms sound pretty damn good. Last night for the first time in a month (after mesh toms upgrades) I played through my Simmons DA200S amp and the toms also sounded flat. I spent some time doing tom rolls and rhythms on the toms thinking my velocity was off but agree with the lack of clarity, crispness and definition. Keep in mind I'm only using a TD3 module.
            TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
              Very interesting. I play mostly through the ATH-M50 phones and the toms sound pretty damn good. Last night for the first time in a month (after mesh toms upgrades) I played through my Simmons DA200S amp and the toms also sounded flat. I spent some time doing tom rolls and rhythms on the toms thinking my velocity was off but agree with the lack of clarity, crispness and definition. Keep in mind I'm only using a TD3 module.
              Yep, I fully agree that the ATH-M50 cans sound AWESOME! However, the TDA700 speaker amp is not even close to as clean as my headphones.

I wonder if the BBE Sonic Maximizer would help.

Comment

I have the ATH-M50s. the PM-30 and a new BBE sonic maximizer. I agree that the headphones sound great compared to the amp.
                I am very happy with the result with the BBE. Now when I disable it, it does indeed sound "flat".
                I'm SO glad to have it...it has made quite a difference.

Comment

You could try adding 200-300hz and then cut 4-500. It sounds like you are missing low mids in the pa. You could do this in the master eq or channel eq. I used to have a live eq and studio eq setting,but for some reason the tdw20 sounds work on both.
                  Peter

Comment

[QUOTE=sopranos;349286]
                    Secondly, make sure you load some VExpression packs (VEX kits).... these are night and day better than the stock kits that come on the module.
                    QUOTE]

How can I get these VExpression packs?

Comment

I experienced the same. Through experience, I have now set up some quite specific kits that sound "just right" though my PA (irrespective of what they sound like through headphones).

For VExpressions packs,just visit

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com

You will not be disappointed!!!
                      :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by gjmunro View Post
                        I experienced the same. Through experience, I have now set up some quite specific kits that sound "just right" though my PA (irrespective of what they sound like through headphones).

For VExpressions packs,just visit

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com

You will not be disappointed!!!
                        Yeah, I just looked at the website. It looks the biz. Some great kits there. Not too expensive either. I'll certainly invest in a few of those, but I want to get my sound sorted out a bit better first. I don't want to throw good money after bad. I'm sure we'll all be able to sort this out with a bit of help from those in the know. The one lad I know that uses a TD-10 with the PM-30 for gigs get's a brilliant sound so he'll be able to tweak mine for me. I hope the rest of you can get someone to help ye out too. Ultimately I'm going to use mine to trigger my dw collectors series kit, I won't be using an electronic kit to gig at all. I just used it for the first time for a rehearsal with pads and got a bit of a shock.
                        The thing is not to get comfortable with headphones. I had the same experience when I first got the SPD-20. I plugged it in with headphones and fooled around with it for weeks before I introduced it to the band. I got very disappointed with it once I heard it back through the P.A. it just didn't sound the same. I got used to it after a while though and it sounded fine.
                        At rehearsal last night though, everyone thought it sounded crap, so I know something just isn't right, but I'm sure it can be eq'ed better.
                        Best of luck to everyone with their respective equipment.
                        Ian

Comment

have you tried going from the headphone out to the amp? I think that this is a recommendation for the PM-30.

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
                            have you tried going from the headphone out to the amp? I think that this is a recommendation for the PM-30.
                            As far as I know, with my limited knowledge of the thing, it's an option but not a recommendation. I don't see a reason why it should be any better. I'll try it al the same

Comment

Just got off the phone with my drumming buddy Liam. As I mentioned he's being using the PM-30 with the TD-10 for a few years now and has never had these problems. He used to use the PM-30 with pads and now uses it to trigger acoustics. He goes through the PA directly from the TD-10 and gets a great sound, but when he turns on the PM-30 it makes a bigger difference again. It doesn't matter which way you go though, you can go to the PM-30 first.
                              Anyway he's does a gig every Sunday evening locally. This Sunday I'm not gigging at all so I'm going in to meet him as he sets up and check it out for myself. Next Monday night I'm taking all my stuff to our rehearsal rooms and set it up as before, along with my dw's which I intend to trigger. Liam's going to bring his TD-10 and we're going to make a few comparisons and see where the trouble lies. I reckon myself it's just a matter of editing the instruments until you get them the way they should sound.
                              I'll report back here next Tuesday and share what I learn.
                              All the best,
                              Ian.

Comment

Working...
                              X