Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

KD7 Kick Trigger Broken - Can I Use PD120 As Kick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD7 Kick Trigger Broken - Can I Use PD120 As Kick?

Hello list - A good friend is letting me use his VPro set but unfortunately the KD7 Kick Trigger is broken. I was wondering if I can use one of the 12 inch VPads as the kick (since I have two of them). From looking at the set, it seems that I can move the pad to the center of the main rack and drop it down to the kick drum position (then connect the kick cord). I wasn't sure if I would damage the drum in anyway and therefore wanted to ask for your advice. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Jay Adams

Should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
      Should work just fine.
      but where can the pedal clamp on????
      (I am facing the same problem)

Comment

I'm using a DW 5000 series pedal placed on a large piece of scrap carpet (carpet is larger than the entire set - therefore the carpet is held in place by the weight of the rack). I've screwed the mounting bolts for the pedal into the carpet to hold the pedal in place.

Comment

Also, I forgot to mention that the DW pedal has velcro on the bottom to help hold it in place. So, the bolt / velcro / carpet combo seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the KD-120 trigger mounted near the rim and not in the center of the pad(I think I read something like that somewhere on this forum). This would be the case so you won't damage the trigger.

The PD-120's do have them in the center. So you might damage it?
            Music was my first love...

Comment

I'd say the key would be to have the beater strike off-center. I remember someone here using a PD-120 as a kick trigger, can't remember who it was though.

Stu
              "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

The KD 120 also has foam in the center to prevent head damage. I would NOT recommend the PD 120 for a kick.

Comment

I use it and it works great! Just set the beater off-centre, set your trigger settings for the kick to PD120, fart with your sensitivity a hair and your off to the races. I got used to the new "feel" and so far it has worked flawlessly. I use industrial Velcro on the bottom of my pedal and it sticks to any pile type carpet with amazing strength. No need to clamp the pedal.

Multilin

Comment

If the bass beater is hitting the PD120 which is attached to the rack, would the vibration shake the whole rack? Would you also get some cross talk, etc?

I would try to fix the KD7. Unless the rubber pad which your beater strikes has melted or broken, it's very very easy to fix. If interested I can help you here.

Fon.

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Vibration is no more a problem then any other pad clamped to the rack. I mounted mine and adjusted the height of the beater so that it strikes above the cone hence closer to the clamp which reduces the vibration alot. You may have to raise the crosstalk on other pads, I did not have a problem here. One other point, I use a Tama Iron Cobra which comes with a disc-shaped, felt beater which has a large surface area striking the head, this I think also helps reduce the pounding near the sensor by spreading the force across a larger area on the PD. I highly recommend trying out one of these beaters from Tama.

Multilin

Comment

Working...
                      X