Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9 Questions [S/K and double pedal]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9 Questions [S/K and double pedal]

Well I go my TD-9 yesterday and it is amazing! I do have a few questions however....
    1. I ordered the TD-9S and received the TD-9K...What is the difference?
    2. I tried attaching a double pedal to the KD-8 but since a double pedal does not hit the center of the pad I get no triggering...If I put a single pedal in the middle it is fine....Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The difference between the kits is the tom pads - the cheaper version has rubber pads the more expensive one has mesh heads.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

Hi Machster,

- 1. I ordered the TD-9S and received the TD-9K...What is the difference?

No difference (except perhaps the PSU rating). I'm assuming you're not in North America? Roland kits are sold as TD(9)-S (set) in North America and TD(9)-K (kit) in the rest of the world...

- 2. I tried attaching a double pedal to the KD-8 but since a double pedal does not hit the center of the pad I get no triggering...If I put a single pedal in the middle it is fine....Any ideas?

I'm surprised you get no triggering at all. Even so, make sure the pedal setup is such that the beaters are each an equal distance from the head, and reduce the THRESHOLD level in the trigger parameters for the bass drum input. Admittedly, many people find the KD8 to be not exactly easy or stable to set up for double pedal use, so if you're primarily a double-pedal player, GAS (Gear-Acquisition-Syndrome) will kick in over the next few months and you'll want a mesh-head kick pad...

Simon

Comment

Great advice Flurbs... I have been struck with GAS since I purchase my TD12. It's been so bad that my wife has been trying to find a cure for it. I told her that the only cure I know for GAS is the new TAMA Drum Throne they sell at my local drum shop. I am sure that a good seat is going to put an end to all my GAS problems. Well at least untill somthing else causes the problem to return. I think drum mags can be a cause of the problem... Hmmmm.

Another way to run double base is to get another trig pad and run two singles. Or as you say if he already has a duel kick a KD-85 could be the next stepp or a larger mesh kick pad.

Sooner or later he WILL get GAS.. and their is only one medication to fix it.

Mardy

Comment

I am in North America and the PSU is standard 120V AC...I really cannot see a difference but I was just surprised to see the 'K' model arrive....It was of course one of the first kits released in the U.S. so maybe that is how they are keeping up with demand.....

I have already been looking at the KD85 but I will hold off until GAS kicks in! I will also play around with the threshold levels and see if that does any good.....

Thanks!

Originally posted by flurbs View Post
          Hi Machster,

- 1. I ordered the TD-9S and received the TD-9K...What is the difference?

No difference (except perhaps the PSU rating). I'm assuming you're not in North America? Roland kits are sold as TD(9)-S (set) in North America and TD(9)-K (kit) in the rest of the world...

- 2. I tried attaching a double pedal to the KD-8 but since a double pedal does not hit the center of the pad I get no triggering...If I put a single pedal in the middle it is fine....Any ideas?

I'm surprised you get no triggering at all. Even so, make sure the pedal setup is such that the beaters are each an equal distance from the head, and reduce the THRESHOLD level in the trigger parameters for the bass drum input. Admittedly, many people find the KD8 to be not exactly easy or stable to set up for double pedal use, so if you're primarily a double-pedal player, GAS (Gear-Acquisition-Syndrome) will kick in over the next few months and you'll want a mesh-head kick pad...

Simon

Comment

It's normal for a TD-xS kit to come in a box marked TD-xK in the US:

"All Roland V-Drum sets are sold as a complete set with an "S" in the model number (TD-12S, for example). The "S" refers to a complete set that is packaged in multiple boxes. One box (two for TD-20S) contains the kit components and is designated by a "K" in model number on the box.
            The other box contains the drum stand and is marked with the model number of the stand."

Current V-Drum Sets - What's in the boxes?

For a double pedal, the KD-8 manual says;

"When Using a Twin Pedal: Position the two beaters equally apart from the center of the pad as shown in the figure at left [Page 9]. If one of the beater[s] is further away from the center than the other, the sound from the further beater will be lower in volume, or will not sound as desired.

Using a twin pedal will result in lower sensitivity as compared to when a single pedal is used. Raise the sensitivity on the sound module."

Bruce

Comment

Yes. The sensitivity is what you need to increase.

Comment

The sensitivity adjustment did the trick! Thanks to all and great forum!

Comment

2: I just picked up a Pearl P-122TW double pedal for my KD-8 and I found that it worked much better if I used an allen key to loosen and move the primary beater closer to the left beater. This brings the two beaters closer to the centre and I only had to increase the sensitivity on my TD-3 slightly. Not sure if your pedal can do this, but it helped with mine. Also make sure the beaters aren't hitting too low. I prefer the beater shaft to be a bit shorter, but the KD-8 triggers a lot better if the beaters hit right in the middle of the pad.

Comment

Working...
                  X