Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simmons DA200S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons DA200S

Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forum. I have the first of what will surely be many questions.

I just brought home a Simmons DA200s Monitor/Amp. Just plugged in the higher that Master Volume is turned up the more hiss I have. It hisses quite a bit, especially if the High EQ is turned up. Is this normal or did I get a bad unit? Anyone with experience with these? Should it be quiet or is the hiss just something to expect and live with?

Thanks in advance

-Cram

That's what you get when you buy cheap gear.

You don't have to live with it, ask for your money back or exchange for something better.. and it'l not be difficult -- to find something better that is

Comment

Go back to where you bought it and get a refund. Take that cash and save
      up some more and buy a better unit. Do more research and ask to check
      out other monitors when you get the funds together. As with all gear you
      get what you pay for. Good luck on the hunt !!! E
      Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

I own a 200s and do not experience the issue you described.

I DO get a hiss if I plug an auxiliary audio input into my TD3 from a laptop that is plugged into a power supply. This is due to a ground loop problem with the laptop power supply if I understand it correctly. Unplugging the power supply from the laptop gets rid of the hiss.

Overall I am very happy with the DA200s.
        TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Unlike most Simmons brand gear, that drum monitor has actually received a lot of positive comments from people here who have been using it. Take some time to check out all of the possiblities before jumping to conclusions. You can get hissing out of any monitor, no matter brand or price, depending on a number of factors. Once you've walked through everthing, if you're still not happy, sure, return it.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Thanks guys. I actually did do a search for amps/monitors prior to buying this unit, and the overwhelming percentage of posts for the Simmons D200s were very positive. So, I'm a little surprised that the first two posts were so negative. Guess I wasn't looking in the right places.

Would a Peavey KB3 be a better option? If not, what would be a good alternative. Remember, this is for practice and also a stage monitor. I need an XLR pass-through to the board. I need to stay in the $300 range.

Thanks,

Cram

Comment

Sent you a private message, Cram.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

There's always a reason for a negative post:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showpost.php...6&postcount=13

Comment

Working...
                X