Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Hi-Hat 'splash' problem fixed with the TD8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Hi-Hat 'splash' problem fixed with the TD8?

I currently have a TD3 and like everyone its seems have a problem with the FD-8 giving any kind of 'splash' sound.

I have done the infamous mod and it was better for a few days, but its gone back to how it was.

I now have a TD8 on the way, and wonder whether the TD8 performs any better in this area. I thought that the splash problem was caused by the module and not the pedal.

But after reading some posts here, I am now not so sure.

Once I get my TD8, will I expect any improvement in the volume of the 'splash'?

Jon

Do you mean "chick", not "splash"? I don't think the TD-3 ever does "splash" even with a pedal modification. Anyway, I think you will notice an improvement with a TD-8 as I never had any problem with an FD-8 on a TD-8.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce may be right, you can't do a tight 'chick' with the TD-3, but that isn't a limitation of the FD-8.

But perhaps we need a glossary or something to explain 'splash'...
      Wouldn't half-open qualify as a splash?
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

A heel splash is where you close the hat and then immediately open it again (essentially "bouncing" the top cymbal against the bottom), getting an open hat sound without using a stick stroke to initiate it. I don't know about the TD-3, but it'd drive me *nuts* not to have the heel splash capability- I use it all the time...

Comment

ok, that makes sense.

Mine will do that, but it's very quiet, which I assume is the problem that jweaver alludes to in the opening post.
          My left foot is by far my weakest link, which would account for why I never saw this as a problem... until now...
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Sorry all.. I was under the impression that the sound you get when pressing the hi-hat pedal, so that the 2 cymbals met, was called a 'splash'... I got this idea from this well known post:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23538

On the TD3, when you press the pedal you get a minute sound.. By following the above post, you can make it louder, but in my case the improvement wasn't significant.

I just wondered whether this 'problem' was iscolated to the TD3, or whether it affected the entire range.

Basically.. What happens with the TD8 when you press the pedal.. Do you get an obvious sound?

Jon

Comment

The TD-6(v) suffers the same problem too, and as that is closely related to the TD-8, I'd be suprised if it didnt suffer it equally. The TD-12/20, and the new TD-9 seem to be much better in that respect.

Comment

I think the answer your looking for is NO! the problem with the, foot closed "chick" sound not being loud enough, you refer to is in the pedal not the module. I recently changed from a td3 to a td8...
                My Kit
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Hi all,

No probs doing the "splash" with an FD-8 on a TD-6V.
                  - the standard "chick" sound is achieved using the normal downward pressure motion with either a flat foot action or the ball of the foot (depending how well your ankle will flex)
                  - I use a slightly different technique for the "splash" where I use the ball of my foot in a sort of kick forward action (something that was self taught from using a-drums)
                  It's not quite as loud as on a-drums but definitely gives the desired result
                  I do play barefooted and maybe this makes a difference......

Comment

Out of interest, my friend just bought a 2nd hand TD-12 and brought ot over to me last night.

We swapped out my TD3 so that we could have a play and used my FD-8 pedal, and I can confirm that on the TD12, the 'splash' (as I called it) is fine.

So, whilst the problem may be caused by the FD-8, I think that its a combination of the way that the TD3 integrates with the FD-8 which is the problem. On my TD3 (With the same FD-8 pedal, there as an almost silent 'spalsh'.

I guess I will have to wait until my TD-8 arrives to find out whether its better or not!

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
                      I currently have a TD3 and like everyone its seems have a problem with the FD-8 giving any kind of 'splash' sound.

I have done the infamous mod and it was better for a few days, but its gone back to how it was.

I now have a TD8 on the way, and wonder whether the TD8 performs any better in this area. I thought that the splash problem was caused by the module and not the pedal.

But after reading some posts here, I am now not so sure.

Once I get my TD8, will I expect any improvement in the volume of the 'splash'?

Jon
                      Hi Jon, regarding the closed "chick" sound with the FD-8/TD-3 - have you tried re-lubricating the relevant parts? I have found that the primary issue is that you must regularly lubricate the pedal in order for it to function properly. (In my experience needs vasoline on the hammer and plate every few months.)

Comment

Originally posted by ebsbert View Post
                        Hi Jon, regarding the closed "chick" sound with the FD-8/TD-3 - have you tried re-lubricating the relevant parts? I have found that the primary issue is that you must regularly lubricate the pedal in order for it to function properly. (In my experience needs vasoline on the hammer and plate every few months.)
                        Tried everything.. I made it better.. But it was never brilliant.. At first, I turned the hammer over (as I read that this could be the problem).. But since its curved, it now made continous contact with the plate and it was worse.. So I put it back as it was and added the felt pad.

This only had a minor impact for me and its still far to quiet.

However, as I said, I connected it to my friends TD12 at the weekend and it makes a really loud "chink"...

So, whilst the FD-8 is the cause.. There are other modules which are not affected in the same way that the TD3 is...

When I get my TD8 I will test and may then look again at the FD-8 if its still a problem.

Jon

Comment

On my TD6, adding the felt pad made a big difference in terms of volume of the closed "chick" sound. I eventually placed it close to the "top" of the unit as much as I could. A switch to the TD12 then improved the situation in terms of a foot splash.

Comment

When the hihat is half way open its called sizzling not splash.

Edit:Oh nevermind you guys are talking about the quick open close release of your foot.

Comment

[This only had a minor impact for me and its still far to quiet.]

Have you tried turning the pedal volume up in the module?
                              My Kit
                              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Working...
                              X