Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need MIDI help triggering Alesis SR-16!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need MIDI help triggering Alesis SR-16!

Hi everyone,

I bought a cheap Yoki kit on ebay that I'm learning on, and I had to buy
    another kick pad because the original was way too loud in the room. So
    I bought a Roland KD-8 and it's much quieter, but it doesn't trigger the sound
    in the Yoki brain (of course not! Why would it?!?) :-/http://vdrums.com/images/rolleyes.gif

So then I thought I'd use MIDI out to go into my Alesis, but I can't figure
    out what to do from the manual. Only the 3 toms and the open hi-hat sounds
    get triggered in the Alesis. I set it to omni receive, but some other settings must be wrong and I don't have a clue.

Is there someone here who knows MIDI and the Alesis who can help me?

Thanks so much!

Each sound (drum instrument) is assigned a MIDI note which is equivalent to the notes on a music keyboard. So if (as an example) a drum is assigned to note G#1 in the e-drum brain it must also be assigned to the same note in the Alesis. Consult your manuals for information on note numbers. However the fact that the drum brain doesn't recognise the Roland pad also means that particular pad will be unable to trigger the Alesis.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I put the cord for the ride trigger into the Roland kick and got the Roland to
      trigger the ride sound in the Yoki. What does that mean? You said the Roland
      wouldn't work with this module, why not? I thought all these things were just
      on/off triggers. They're not proprietary signals, are they???

I checked the manuals. Unfortunately there is no mention of note numbers
      in the Yoki documentation.

You think the Alesis won't work with the Roland either? Because Roland is
      only works with Roland?

Thanks a lot. This is confusing!

Comment

Originally posted by FireOneOff View Post
        Thanks for your response.

I put the cord for the ride trigger into the Roland kick and got the Roland to
        trigger the ride sound in the Yoki. What does that mean? You said the Roland
        wouldn't work with this module, why not? I thought all these things were just
        on/off triggers. They're not proprietary signals, are they???

I checked the manuals. Unfortunately there is no mention of note numbers
        in the Yoki documentation.

You think the Alesis won't work with the Roland either? Because Roland is
        only works with Roland?

Thanks a lot. This is confusing!
        Yeah, apologies for part of my advice. Without thinking I just followed your lead when you said the Roland wouldn't trigger the Yoki. My advice regarding matching the MIDI notes is correct though. You said you are getting toms and hats triggered in the Alesis, so all you need to do now is match the remaining notes on the Alesis. The pads which aren't triggering the Alesis sounds are failing to do so because the Alesis has no voices assigned to those note numbers on the Yoki. What you are trying to acheive is certainly do-able, but without being an owner of either product, and without manuals at hand it's probably a case of trial and error for you.

There's a possibilty however that the Yoki is General Midi compatible in which case this chart may be the answer:

GM Percussion KeyMap

Try assigning the sounds you wish to use on the Alesis to these note numbers (eg 38/D1=Acoustic Snare), and HOPEFULLY the Yoki will trigger the correct notes. Obviously you only need to assign the sounds which you intend to correspond to the Yoki pads.

Good luck, and apologies again for the wrong advice!

Comment

Working...
        X