Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD8: What are the V-Kick, V-Snare and V-Tom sounds for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD8: What are the V-Kick, V-Snare and V-Tom sounds for

I am just browsing the TD8 manual in preparation for the arrival of my new module.

I notice in the drum list that there are 2 catagories for Snare, Kick and Tom, called "V-Snare", "V-Kick" etc

Whats the difference between these and the non-V instruments? If they are just Snare/Tom/Kick sounds, why are there seperate sections for them?

Any info would be appreciated

Jon

Any instrument with a V prefix has extra editablility because they are COSM based sounds. This is the whole selling point of the higher end Roland modules and is what makes them stand out from the non-COSM based ones

Comment

... and the only place that's really explained in the TD-8 manual is a single sentence on Page 88: "For instruments other than the V-KICK, V-SNARE, or VTOM, only pitch and decay can be adjusted.".

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
        ... and the only place that's really explained in the TD-8 manual is a single sentence on Page 88: "For instruments other than the V-KICK, V-SNARE, or VTOM, only pitch and decay can be adjusted.".

Bruce
        Thanks for that.. I felt a bit guilty asking as I hadn't read the manual fully.. But it seems that even if I did, it not really explained..

I don't want to waste your time, but can you give me a rough idea what changes you can make wiht the V drums... The note in the manual implies that you can change the pitch and decay for ALL drums.. So what else can you do with the others?

Jon
        Last edited by jweaver; 05-04-08, 10:55 AM.

Comment

V-Edit on a TD-8 allows adjustment of:

DEPTH:
          V-KICK: NORMAL, DEEP
          V-SNARE: NORMAL, DEEP1, DEEP2, DEEP3, DEEP4
          V-TOM: NORMAL, DEEP

HEAD TYPE: CLEAR, COATED, PINSTRIPE

MUFFLING:
          V-KICK: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, BLANKET, WEIGHT
          V-SNARE: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, DOUGHNUTS1, DOUGHNUTS2
          V-TOM: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, FELT1, FELT2

STRAINER ADJ.:
          V-SNARE: OFF, LOOSE, MEDIUM, TIGHT

and TUNING (which is the same as Pitch for other instruments) but not decay.

Bruce

Comment

Beat me to it Bruce. Great post

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              V-Edit on a TD-8 allows adjustment of:

DEPTH:
              V-KICK: NORMAL, DEEP
              V-SNARE: NORMAL, DEEP1, DEEP2, DEEP3, DEEP4
              V-TOM: NORMAL, DEEP

HEAD TYPE: CLEAR, COATED, PINSTRIPE

MUFFLING:
              V-KICK: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, BLANKET, WEIGHT
              V-SNARE: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, DOUGHNUTS1, DOUGHNUTS2
              V-TOM: OFF, TAPE1, TAPE2, FELT1, FELT2

STRAINER ADJ.:
              V-SNARE: OFF, LOOSE, MEDIUM, TIGHT

and TUNING (which is the same as Pitch for other instruments) but not decay.

Bruce

Only a slight improvement over the TD3 then

So for each of the instruments, there are pretty much 100s of combinations of how they can sound.. That frankly amazing.

The biggest problem I have with the TD3 right now, is that I can't get it to sound right and there are so few type of each instrument, that you don't get much choice.

For example for the Kick, once you rule out the odd sounding drums, you are left with 2 and neither of them really sound that convincing.

And in my case for the Toms, of the few that I like the sound of, they are at the wrong pitch..

I can't wait to get the TD8... I had a play with the TD6 yesterday and was blown away so the TD8 is going to be amazing!

The only thing I am going to miss is the 'coaching' feature which does not appear to be there on the TD8, but I can live with that!

Thanks for your help with this.

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X