Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Hot spot on a PD-105 & TD-9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot spot on a PD-105 & TD-9

I am experiencing the dreaded hot spot on my new TD-9SX snare (the PD-105). I did a bunch of reading about it here (Grog's and gingerbaker's posts specifically), and most of the solutions are based on the TD-10 or TD-20. Does anyone have some settings that I might try on the TD-9 to reduce the hot spot?
    I am not a heavy hitter, and my settings currently are set to a sensitivity of 10 and a threshold of 2. I like this sensitivity setting, because regular snare hits produce about 75% of the power level of the snare, with some room for loud cracks if I want to accent. However, if I happen to hit the dead center with a normal hit, I get the crack of a heavy hit when I don't want it....
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    [FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]My current setup:
    TD-9SX, with a KD-120, extra CY-8, PM-30 monitor, and a 1971 Rickenbacker 4001[URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit1.jpg"] kit photo 1 [/URL] | [URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit2.jpg"] kit photo 2[/URL] | [URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit3.jpg"] kit photo 3[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE="1"]Protect your hearing. Tinnitus is [B]real.[/B][/SIZE]

Tried increasing head tension?

Bruce
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][FONT="Tahoma"][LIST][*]Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90[*]Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.[/LIST][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

As always, what Bruce said. That's the first step.

I bet that you can get a sense of the TD9's settings and how it compares to the other modules we've documented and then try a few tweaks of your own. Yeah, not the easiest approach. Also, per Joe K's suggestions in the same hot spot threads, look at different compressions settings.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I am way out of line here, because the only kit I have ever owned and used is a TD-10.

But a sensitivity of ten seems really high to me? It sounds like the setting is where you want it, Colquhoun, as you have described a decent situation with your snare response.

But needing a sensitivity of ten to get there seems off to me.

Have you tried changing the set up on the trigger bank to either the correct or a different pad type?

Again, I don't know your module, but you may want to hunt for the pad type that allows you to set a sensitivity level around the 2 to 5 area. The lower your sensitivity setting, the less likely you are to experience a hot spot.

Is there a documentation sheet which tells you Roland's recommended sensitivity settings for your module/pad type?

Best regards,

GB
        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

The default sensitivity for the TD-9 is 8. I will try all the suggestions you and others have mentioned...I thank you all, and will report back....
          TD-9SX, with a KD-120, extra CY-8, PM-30 monitor, and a 1971 Rickenbacker 4001[URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit1.jpg"] kit photo 1 [/URL] | [URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit2.jpg"] kit photo 2[/URL] | [URL="http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/Colquhoun/kit3.jpg"] kit photo 3[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Related to GB's musings on sensitivity, check the "curve" (I can't remember the name for the setting). On the TD10, it's the third setting on the same "page" as sensitivity and threshold. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the TD9 has that editing capability. Often times, even a straight curve is too much. However, I've seen that LOUD1 and LOUD2 are typically the culprits for hot spot activity.

Again, all this assumes the modules are similar in that regard.

And yes, please report back. If you can establish a baseline in the TD9 that eliminates hot spots, future TD9 users will be exceeeedingly grateful.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
              I am experiencing the dreaded hot spot on my new TD-9SX snare (the PD-105). I did a bunch of reading about it here (Grog's and gingerbaker's posts specifically), and most of the solutions are based on the TD-10 or TD-20. Does anyone have some settings that I might try on the TD-9 to reduce the hot spot?
              I am not a heavy hitter, and my settings currently are set to a sensitivity of 10 and a threshold of 2. I like this sensitivity setting, because regular snare hits produce about 75% of the power level of the snare, with some room for loud cracks if I want to accent. However, if I happen to hit the dead center with a normal hit, I get the crack of a heavy hit when I don't want it....
              Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
              I know this sounds like I'm being a smartass, but I don't know how else to say it.

Don't hit it dead center unless you want to.

If you're not hitting the head where you want to, then practice hitting the head where you want to.

Comment

yeah, that's what I do.

I drew a line around a nickel onto my (drum)head with a permanent magic marker.

Everything outside that circle is "off limits", and i hit only inside the nickel sized circle.

It has improved my stick accuracy a lot. The only problem is that I can't play more than three beats a minute.

The other thing I tried is to cut out the mesh in a circle just over the hot spot. For this, I drew a line around a quarter with a magic marker centered right at the center of the mesh head. The quarter, not the magic marker was in the center of the head. The magic marker was just outside the center of the head - exactly the amount equal to 1 radius of a quarter coin outside a spot dead center in the middle of the mesh head.

Except the exact center of the head is only an imaginary point spot now, because I used Girl Scout safety scissors and cut out the area of the mesh head outlined in permanent marker which was the size of a quarter coin. I had removed the coin after outlining it because it was no longer needed and Girl Scout safety scissors dull very quickly.

This quarter-sized-hole-in-the-exact-center-of-the-mesh-head plan was doomed to failure, however. Even though it completely eliminated the hot spot on the mesh head, because the mesh head was missing, it turns out that the sensor hot spot was still there and worse than ever. I guess you could say I didn't use the correct change.

(with apologies to drumphonic)
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post
                  yeah, that's what I do.

I drew a line around a nickel onto my (drum)head with a permanent magic marker.

Everything outside that circle is "off limits", and i hit only inside the nickel sized circle.

It has improved my stick accuracy a lot. The only problem is that I can't play more than three beats a minute.

The other thing I tried is to cut out the mesh in a circle just over the hot spot. For this, I drew a line around a quarter with a magic marker centered right at the center of the mesh head. The quarter, not the magic marker was in the center of the head. The magic marker was just outside the center of the head - exactly the amount equal to 1 radius of a quarter coin outside a spot dead center in the middle of the mesh head.

Except the exact center of the head is only an imaginary point spot now, because I used Girl Scout safety scissors and cut out the area of the mesh head outlined in permanent marker which was the size of a quarter coin. I had removed the coin after outlining it because it was no longer needed and Girl Scout safety scissors dull very quickly.

This quarter-sized-hole-in-the-exact-center-of-the-mesh-head plan was doomed to failure, however. Even though it completely eliminated the hot spot on the mesh head, because the mesh head was missing, it turns out that the sensor hot spot was still there and worse than ever. I guess you could say I didn't use the correct change.

(with apologies to drumphonic)
                  Simpler still, just remove the cone..... works every time for me (with apologies to the GingerbreadMaker)
                  [CENTER][COLOR="#0000FF"]There are 3 types of drummers in the world - those who can count, and those who can't[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="#00FF00"]OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN FOR ANIMATED AVATARS FOR ALL[/COLOR]
                  TD-12, VH-11, 2x PD80 (dual trigger), 2x PD85, 1x PD-125, 2x CY14, 2x CY15, PM3.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Drumaphonic View Post
                    I know this sounds like I'm being a smartass, but I don't know how else to say it.

Don't hit it dead center unless you want to.

If you're not hitting the head where you want to, then practice hitting the head where you want to.
                    This is what I have resorted to doing. I'm perfectly capable of avoiding the center, just a little bothered that I'm forced to do so.

I tried tightening the head up as much as I can stand. I heard the head crack a little as I was doing it, reminded me of acoustic heads, and it seemed to have gotten rid of some of it. Yes, grog, there is a curve option on the sensitivity, and I have it set to linear. I'll try fooling with other settings next.

Comment

No apologies necessary gingerbaker, I was lol when I read it.

Colquhoun, I didn't mean to be derogatory with my comment I hope you didn't take it that way, if so then I apologize.

I, as well as the drummers I know, play slightly off center and use the center for accents so I just assumed.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Comment

No offense taken ...and it is not a hijack either....
                        Just coming to grips with the fact that it might be something I need to live with.

Comment

It shouldn't be something you need to live with. As GB has said in the "definitive" hot spot thread, there are ways to tweak around this problem.

It still bugs the hell outta me that Roland has done NOTHING on this very serious shortcoming after all these years. Okay, I don't assume they'll engineer their way out of the issue but perhaps having something, somewhere, that says "here's how you program away your hot spot".

No, instead the ignore it and let users muddle thru hoping they find a fix or simply "getting used to it". Grrrrrrrr.

I'm convinced you'll be able to tweak this away.

Comment

how about a thinnish piece of fabric lodged between the top of that center thingy and the tightened mesh? Not so thick that a bulge will develop at the center of the head, but thin enough to slightly dull that hotspot at least a little, and still maintain good sensitivity?
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            My TD-9 has entered the solar system, traveled to earth, peirced the atmosphere, and finally touched down gently on my back yard all the way from Planet Rolandus.
                            [url]www.davidparkmusic.com[/url]
                            [url]www.myspace.com/davidparkmusic[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
                              Simpler still, just remove the cone..... works every time for me
                              WHAhahahahahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO!!! That killed me!!!!! nice one man woohoo
                              [color=green]TD-10 EXP V-Session Kit ( 2 PD 100's, 3 PD 120's, KD 120, 2 CY14C's, CY15R, CY12H, and FD7) , Sabian cymbals for gigs, Roland Fantom X6, MicrKorg, EMU XL-7, Yamaha bass guitar, Yamaha AW16G, audio optimized and stripped Dell Dimension 8200 w/ P4 2Ghz, 1Gb rdram, 320Gb dedicated audio drive, XP home sp2, dual monitors, Digi 001 running Pro Tools 5.3, EMU 0404 PCI audio/midi interface, Acid Pro 6d, and SD2 [/color]

Comment

Working...
                              X