Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Using the TD-10 without the drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the TD-10 without the drums

I am using the TD-10 as a sound module with Cakewalk 9.03. I do not own the drum kit, just the box. I am trying to add a little spice to MIDI drum loops by randomizing the snare sounds. You know how the V-Drum kit's timbre changes as you move around the head of the drum? Supposedly, I can re-create that thru MIDI control messages from Cakewalk. Control change 16. Anyways, the controls don't seem to run the gamut from 0-127 like every value in the MIDI world. It just acts like a rimshot-on/-off switch when I try to go thru that range. I have tried just varying the values from 1-16 and that actually does change the timbres a little better. But it still isnt like when you use the kit. I am curious if there is something I am missing out on with these controller values! Has anyone else tried this? Roland support had no idea. Neither did Sweetwater Sound's tech staff. PLEASE, somebody???

Originally posted by lionofdeath:
    I am using the TD-10 as a sound module with Cakewalk 9.03. I do not own the drum kit, just the box. I am trying to add a little spice to MIDI drum loops by randomizing the snare sounds. You know how the V-Drum kit's timbre changes as you move around the head of the drum? Supposedly, I can re-create that thru MIDI control messages from Cakewalk. Control change 16. Anyways, the controls don't seem to run the gamut from 0-127 like every value in the MIDI world. It just acts like a rimshot-on/-off switch when I try to go thru that range. I have tried just varying the values from 1-16 and that actually does change the timbres a little better. But it still isnt like when you use the kit. I am curious if there is something I am missing out on with these controller values! Has anyone else tried this? Roland support had no idea. Neither did Sweetwater Sound's tech staff. PLEASE, somebody???
    Hello. I don't think you're missing anything. I think you are at the limit of the technology. I think what happens when you send a Midi CC #16 message is you are instructing the TD-10 to turn on or off a second snare sample. So for values < 64, you get sample one, and for values > 64, you get sample two. So there is no "in between" sound.

Here's another way to get some variation in your snare sound. Construct a number of different snare sounds, and assign them to neighboring Midi note numbers. Now, instead of having your sequencer always play the same snare note number, transpose some snare hits to the neighboring notes, and you will get greater variation in your snare sound.

Every Midi piece I do has a variety of snare sounds in it: Cross-stick, dull muffled off-center hit, sharp banging center hit, rimshot, etc. Each of these is triggered by a different Midi note number, and that way I can choose what sound occurs and when. jmp

Comment

Working...
    X