Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will reversing bass beater cause damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will reversing bass beater cause damage?

I'm a new drummer and just love my TD6V drumset. I have the black rubber KD-8 bass drum, not the mesh one. Having bass drum rebound problems, it plays 2 notes instead of one due to bouncing. I have a felt beater on the pedal, I found that turning the head around and using the very hard solid black plastic side eliminates the bouncing problem. There is a slightly louder "smack" sound, but not bad.

I'm asking for advice from more experienced folks if this will damage my bass drum? And if so, what else can be done to fix the bounce problem?

Thank you for reading
    =============================================

"Jack of all intruments, Master of none"

Roland TD-6V drums with PD105 snare, Fender Lone Star Strat, Traben 4 String Bass, Yamaha Piano

those kd 8's are virtually indestructable, take some getting used to and may require some adaptation in technique to work properly.
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
    :cool:
    ;)

Comment

simple answer, yes the hard plastic beater will damage your kd8,s playing surface. I used the kd8 for a few years with a plastic beater and it wears the rubber away, It will not effect the performance at all it is purely cosmetic, like Fred said they are pretty much indestructible. As for the bounce you can use the retrigger cancel, don't know what the td6 offers never had one, or develop better playing technique, not meaning to offend there...
      My Kit
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

You could also consider applying a standard nylon or similar patch at the impact point on the rubber bass drum; it would lessen the impact, protect the head, probably reduce the bouncing problem no matter what beater you use, etc.

Use of a patch shouldn't effect triggering - and would protect the bass head regardless of it's material (rubber, mesh, acoustic, etc) and should stick well to the surface as long as it's properly applied and cared for.
        Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

Seconding the Falam patch (or similar). I had some wear on mine so I stuck a patch on. No lessening of triggering sensitivity and it really isnt that much louder.

Even Gaffa can work, but you'll be replacing it fairly regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenderman View Post
            ... what else can be done to fix the bounce problem?
            Increase the "Mask Time" for your kick trigger in your trigger settings. Here is an excerpt from page 74 of your owners manual which gives a little background on the "Mask Time" trigger setting:
            On a kick pad, for example, if the beater bounces back and strikes the pad a second time immediately after the intended stroke—or, like with acoustic drums if you leave the bass drum beater against the head—it can cause a single strike to “double trigger” (two sounds instead of the intended one). The Mask Time setting helps to prevent such problems...
            -SD-

Comment

Thank you for the great advice everyone. I will try them all and also turn that head around, don't want to make my baby look ugly!
              =============================================

"Jack of all intruments, Master of none"

Roland TD-6V drums with PD105 snare, Fender Lone Star Strat, Traben 4 String Bass, Yamaha Piano

Comment

Working...
              X