Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using my TD-20s for silent practice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using my TD-20s for silent practice...

Wow, its been forever since I've been here, but I've gotten myself back in to a music project and wanted to have my guitar players, vocals, and bass player at my house to do rehearsal.

I have a TD-20, but I'm curious as to what I would need and how I would go about having everyone plug in with headphones so we can all hear each other.

What do I need to do?

Have a look at the Mackie HMX56. Quite a few people here have them and swear by them. Not sure on price though..... As long as you're band is not more than 6 people.... You'll also need pre-amps/pods for bass/guitar/vox. Or, you can run from the line outs on amps and a small mixer for the vocals.

Comment

Difficult to find a Mackie HMX-56 in stock anywhere though. I think it's discontinued.

Bruce

Comment

Yes, but some ingenuity and some luck on ebay you should find one.

Comment

I was lucky enought to get an HMX-56 before they were discontinued. I still cannot understand why Mackie stopped making them. They could sell them for $300 and still move them, IMO.

A relatively inexpensive alternative is a Rolls 4-channel headphone amp. You don't get the custom mix option of the Mackie, but I had one prior to my Mackie and it worked fine. Just don't use earbuds - the impedance mismatch can create problems. I don't see any reason why you would not be able to plug a second Rolls headphone amp into one of the four outs on the first and get seven channels, or even cheat a bit and use a y-splitter to get a fifth set of phones.
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Working...
          X