Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midi Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi Cables

I have the TD3 and was wondering how do I connect it to my computer so I can use EZdrummer or Addictive Drums? I was thinking about getting this :
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MIMSCMA6

I currently have the Sound Audigy 2 ZS sound card on my computer and was wondering if I get that cable, will I be able to run EZdrummer on my TD3?

You'd probably be better off with a midi-USB cable. Search here for some of the options..
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

m-Audio Uno works great for me. MIDI to USB and does a great job triggering EZDrummer from my TD-8. Worked on fire up and have been able to record some excellent sounding drums into Reaper. I loves me a sweet sounding Supraphonic or a Black Beauty.
      Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

you ever hear back from anyone on this? I too have a TD-3KW kit and was wondering if the MIDI jack on the back of an X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatality PCI sound card would be acceptable with the appropriate MIDI cable? OR is the M-AUDIO MIDI Uno USB adapter still the preferred route?

Comment

As many have said, the "M-Audio Uno" is the way to go.. But also consider the "Edirol UM-1EX" which is officially made by Roland.

The M-Audio is very popular, but several people have said that there have been problems with the latest versions/drivers.. I went for the Edirol and have had ZERO problems, so I am happy to recommend it.

I would avoid the 'cheap' cables.. Some people have had success with certain cables, but if you get one which doens't work, its waste of time and money.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon for your advice. Incidentally I had placed an order for the M-Audio Uno which I cannot cancel. I'll give it a try and, if unsuccessful, will order the Edirol UM-1EX from Amazon. I was a bit hesitant at first since the Edirol UM-1EX only had 3 customer reviews. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I took 'the risk' by buying one of these generic USB MIDI cables from Amazon.co.uk, and it is amazing!

You can buy the same one on eBay.com (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MIDI-CABLE-I...3286.m14.l1318) and ebay.co.uk (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-USB-MIDI-C...d=p3286.c0.m14).

Seriously, I plugged it in, it installed the drivers itself and then I was away! I have no latency whatsoever with my Toneport UX2 set as my default sound card, and I use EZDrummer all the time (I prefer the sounds to those on the Alesis DM5).
              Last edited by delude; 07-01-08, 02:40 PM. Reason: Added links

Comment

Originally posted by delude View Post
                I took 'the risk' by buying one of these generic USB MIDI cables from Amazon.co.uk, and it is amazing!

You can buy the same one on eBay.com (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MIDI-CABLE-I...3286.m14.l1318) and ebay.co.uk (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-USB-MIDI-C...d=p3286.c0.m14).

Seriously, I plugged it in, it installed the drivers itself and then I was away! I have no latency whatsoever with my Toneport UX2 set as my default sound card, and I use EZDrummer all the time (I prefer the sounds to those on the Alesis DM5).

Interesting.. So you got "Drivers" with that cable? Thats key.. The 'risky' cables are the ones which don't have drivers (like the one I bought).. These simply don't work for SYX files..... But if yours has 'drivers' then I think that this is an important factor as to whether a given cable will work or not.

Its still risky, as the sellers of these types of items on Ebay send to change the spec without notice...

In my case, I tried a cheap cable and it turned out to be a waste.. But thats not to say that ALL cheap cables are bad.. Its just that you take a 'risk' buying on, should you actually receive a type which doens't work!

Jon

Comment

Another vote for the Edirol UM-1EX. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
                    Interesting.. So you got "Drivers" with that cable? Thats key.. The 'risky' cables are the ones which don't have drivers (like the one I bought).. These simply don't work for SYX files..... But if yours has 'drivers' then I think that this is an important factor as to whether a given cable will work or not.

Its still risky, as the sellers of these types of items on Ebay send to change the spec without notice...

In my case, I tried a cheap cable and it turned out to be a waste.. But thats not to say that ALL cheap cables are bad.. Its just that you take a 'risk' buying on, should you actually receive a type which doens't work!

Jon
                    Well, to be honest I am not too sure about what exactly the cable has, just that it works! Everywhere I read it said 'Connect to computer USB socket for automatic installation of the driver' and the first time I plugged it in it did indeed take maybe 30 seconds before the 'hardware installed' balloon popped up.

Yesterday I patched my DM5 with the SYSeX file on the Alesis website, and the software I used to send the file across said 'File sent' after a loading bar and a visual of the info being sent across, so I guess that works fine.

Comment

Jon, I've installed the Edirol UM-1EX as you've suggested. Do you recommend using the factory Roland XP drivers that ship w/ the unit on CD-ROM or what people are referring to as the asio4all drivers (or another)? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
                      As many have said, the "M-Audio Uno" is the way to go.. But also consider the "Edirol UM-1EX" which is officially made by Roland.

The M-Audio is very popular, but several people have said that there have been problems with the latest versions/drivers.. I went for the Edirol and have had ZERO problems, so I am happy to recommend it.

I would avoid the 'cheap' cables.. Some people have had success with certain cables, but if you get one which doens't work, its waste of time and money.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by miles267 View Post
                        Jon, I've installed the Edirol UM-1EX as you've suggested. Do you recommend using the factory Roland XP drivers that ship w/ the unit on CD-ROM or what people are referring to as the asio4all drivers (or another)? Thanks in advance.
                        I have used the drivers that came with the cable and its been fine.. I also downloaded the 'latest' drivers from Edirol but am not sure if they are any more recent than the ones I have!

I havn't heard of the "asio4all" drivers, but to be honest, the Edirol ones work perfectly, so I have no reason to look elsewhere.

I did have one problem (And this might still be the case).. Several times since I have installed the cable, when I plug it in, it goes through the whole "Found New Hardware" process (i.e it asks for the drivers)... This seems to happen every time I connect the cable.. But I don't know if its gone away, as I now have a dedicated laptop connected to my kit and the cable is permenantly connected....

If you get this problem, then perhaps it might be worth looking at the 'asio4all' drivers as an alternative.. But as long as you get it working 100% with the Edirol drivers, I would personally stick with them!

Good luck.. Any problems, just ask.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                        X