Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-10 EXP snare trigger questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10 EXP snare trigger questions

1) I've had my V-session(flagship) kit since 2001 and I only play ONE custom kit that I tweeked into ultra-realistic acoustic drum sound. When I hit the exact center of the snare pad(12" mesh) I sometimes get a Very loud snare sound that does not mix well with the average volume of the snare. What trigger parameter will fix this?......I've fiddled with all of them and nothing helped...I even played with the compression settings to no avail.

2) I also turned the snare rim sensitivity OFF because I don't have a stand that properly fits a 12" drum and I get false rim shots.....I also split the rubber rim early on from beating the crap out of it in a metal band. SOoooooo will a proper snare stand allow the TD10 to trigger rim shots correctly, as long as I don't clobber the snare to death? TIA
    Last edited by SPISHAK; 04-23-08, 12:06 AM.

signature check take 1

Comment

1. Thats called a hot spot and is a well documented problem here. Use the search to find the previous threads and solutions.

2. Yes. Have a look at the Tama AirRide. If you get the one without the upper basket, your PD-120(I guess) will simply clamp onto the stand and you wont need to worry about finding a basket that closes enough. If you look here at the HL70WN, you'll see what I mean. That said, many snare drum stands will close up on a 12inch drum.

Comment

I've posted specific settings for the exp TD10 (heavily derived from gingerbaker). Between his posts and my posts on the hot spot, you'll find all the settings you need to eliminate it.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I used the bleeping search engine, which works pretty well, BTW, and came up with the settings for my snare. Hope this helps you

from 2005:

On the kit itself:

Ambience, Compression, EQ, Effects - all are ON.
          Master EQ is flat

Group Volume - Drums - 123 ( A good place to pick up extra volume for your kit - max up the group volume)

The snare:

patch: 654 Studio S

Mixer snare volume - 110

Snare Compressor settings:

Threshhold - ( -46)
          Ratio - 2:1
          Attack - 9
          Release - 50
          Output - 11

EQ settings:

200Hz - +2
          5kHz - +3

Effects settings:

Time - 2.0
          High Cut Freq. - 16k
          Spread - 13

Effects send level - 4
          Effects send return level - 100

Snare Trigger Settings:

Bank - set as 12A

Sensitivity - 2
          Thseshold - 4
          Curve - EXP1

Scan Time - 2
          Retrigger Cancel - 4
          Mask time - 12
          X-talk - off
          Mount - separate

Rim Tension - normal
          X-stick Threshhold - 95
          Rim Sensitivity - 4
          Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I remember having to tweak my settings a teeeny bit from these. Probably cuz I was using different hardware (seriously, my Pintech Concertcast had the hot spot something bad whereas my Hart Accupads, much much less) and a different snare sample.

Between the two (GB's and mine) and whatever you end up selecting, you'll be able to tweak away the hot spot.

A postscript on that. Actually, the hot spot is still on my setup. However, only the sound person picks up on that. She indicates that some of the time, the signal clips from the snare. Nothing else and only if I hit it in well, the hot spot. We've been meaning to retweak that to see if we can make it go away. But it's an interesting manifestation of the hot spot.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Ginger: I pretty much already had my settings dialed in like yours....except the snare patch.....switched to 654 Studio S and the hot spot is gone?!?! I then edited COSM to my snare sound preference and I'm golden

After skimming thru some hot spot posts, I agree with some that this problem can manifest itself through bad settings, pad failure, and most surprisingly, BAD PATCHES. The old patch was 90 Medium 1 S and was the one I've stayed with until now. 90 is easier to do rolls on than 654 though (prolly my terrible technique)

Finally!!! REAL DEAL kit is sounding perfect! Thanx to Ginger and Grog for assistance. Sorry for making you do the SEARCH for me, but it's impossible to find answers when you don't know the name of the problem. Next time I swear I won't be such a PITA

Comment

The definitive Hot Spot discussion:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ferrerid=10317

On page 4, you'll find my settings. GB's are somewhere before. After page 4, Joe K leads everybody in a big discussion on using compression.

Ignore any posts you see in that thread about "the hot spot being a myth".

Comment

Hi Spishak

Glad the patch change helped.

I still scratch my head about that sort of thing. All I can come up with is compression settings, but I'm not sure that is the whole story.

Just wanted to ask you - how long has it been since you changed your cone on your snare? Those little devils break up on the inside tho they can look fine from the outside.

Do you think that might help? I have lots of snares on my kits - no hot spot on any patch, so I think that should be the goal, don't you think?

Oh yes, one last thought. Don't hit me for this one. Be sure your kit is not set up for brushes, as the sensitivity gets ridiculously high. It's not hard to mis set that one - it is only a click or two away from the opening screen.

If you are like me, and get the urge to play after having some scotch whiskey occasionally..... well you can see where I am going, from cruel experience, on this one.

Comment

Gingerbaker: The brush setting has NEVER been on As soon as I brought the kit home in 2001 and installed the expansion board, I settled on the "Real Deal" kit with various tweekings, of course.

When I switched snares, as in 90 to 654, I wrote down the settings for the snare, and NOTHING changed except for shell , which defaults to WOOD, and I prefer BRASS so I changed it back. EQ, COMP, & Ambiance are as they were before.....but the hotspot was gone

As for the cones, they must still be OK, because I don't play the kit but for maybe 4-5 hours a week, as I'm mangling my hardware synths mostly nowadays. Also, none of the trigger sensitivities are more than midway, and I don't get false triggs, and if anything heavier than a FLY lands on a pad I get a trigger. Can you believe the TD10 is still on the STOCK backup battery? After joining here I found out how to change it, so I'll do that this weekend. I haven't looked much, but are Roland cones still available, or do I have to make them? Thanx Gingerbaker, you've been quite helpful
                    Last edited by SPISHAK; 04-24-08, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Hi SPISHAK

I am pretty sure that Roland cones are still available, either from Roland or a retailer.

You know, simple aging can make a cone deteriorate. If you still have the original blue cone(s) on your snare/kit I can virtually guarantee that you need to replace them.

I have actually heard of a fellow up here in Vermont that changes his cones every few months, which seems way overboard.

All I can say is that I was amazed at what a difference changing the cones made on my kit, when I finally got around to doing it. I didn't think that they were all that bad, but they evidently were. Some you could see had pretty significant deterioration, but others seemed good.

But, ALL my drums played much better after I replaced the cones. Smoother rolls, less machine gunning, better linearity of response, no lost hits (false triggering was never a problem). I could turn my sensitivities way down. They are now at about "2" or something which is great.

So... REPLACE DEM CONES!!

If you have trouble finding them, give me a PM - I have some extras floating around the palace somewhere, and I can send you one.

Best regards,

GB

Comment

What GB said: Replace the cones. If you read thru the Ultimate Hot Spot Thread, you'll see that I went thru the exact same thing with my Concertcast. Once I replaced the cone, that helped a bunch.

Comment

I looked around on the interwebs and could not find replacement cones. I called Roland and they want 17.50 EACH They also asked if my cones were blue, which they're not, and they said good because i would also need to change my sensors......WTF?

Could you most excellent heroes of drumming goodness steer me towards some cones that are a bit cheaper? TIA

Comment

Question about the hotspot and cone. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow reading up on the links, but I have found the same thing with my PD-105 on my TD-8. I've also found where I will occasionally hit the snare pad and I don't get a sound. It happens randomly and maybe 3-4 times in your average 4-5 minute song. Kinda a PITA. I thought it might have been miss hits, but I've been paying more attention to what happens down there and it befuddles me. Should I be looking at the cone for replacement? I bought the PD-105 used. I'm using VEX exclusively.
                            Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Cones

Originally posted by SPISHAK View Post
                              I looked around on the interwebs and could not find replacement cones. I called Roland and they want 17.50 EACH They also asked if my cones were blue, which they're not, and they said good because i would also need to change my sensors......WTF?

Could you most excellent heroes of drumming goodness steer me towards some cones that are a bit cheaper? TIA
                              They are talking trash, here's a link for some great cones from UFO i just ordered some, i had one before, they are A1, they are pictured on the site.

Email him and he will send you a Paypal invoice or whatever suits, it's a new site as he's also on Ebay but u can get his email addy through this website ...

http://www.ufodrums.com/

Here is his Ebay link, he has a pack of 3 for $17.75 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmitchman63 you can buy them there.

He has a great reputation on here.
                              Last edited by daveybabes; 04-25-08, 11:36 PM.
                              WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                              YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                              FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                              :eek: ...
                              Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                              Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Working...
                              X