Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I get dual triggers when I try to duplicate pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I get dual triggers when I try to duplicate pads?

Last edited by Swaledale; 04-18-08, 10:26 AM.

Each of your pads has two triggers. Each input jack on the module can only receive two triggers.

Even when you split the cable with your adapter, that same jack on the module can still only get two trigger signals. It just gets those two signals from two different pads after the split.

Mathematically: 2 pads with 2 triggers each = 4 triggers. After splitting, 4 pads will only yield 4 trigger signals. The module can only handle 2 trigger signals per jack.

Sorry! That's just the way it is.

I hope that I explained it well enough.
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Sounds like its not a stereo splitter to me.

Comment

Hi TNT. Sorry but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. If I have two identical pads sharing the same trigger, the module doesn't know this... it just receives the trigger signal whether it comes from one pad or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
          Sounds like its not a stereo splitter to me.

If I just have one pad plugged in I get dual triggering, so it is giving a stereo signal - the problem comes when both pads are plugged in.
          Last edited by Swaledale; 04-18-08, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
            Sorry but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.
            In the normal configuration, a pad uses the tip of the cable connector for one trigger and the ring for the other trigger. When you split that cable to use two pads, the tip becomes one pad and the sleeve becomes the other pad.

And, ige87 is right... those aren't splitters. The vendor misrepresented them. Those adapters merely parallel the connection so that a person can use two sets of headphones. I didn't snap to that fact earlier. (it still won't work for what you're trying to do)

You need something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ble?sku=333030

Perhaps someone else here could explain this better than I have.
            Last edited by TNT; 04-18-08, 11:19 AM.
            VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
            Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I can only assume that connecting the second cable reduces the strength of the rim signal by spreading it down the extra wire. Have you tried various trigger type settings for those Aux inputs?

Bruce

Comment

Just a guess here but it sounds like an impedance problem to me.
                What you are doing is essentially connecting two rim piezo's and two head piezo's in parallel. As you may be aware, piezo's will generate a voltage when physically stimulated and will also vibrate in response to an applied voltage.
                When you connect two in parallel (as you are with your splitter) the piezo that generates the signal will also send that signal to the other piezo connected to it (via your splitter) and will present a load to the signal, reducing it's amplitude.
                I would try increasing the sensitivity and decreasing the threshold on the input with the two pads connected to make up for the lower amplitude signal from the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                  When you split that cable to use two pads, the tip becomes one pad and the sleeve becomes the other pad.
                  Not with a stereo to stereo adapter.

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                  And, ige87 is right... those aren't splitters. The vendor misrepresented them. Those adapters merely parallel the connection so that a person can use two sets of headphones. I didn't snap to that fact earlier. (it still won't work for what you're trying to do)

Perhaps someone else here could explain this better than I have.
                  The "merely parallel" is exactly what he is trying to do.

Bruce

Comment

Guys, it looks like we were all writing our replies at the same time

Comment

Stereo

If those spliters are like the ones I have, it has a male plug (stereo - two pathways - left and right) molded to two mono females (either a left or right). There is only one signal coming into the stereo jack from either pad. You could wire one up yourself by using two stereo female plugs and siring them both to one male stereo plug. Not sure if there would be feedback betweem the pads, but each pad would send two signals to the TD-12.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                        Guys, it looks like we were all writing our replies at the same time
                        Nope. Midday here, not midnight.

And yours was sooooo much more technical than mine.

Bruce
                        Last edited by BarT; 04-18-08, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tchagray View Post
                          If those spliters are like the ones I have, it has a male plug (stereo - two pathways - left and right) molded to two mono females (either a left or right). There is only one signal coming into the stereo jack from either pad. You could wire one up yourself by using two stereo female plugs and siring them both to one male stereo plug. Not sure if there would be feedback betweem the pads, but each pad would send two signals to the TD-12.
                          The Ebay description is
                          1/4” (6.35mm) Stereo Plug to Two 1/4” (6.35mm) Stereo Sockets
                          so those adapters should be fine (as is proven when SD connects just one pad and it works).

There will be interaction between the two pads (as per my post HERE) but that will not cause any damage.

Comment

OK... I stand corrected. That's why we value Bruce so much here.

However, if a dual trigger jack could accept four triggers by using a stereo "paralleler" not "splitter," I'm SURE someone would have done that by now! And we certainly would have read on this forum that you can run more pads than Roland advertises. It really would help out a number of GAS attacks!

But, it sounds like SuperPuss is on the right track. Her recommendation seems logical. I'd be interested to find out if this works!

I could be wrong again... but the time stamp you're looking at shows the time a post was submitted based your own local clock. (Bruce, your post shows up as 6:27pm, which is the current time here in Italy)
                            Last edited by TNT; 04-18-08, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Bruce, are you sure we are not identical twins?

Comment

Working...
                              X