Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pads?

Not sure where to place this post ....

I have maxed out my TD12 in terms of pads. What is the most cost effective way to add others? I think Roland makes the TMC6 for this, but that is $300 maybe? Can you still have the COSM tweaking? Is there a cheaper alternative?

THX ...

There is a limit to the number of COSM channels, internal or external, so no you likely wouldn't have COSM on your TMC6 channels. Probably the most cost effective way is to pick up a used TD-3 or the like and use it as a TMI. I see those go for well under $200 on Ebay.

Comment

Hmmm... just a shot in the dark here but I wonder if the upcoming TD20 expansion card will give us extra COSM channels? THAT would be cool
      Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ettsn View Post
        Probably the most cost effective way is to pick up a used TD-3 or the like and use it as a TMI. I see those go for well under $200 on Ebay.

this is indeed the best way to add pads - i have this on my kit, and use it for cowbell, 8" splash, china crash, hihat tambourine and planning to add timbale/bongos. pleased i kept my TD-3 when i upgraded!

TD-3 module can be connected using the two output jack sockets into stereo "mix in" socket on TD-12 (or whatever..).
        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
        :cool:
        ;)

Comment

You cannot use COSM features with a TMC-6 at all. The TMC-6 simply routes by midi and triggers the default sound in the main module.

I would recommend the upcoming TD-9 as an expansion alternative. While it doesn't provide actual COSM tweaking, it does provide the effect features to get great cymbals from the module so you can move all your toms to the TD-12. That's what I'm planning to do if the cymbals are as good as I expect.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
            You cannot use COSM features with a TMC-6 at all.....
            You can if you have spare COSM channels available...
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=10

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
              You can if you have spare COSM channels available...
              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=10
              Ok, maybe I missed something in the TMC-6, but how do you trigger the rim of a pad? I thought you could only trigger the actual midi notes? Has anyone actually done this?
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'm about to find out first hand. I just purchased a TMC-6 from tactguy004
                I'm just going by what Bruce has posted so far.

Comment

Well, I believe you can only trigger "midi notes" via the main module, which is only the actual default sample in the module. You can add effects, but not COSM parameters. I don't know a way of triggering the rim of a pad.

But hey, I hope I'm wrong. It'd be a cool remedy for many. I only took the default "perc kits" route when I had mine. Hated it. Sold it.
                  Alan

Comment

Rims have separate note numbers from heads. To trigger any TD sound via MIDI, it has to be in either the current kit or the current percussion set (i.e. pattern part).

Bruce

Comment

Thanks. So you really need another module (sort of what amonline stated.) if you want the same flexability. I agree that using the TD9 for cymbals and the 12 for snare/BD/TOMS is a great approach, just expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
                        Ok, maybe I missed something in the TMC-6, but how do you trigger the rim of a pad? I thought you could only trigger the actual midi notes? Has anyone actually done this?
                        Using the TMC-6 with TD-10 (got it!)

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
                          Thanks. So you really need another module (sort of what amonline stated.) if you want the same flexability. I agree that using the TD9 for cymbals and the 12 for snare/BD/TOMS is a great approach, just expensive.

Second hand TD-6 prices are likely to fall with the release of the TD-9, so that might be a good option. I use a TD-6 with a TD-12 much as Mystic Fred does with his TD-3.

Comment

Ok Bruce, I think I get it now. Maybe I should get another TMC.
                            Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X