Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD3 Rim shot not working on PDX-8 Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD3 Rim shot not working on PDX-8 Snare

I have just bought a 2nd hand TD3 which I am very happy with it.

Everything seems to work as expected, except the 'rim shot' on the PDX-8 snare.

On the CY-8 Cymbals, the rim shot works EVERY time.. But on the Snare, I can't get it to trigger consistenty.

A few times I have seen the 'rim' light flash when I hit it a certain way, but I have been unable to make it happen on demand.

I also thought that there was a 'cross stick' feature where you can hit both sides of the rim with a horizontal stick but that does nothing.

Does anyone know where I can start to look at this?

Jon

I should have added that I have tried a few things, but nothing is conclusive

1. Tried another cable - Still doesn't work, so the cable must be OK

2. Swapped the Cymbal and Snare over, assuming that the 'rim shots' were inter-compatible, but apparantly they are not so this didn't prove anything

3. Tried hitting all around the rim, but there is no 'point' in particular which triggers.

As I pull the cable out of the snare, the 'rim' light comes on, so I think the brain is OK.. If anything is at fault, I think its the Snare.. I might give Roland a call tomorrow to see if they have any ideas..

If anyone has any suggestions though, I would like to hear..

All the best

Jon

Comment

(From The RolandUS.com knowledge base..)

http://backstage.rolandus.com/knowle...p?HD_ID=104501

Not able to get Dual Trigger Response from the Snare when using a Roland Mesh Pad:

Product: TD-3SW TD-3SV TD-3

If you're unable to get dual trigger response from your snare mesh pad, it's most likely due to an improper "Trigger Type" setting in the TD-3. To set the trigger type for the snare pad, use the following steps:

Note: First confirm that an appropriate dual trigger cable is being used for the pad, and it's connected correctly to the TD-3.

1. With the TD-3's power turned on, press and hold the LEVEL/PAN button, and then press TEMPO.

2. Release LEVEL/PAN and TEMPO, then hit the snare pad.

3. Press the + or - buttons to select the appropriate trigger type for the pad:
      For a PDX-8, PD-80R, PD-85, choose "80r".
      For a PD-105, choose "105".
      For a PD-120 or PD-125 choose "125".

4. Press the DRUM KIT button when you're finished.

Comment

Drew,

If it's a used TD-3 kit, is there an outside chance that the PDX-8 may be subject to the "recall"?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          Drew,

If it's a used TD-3 kit, is there an outside chance that the PDX-8 may be subject to the "recall"?

Bruce
          Could be. Obviously if the "80r" trigger type setting doesn't solve the problem, this might be the case.

jweaver, check if the serial number on your PDX-8 is within the range listed from the link Bruce provided. It is printed on a small sticker on the underside of the pad. In the US, there may be a small orange circular sticker near the serial number sticker. The sticker indicated an "updated" PDX-8 pad from 2006 when the problem was discovered.

Thanks Bruce!
          Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 04-16-08, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks all... Just before I went to bed last night I had a play and discovered you could set up which pads were connected to which input.

My Snare was set as a PD8, but in the manual the PDX8 wasn't shown.

So I set it to PD-80R and it works.. Infact it works too well now, as I can now see how inacurate my shots are as I am hitting the rim 50% of the time.

Looks like the previous owner didn't even know about the rim shot.

Thanks for that.. I just wish I had come back and posted this last night and saved you the time of replying.

Does anyone know if there is an updated manual for the TD3? In the paper copy I have, and the PDF I have downloaded the PDX8 isn't mentioned.. But this is also true of the CY5.. On my set, the CY5 is setup as a CY8.. I changed it to a CY6 and now I have a 'rim' shot on that too.. But I am not sure if I should!

Cheers

Jon
            Last edited by jweaver; 04-17-08, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
              Does anyone know if there is an updated manual for the TD3? In the paper copy I have, and the PDF I have downloaded the PDX8 isn't mentioned.. But this is also true of the CY5.. On my set, the CY5 is setup as a CY8.. I changed it to a CY6 and now I have a 'rim' shot on that too.. But I am not sure if I should!
              No updated TD-3 manual, but there is an addendum to the TD-3K manual which gives settings for the PDX-8. And there are PDX-8 and CY-5 manuals which give settings on a TD-3.

Bruce

Comment

You can also adjust the Rim shot sensitivity:

Push: Level/Pan + Tempo, hit your snaredrum, set it to 80r,
                push: EDIT till you see cNR, push edit and adjust it with +/-
                it will be ok round level 7 for a 08R
                Alesis Trigger I/O + TD-3 + TMC-6, 2x PD-120, VH-11, 2x Pd-85r, 1x Pd- 80, 1x Pd-8, 2x CY-8, 1x Cy-12r, 1x CY-5, KD-8

Addictive Drums, Complete EZdrummer Series, Superior Drummer 2.0 + NY Legacy Expansion, Steven Slate Drums 3.0, BFD2

Comment

fixed it for me !

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
                  (From The RolandUS.com knowledge base..)

http://backstage.rolandus.com/knowle...p?HD_ID=104501

Not able to get Dual Trigger Response from the Snare when using a Roland Mesh Pad:

Product: TD-3SW TD-3SV TD-3

If you're unable to get dual trigger response from your snare mesh pad, it's most likely due to an improper "Trigger Type" setting in the TD-3. To set the trigger type for the snare pad, use the following steps:

Note: First confirm that an appropriate dual trigger cable is being used for the pad, and it's connected correctly to the TD-3.

1. With the TD-3's power turned on, press and hold the LEVEL/PAN button, and then press TEMPO.

2. Release LEVEL/PAN and TEMPO, then hit the snare pad.

3. Press the + or - buttons to select the appropriate trigger type for the pad:
                  For a PDX-8, PD-80R, PD-85, choose "80r".
                  For a PD-105, choose "105".
                  For a PD-120 or PD-125 choose "125".

4. Press the DRUM KIT button when you're finished.
                  Thanks, sorted it out for me . That'll teach me not to lend my kit out (prospective buyer)! instruction manual should have this idiot proof guide in it just for me

Vinny

Comment

Thank you all, I had done a factory reset and rim shot stopped, I thought I was going mad! You saved me. Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X