Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Macintosh Cubase MIDI File can't play on PC Cakewalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macintosh Cubase MIDI File can't play on PC Cakewalk

Can any help?
    I am using a Power Macintosh 7200 and using
    CUBASE 3.0.1. I saved my drumming as a "MIDI File" by clicking the MIDI FILE Filetype button.

Problem is my friend can't play those MIDI files using his Cakewalk software on his PC.
    Would anyone know why?

My files could be played on Windows Media Player on the PC however..
    Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

I'm not familiar with Cakewalk, but it sounds like your friend's MIDI preferences in Cakewalk need some looking at, especially concerning MIDI file type 0 and 1.

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Hi Stu,
      Thanks for your reply. If my friend has already tried that and it still doesn't work...

Does the MIDI File from my cubase need to go through any conversion first? He says the format is not found when he tried to open it, "thus it may not be a MIDI file". is what he says...

Fon

Fon.

Comment

I have three sequencers, Logic, Cubase and Cakewalk, and it works fine for me...

Open Cakewalk, go to "open file"..select "file of Type"...midi
        select "go to folder" ..project files, MID.

import the midi file from whatever drive its located on your PC.....

the files should load themselves into respective tracks, and to play them back select a midi port and device to play back your file....

Comment

Originally posted by R27789:
          Hi Stu,
          Thanks for your reply. If my friend has already tried that and it still doesn't work...

Does the MIDI File from my cubase need to go through any conversion first? He says the format is not found when he tried to open it, "thus it may not be a MIDI file". is what he says...

Fon

Fon,
          I just thought, how do you name your MIDi files on your Mac, do you give 'em a .mid suffix? That's something us Mac users tend to overlook. Are you just saving the file in Cubase or are you exporting it to MIDI? I've noticed that Windows Media Player will play back older Cubase song and arrangement files, why, I don't know, and I haven't found it documented anywhere, but it does sometimes.
          Also, what OS version are you using?
          You MIDI file doesn't need to go through any conversion, just as long as it gets it's suffix the PC shouldn't complain.

Stu

Comment

Stu,
            My friend has tried to give it a .mid suffix but it didn't work also. (manually changing the filename)
            Well, I saved the file in Cubase using "Save As" and clicking on the "MIDI File" for filetype option. I am interested in this "exporting to Midi" function. Have you done this using CUBASE? I think I have 7.5.2 OS on my MAC. Would it make a difference is I uses 8.0 version?

Fon.

Fon.

Comment

Stu,
              My friend has tried to give it a .mid suffix but it didn't work also. (manually changing the filename)
              Well, I saved the file in Cubase using "Save As" and clicking on the "MIDI File" for filetype option. I am interested in this "exporting to Midi" function. Have you done this using CUBASE? I think I have 7.5.2 OS on my MAC. Would it make a difference is I uses 8.0 version?

Fon.
              Well, I'd recommend upgrading to at least OS 7.6, or at least upgrading MacTrans and PC Exchange to the current versions(you can find them on Apple's site). I'm using OS 9.1 and just switched from Cubase to Logic Platinum 4.7. My Cubase version couldn't save as a MIDI file, but only export, and I've never had any problems that way. You also had to use the import menu to load a .mid file. There should be import and export options in the file menu.
              It won't work if your friend renames the file, Windows won't have recognized it, and will continue to have problems with it. YOU have to assign the suffix to the file when you export it, otherwise the Mac with an OS version that early will save it in a format unreadable by anything but a Mac.

Stu

Comment

Stu,
                My MIDI files are now working on my friend's
                PC!!!!
                Thanks!!!!! I didn't think that saving it using a .mid suffix on the Mac itself would
                make any difference because it never uses suffixes for any files. So I tried adding .mid when "Saving as" and sent to my friend and it works!! There's no Import or Export MIDI functions on my version of Cubase, just Import/Export Audio files only. And my MAC OS is 8.5, not 7.5 as I mentioned earlier.

For your interest, pls see the 2 MIDI files
                below, first one with no .mid suffix and second saved with .mid suffix

Saved Without .mid suffix

MThd €MTrk '‚ ÿ Midi 10 ÿX ÿQ ¡ ° ÿX ÿQ ¡ ¹ , ™$A!¹ '%‰$
                ¹ "
                ¹ ) ¹ . ¹ 3 ¹ ; ¹ @ ¹ G ¹ L
                ¹ S2¹ N ¹ Gd¹ B ¹ < ¹ 5 ¹ 0(¹ +&™&;9‰& ™&2 ¹ & ‰& ™& ‰& ™&. ¹ ! ‰& ™& K‰& ™&-*‰& ™&)
                ¹ ‰& ™&- ‰& ™& ¹ ‰& ™&0 ¹ ‰& ™&* ‰& ™&'0‰& ™& <‰& ™&+/‰& ™&#"‰& ™&!-‰& ™&)B‰& ™&2B‰& ™&$.‰& ™&"'‰& ™& "™$?

************************************************** *****************************
                Saved With .mid suffix

MThd €MTrk '… ÿ Midi 10 ¹ ¹ ¹
                ¹ É ÿX ÿQ ¡ ¹ , ™$A!¹ '%‰$
                ¹ "
                ¹ S2¹ N ¹ Gd¹ B ¹ < ¹ 5 ¹ 0(¹ +&™&;9‰& ™&2 ¹ & ‰& ™& ‰& ™&. ¹ ! ‰& ™& K‰& ™&-*‰& ™&)
                ¹ ‰& ™&- ‰& ™& ¹ ‰& ™&0 ¹ ‰& ™&* ‰&
                ?????????????
                See the 1st line. Do you or anyone know what that first line means?

Fon
                Fon.

Comment

Stu,
                  My MIDI files are now working on my friend's
                  PC!!!!
                  Thanks!!!!! I didn't think that saving it using a .mid suffix on the Mac itself would
                  make any difference because it never uses suffixes for any files. So I tried adding .mid when "Saving as" and sent to my friend and it works!! There's no Import or Export MIDI functions on my version of Cubase, just Import/Export Audio files only. And my MAC OS is 8.5, not 7.5 as I mentioned earlier.

For your interest, pls see the 2 MIDI files
                  below, first one with no .mid suffix and second saved with .mid suffix

Saved Without .mid suffix

MThd €MTrk '‚ ÿ Midi 10 ÿX ÿQ ¡ ° ÿX ÿQ ¡ ¹ , ™$A!¹ '%‰$
                  ¹ "
                  ¹ ‰& ™&- ‰& ™& ¹ ‰& ™&0 ¹ ‰& ™&* ‰& ™&'0‰& ™& <‰& ™&+/‰& ™&#"‰& ™&!-‰& ™&)B‰& ™&2B‰& ™&$.‰& ™&"'‰& ™& "™$?

************************************************** *****************************
                  Saved With .mid suffix

MThd €MTrk '… ÿ Midi 10 ¹ ¹ ¹
                  ¹ É ÿX ÿQ ¡ ¹ , ™$A!¹ '%‰$
                  ¹ "
                  ¹ ‰& ™&- ‰& ™& ¹ ‰& ™&0 ¹ ‰& ™&* ‰&
                  ?????????????
                  See the 1st line. Do you or anyone know what that first line means?

Fon

Fon,
                  the first line is the filetype desciption, Mac and UNIX systems can almost always read this line and will know what to do, Windows systems ignore it mostly, and go by the suffix (stoopid PCs!).
                  I'm glad I could be of help, I generally make a point of saving every file on my Mac with a suffix, it makes life so much easier, especially with half the band using PCs.

Stu

Comment

Let's assume for a moment your buddy saved the file correctly. Also, since this is vdrums.com I wil guess you are trying to play these files back on your vdrum box? Remember to send drum info on track 10 and backgroung tracks on channels 3 and 4. Usually MIDI goofuses set everything to channel 1.

Comment

Working...
                    X