Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hart kick drum failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart kick drum failures

Anybody else seen this with Hart kick drum?

I have had to re-solder the sensor in my kick drum twice and now the sensor's wafer connection fell off at the solder point (I had to super glue it on again). I don't know how long my kick drum guts are gonna last. Also, the inner foam is worn out (a 2" hole has been made by my beater - weird).

I have only had the kit for about 9 months or so and I have already gone through a bass drum head (the mesh worn where the beaters hit and made a hole in it). This all kinda sucks.

I suspect my beaters. I am using the DW-7000 kick pedals with the plastic beater with the with felt across the front. Should I swap these out with something else that wont kill kick drum!!?

I have e-mailed Hart and asked them to send me out a spare set of "kick drum guts" (sensor, plate, and 2 foam pads).

Thoughts anyone?
    My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

I haven't personally used the Hart stuff, but I have experienced problems with punching holes through mesh. I found felt to be one of the problems, the head was actually eating away at the beaters. I also tried rubber and found it to actually get hot to the touch. I have had the best luck using plastic beaters. I currently use the Tama Iron Cobra beaters (not the pedals just the beaters). You can adjust them so the beater hits the head parrallel and not at an angle. Alot of beaters tend to hit the head at an angle with very little surface area actually contacting the head. The more surface contact the better.

Oops, I just remembered. Tamas only come in felt, wood, and rubber. After the rubber heated up and fell off the Tama beater (resulting in another busted head) I made my own tips from acrylic and epoxied them on in place of the rubber. You might give the wood a shot.

[This message has been edited by BtnkBndt (edited May 19, 2001).]

Comment

Look at the kick drum Jonathan Mover is using on the Hart demo video. It is damaged similar to yours. I would assume it is a flaw in the kick design more than a problem with your beater.

Comment

Call Peter Hart he will make it right. I had the same problem several years ago. I had one of the first giga sets. Actually the problem was not with the trigger but needing to isolate the wire from it and clamping it down better. I have had no problems since. I also went through the beeter head problem. I use a double DW with large felt beeters that hits the head in a straight fasion. (just as last post mentioned) and have not had a problem. That is one of the great things about Hart is their lifetime warranty. All edrums have their problems. I have owned and played several and I'll take my Harts anyday.
        TD-10xp
        Hart Acupads & Cymbals
        (Gigapro Set)

Comment

Unfortunately traditional upright kick pads take a lot of abuse in the piezo. Piezos are very delicate and they get some serious bashing from kick beaters. This problem is prevelant in many name brand kick pads as well as other edrum pads in general.

A solutuion is to blob hot glue around the solders on the backside of the piezo....silicone or epoxy will work as well, I just find hot glue easier to work with.

While the solder may be strong, the quartz material is easy to peel away from the backing of the piezo, and it is affected even more when heat is applied during soldering. That is why it is good to blob a bunch of glue back there.....

Hart is excellent to work with on warranty claims and may blob some extra glue on the piezo if you ask.

Personally I do not like mesh heads for kick pads. To me, mesh wears prematurely when getting struck by beaters, especially when there is not a full foam backing. If noise is not a problem, throw a mylar head on it - it will also help protect your piezo.

In a similar occurane, my SpaceMuffins kick drum failed because the piezo disbonded...but not fully. It would make sparatic contacts and cause huge spikes into the PA system. This all happened when I put a mesh head on it. Since then I have gutted the drum, put mylar heads back on, and am using a ddrum rim trigger. It is flawless.

Erik
          SEP

Comment

Trigger abuse on kicks is exactly why Roland's is 5" away from the impact point. I guess all e-kicks are not created equal.

Comment

We have experienced a few failures with some early model at ACUPAD Series X (ten) bass drums. The "mesh" style heads flex more than standard mylar heads, which caused the wire to break away from the brass dielectic on the piezo transducer. All ACUPAD Series X (ten) bass drums manufactured in 2001 have a revised assembly which has been tested to millions of cycles, and we have had zero failures to date. Anyone who's experiencing a problem or would simply like to upgrade may do so by simply sending us the drum with a check for $14 (standard process/shipping fee for lifetime guarantee).

The current mesh drum head technologies provide an extremely strong and durable drum head, even more so that standard mylar drum heads. Although these drumheads are extremely strong and durable the same paradigm exists . If you're using plastic or wooden beaters on your acoustic bass drum, surely you would put something on the head to protect it. The most important factors are how much surface area of the beater is contacting the head and the uniformity of the contact surface. If the beater hits at an angle it will pit the head and it will only be a short period of time before the head fatigues and splits . I'm using iron cobra beaters on a double pedal with the beater angles adjusted so they hit flatly against the head, play every day, and have not been through a head in three years.

If anybody has any questions or I can assist you in anyway, feel free to e-mail me.

P.S. The "design flaw" referred to by Cliff in the Jonathan Mover video is simply the brush coat wearing off a mylar head. The beaters used are plastic.

Thank you

Great forum!

Peter Hart

Comment

I do have to add to Mr. Hart's testimony about their mesh heads.... to date I have not seen a stronger, more durable mesh head. Theirs are a heavier weave, and are dual ply (Kontrol Screen's).... I would have to say that the Hart mesh heads are the most rigid out there...

If anyone has used or is using them, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Erik
                SEP

Comment

Sure do - and the smile has not left my face yet. Ií am a happy camper

------------------
                  szvook
                  Studio

Comment

Got my vote too. The 2-ply HART mesh heads - both 10 inch and 13 inch - are top notch. My experience is that they hold-up extremely well and have an excellent feel to them. I also use a self-adhesive Cordura EVANS bass patch that I've mentioned here before. I had to re-attach it with double-stick carpet tape about a month after I first put it on, but highly recommended also. I use a pretty heavy foot and the head is still like new. No wear on the 2-ply 13 inch snare head either.

Comment

Working...
                    X