Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

sound quality at low volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound quality at low volume

I have a question on sound quality. First let me tell you about me set up. I have a V-Pro set with the TD-10 module -> Mackie 1202 mixer -> BBE 482 -> KC-500 amp. I have been working on setting up kit that sounds as close as it can to the kits Lars Ulrich uses in the song Whiskey in the Jar (The snare sound has given me a lot of problems). I do a lot of my work at night in a little drum studio I have. I have to keep the noise down, so I turn down the out put level on my Mackie. After many hours of frustration I gave up. Last weekend I went out to try again but this time I turned up the volume and I had much better results getting the sound I wanted (Except for the cymbals). Now the Question! Is there a way I can get better sound quality at a lower volume level? Am I doing something wrong?
    V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Originally posted by drumbeat8u:
    Now the Question! Is there a way I can get better sound quality at a lower volume level? Am I doing something wrong?
    Been there, done that. Made loud to be played loud. Actually I just went through this for the zillionth time this weekend. This time I got lucky. I was ready to give up. The family went to the store so I cranked the volume up and the sound turned out to be perfect.

My guess is it is not possible to do (consistantly). Actually, you'd think the technology is there to adjust the lows and highs to compensate with a cut/boost in the right amounts as the volume varies. Of course the amp and speaker would have to be matched or you'd have to have a decent calibration program.

Maybe you can find a low powered efficient system for home use and use your current setup when you need to crank it. Finding a pair that would have the same sound coloration and curves may proove difficult.

Anyone got the ideal set up which doesn't have this problem?
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boingo:
      "Anyone got the ideal set up which doesn't have this problem?"

Yeah, but my setup is not for home use at all !!!!

My amp K2 @ 4 ohms http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/kgeneral.htm

My V-253 MI series speakers @ 4 ohms - http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/index.html

As far as the cut and boost goes, my Focusrite Platinum Range Compounder http://www.focusrite.com/products/platinum/p3.html

When Roland makes a module that can do what the Focusrite Compounder can do (or at least close to it), I will consider giving it a test run. The TD-10 is a first attempt to give the drummers the internal components to tweak to achieve any type of cut and boost, but its not all there as far as performance and output.

------------------
      szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited May 10, 2001).]
      Studio

Comment

Hey Szvook, I thought about addressing the question specifically to you, but having read about what you play through, I figured you avoided the low volume stuff like the plague.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

szvook,
          does that amp run 4 ohms to both speakers (both outputs)?
          what kind of price range did your amp and those speakers run you?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boingo:
            "I figured you avoided the low volume stuff like the plague. "

Damn straight !!!

This is a downside to the edrums, which is much overlooked at times.
            I wanted/needed to eliminate that downside PERIOD, that and not having my edrums in my home.

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

Originally posted by ADD:
              szvook,
              does that amp run 4 ohms to both speakers (both outputs)?
              what kind of price range did your amp and those speakers run you?

Yes, with both channels @ 4 ohms. So the speakers sees the load @ 4 ohms.

I got a good deal at the time I bought the amp and speakers - $2600.00 total.

At this time, I have seen my speakers go from $900.00 to $1,150.00 a piece and my amp from $1,150.00 to $1,600.00.

I got lucky

------------------
              szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited May 10, 2001).]
              Studio

Comment

Why not just bail on the low volume speakers and get everything you'll need with some good headphones??

Comment

Originally posted by TK:
                  Why not just bail on the low volume speakers and get everything you'll need with some good headphones??
                  The sounds of the drums and cymbals through headphones will sound different then through a PA system and for live applications that needs to addressed, otherwise you will have to tweak the sounds quite a bit to match the headphone output. Headphone output and PA output will give you two different results to your sounds.

This issue has been discussed before on this forum, try to do a search if interested; it will give you some ideas of what people have found out.

------------------
                  szvook
                  Studio

Comment

have made about 20 different snare emulations that sound great its called gated reverb If you play covers trying to emulate somebodys elses drum kit is a waste of your time set your kits up for the best sound 4 your band Thats what edrums are all about and thats what makes them so versatile over acoustics.

Comment

IM playing TD10exp Phones out to eurorack 6 channel EQ TD10 and acoustic HH & cymbals there I monitor with this Mix total control over my Mix no external effects my mix than send over to Mackie 1604-VLS PRO with effects EQ compressor limiter and bands main mix. I have two 15in with horns 150 watts at my finger tips I think I have been up to five on a couple live shows with ear plugs for my monitors the band sound is JBL MR speakers 800 watts by amped I also moniter the band with Yamaha monitors from main mix.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                      X