Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Kit Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Exchange

I just got the Roland Session Set and I really love it. It is my first electronic set. I am having a bit of trouble with the vague instruction book. I want to access the 50 kits that came on the TD-10 before I put in the TDW-1. I read all about this miraculous kit exchange, but HOW THE HECK DO YOU DO IT???? I don't want to lose anything on here, but I read that things get overwritten and lost. How do I avoid this? I guess the Roland people assume that someone buying the V-drums has some knowledge of how electronic drums work, but I went straight from acoustics, so I am a bit lost.
    B

You can't exchange "to" the pre-set area of the brain. Exchange is used to swap the position of 2 kits in the user kit area (ex: swap the positions of kit 1 and 50) or to exchange kits from the memory card to the brain and back (where I use it frequently). (You can also use it to copy various settings or instruments from one kit to another.)

I'd suggest you pick a kit or kits in the user area which you haven't customized and "copy" the TD-10 pre-set kits to them (one at a time). When you are done, copy the original kits back. If you haven't customized any of your kits or settings, just re-initialize to bring back the TDW-1 kits. Page 117 of the TD-10 manual gives step by step instruction on use of the copy feature.

The TDW-1 user manual, chapter 1, Expanding the functionality of the TD-10, illustrates the different areas (user, pre-sets, mem card) to give you a good idea of how it's laid out. It also touches on the copy feature.

I don't know of any way to copy all TD-10 pre-sets to the user area in one shot other than to have copied them to a mem card before expanding and dumping all kits from card to brain.

You were probably a bit premature loading the TDW-1 card. Can't blame you if you were. Getting a set of these babies is like being a kid at Christmas.

Oh yeah, as far as losing anything, you need to get a memory card (M512-E) or some software to back up your customized kits. That's why I said to pick a kit you haven't customized.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited May 20, 2001).]
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonwardell:
      I want to access the 50 kits that came on the TD-10 before I put in the TDW-1.
      Congrats on your V-Session. The manual is terrible on the simple kit exhange procedure. First, find a kit that you don't mind overwriting and leave the dial on that number. Then press TOOLS, and then the F1 (Copy) key. You will see that both the top and bottom drum kit in the LCD readout are the same. Now. rotate the dial counterclockwise and watch how the upper line changes. Keep dialing counterclockwise and you will first go through your current kits, then the TDW1 kits in menory, then finally down to the original TD-10 kits in memory! Stop on a kit you want to exchange and press the F4 key.
      Easy as that. Also, if you have a MIDI connection to your computer - the VKitTrans latest TD-10exp BETA (free) supports saving individual kits with full import/export ability. Totally cool. You have to write to Lee Overstreet, the author to get this latest version. His e-mail is [email protected] Enjoy your new drums. Howard

[This message has been edited by Drummersdad (edited May 20, 2001).]

Comment

If I have already loaded the TDW-1 without doing this stuff first am I out of luck? Are the original kits worth it? Are there new sounds or just different pre-assembled kits? I create all my own kits, so if the sounds are there, I guess I don't need to do it. Any suggestions?
        V-Session

Comment

Originally posted by Drummersdad:
          Keep dialing counterclockwise and you will first go through your current kits, then the TDW1 kits in memory, then finally down to the original TD-10 kits in memory! Stop on a kit you want to exchange and press the F4 key.
          Howard

Your instructions are on target, but, you used the word "exchange" which is misleading. What will happen is the pre-set TD-10 kit will overwrite the user kit. The user kit will be toast unless you back it up.

Scratch: As far as the 'is it worth it' part, you won't know until you try. I would recommend it. That's why I suggested taking one or more TDW-1 kits you won't miss and overwriting them. You can always restore them using the copy feature. (You didn't customize all 50 did you?)

I highly recommend a memory card, expecially if you customize a lot of kits. It is the most efficient and convenient way of backing up. I also use SysEx97 software (and am awaiting Lee's TDW-1 released version of VkitTrans). I have more kits backed up than Carter has liver pills (that's an old farts joke ).
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

On Lee's TDW-1 VKitTrans Beta:

Quote from Lee...
            "FYI - Files saved using this will not work in the final release version."

Just thought I'd remind you so there's no surprise if/when you install the released version later on.

Comment

Boingo - you wrote, "The user kit will be toast unless you back it up". Remember, I said to pick a kit number that you wouldn't mind overwriting. Unless you were overwriting a cherished kit that you had modified, why would you lose the ability to bring back the former "TDW-1" kit that resided at that spot?

I am admittedly new to this and may be beating a dead horse, but doesn't the expanded TD-10 have 3 sets of 50 drum kits? There are the 50 user kits which are the 50 semi-volatile kits which can be customized; and then there are 50 TD-10 and the 50 TDW-1 kits which never go away, can't be overwritten (Xchange is not even avialable in the Tools/F1 menu) , are locked in stone, but which can easily be summoned back to a user kit with the Copy/Exchange procedure. When the TDW-1 is first initialized, the 50 user kits are a clone of the 50 TDW-1 kits. So when I said to copy to an unwanted dial position in the user kits to resurrect an original TD-10 kit, one could always change ones mind and bring back the unmodified TDW-1 kit to that position as well. If you have modifed all 50 user kits and absolutely love them - THAT IS WHEN Lee's software is a lifesaver - it is a way to save modified kits to your hearts content - and never risk losing them. BTW, I was unaware that my saved kits could not be recalled when the final version of Vkit Exp releases. Now that would be a big pain - but I suppose it would be necessary if Lee wants to convert us all to paying customers.... Howard

Comment

Perhaps you're taking me the wrong way. Everything you said to do was (like I said) "on target". I was pointing out to our new friends the difference and importance between copy and exchange. I know exchange wasn't an option, but that might not register to someone unfamiliar with the unit and following another's instruction. Sorry if you felt I was nit pickin ya. I was just trying to spare the newbies a lost kit. Heck, any dad who would take the interest in his son like you have is a hero in my book.

On Lee's software, I suppose you can keep on using the Beta forever if you'd like. I have avoided using it so I wouldn't have too many different formats to store. I've still got Lee's original, plus SysEx files. As far as "paying customer", he has stated before he has no intention of charging. I guess my book has two V-drum hero's. (Putt, you're in my D-drum hero book )

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                  Perhaps you're taking me the wrong way.
                  Hi Boingo. No offense taken. I was totally in the dark on the subject just 3 weeks ago, so I was just rehashing it for myself more than anyone. The manual really stunk on that topic! I appreciate your comments and have to wonder why Lee wouldn't charge something for that incredible piece of software. He is not only a hero. He must be a programming genius. And I always thought that "drummer" and "genius" were mutually exclusive terms

Comment

Looks like I'll have to eat crow. I actually do plan to charge for the new release.

Embedded within every kit loaded onto the TD-10 from the VKitEx Beta is a virus that spreads its' tentacles into heart of the unit and will activate on the 347th dropped beat, 222nd rushed fill, or 83rd late cymbal crash - which ever comes first.

The only way to deactivate the TD-10 virus???

Heheheheheh... you got it - $$$$$$

On the bright side - no dropped beat / rushed fill / late crash - hey! you are home free - so nobody is worried - right?

--------------------------------------------------

Seriously - I so rushed the Beta that I thought for sure I'd be making major changes to the final release. It seems the Beta will fly as the final release and I'll eat crow on the "FYI - Files saved using this will not work in the final release version."

Of course, there is no virus and VKitEx will wing through its' lifespan completely free - but I am awfully tired of pickin' up those dropped beats off the bandstand from the previous night's performance...

Comment

Lee, I guess you will have to settle for fame instead of fame and fortune. Coming from the entrepreurial world, I have a hard time understanding your mentality, but 100 years from now when we are both long gone, you can write to me from heaven and let me know how it is up there and if there are any e-drums......

Comment

Working...
                      X