Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-8 Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 Outputs

Please don't flame me straight away! I know that this has been discussed before and you'll say to search for it but: Looking at the block diagram in the manual it looks like the TD-8 has 2 seperate stereo master outputs and 2 mono direct outputs. Correct?

If so, does this mean that I could, for instance, assign the kick and snare to individual mono outputs, which would both be automatically centre-panned (because mono), then assign cymbals and toms to individual stereo master outs to give two seperate stereo mixes?

How would this configuration be better than a single stereo mix? (Be as technical as you like, I know techy stuff).

A million thankyous for anyone who can help me with this!!*

Schmunk

* Not literally

TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Studio

Comment

Hey Schmunk,
      I ran into the same problem before..Here are a few solutions.
      Get a mixer like szvook said.much easier to get a better sound,which you'll need later to do any serious recording..

Run your snare master out,but pan it hard right(15)
      Run all your cymbals master out,pan them hard left(-15)

the reason for this is, you'll lose all your reverb,eq,etc if you run out of the direct outputs.
      By running master out with a hard pan,you'll keep all of the "effects" from the td-8.Now the mixer comes in handy to re-pan everything.to where you want it..yeah you'll lose the abilty to pan from within the
      td-8.But when your recording you'll get a much better result..

By doing this you'll get 4 seperate outputs

1.snare masterout panned hard right
      2.cymbals/hi-hat masterout panned hard left
      3.bass direct outleft
      4.toms directout right

the reason i do this is, i would rather have the cymbals and snare have the td-8 "effects"
      since they are more dynamic, and need more of the td-8 capibities.I tried many ways of recording different outputs this seems to work best for me..let me know if you hsve any questions..

--kosmic

Comment

Thanks to both of you for good advice, but I still don't quite understand - If I pan my cymbals/toms to +/- 15 (or use M_L and M_R etc.), does this mean that I cannot achieve a wide stereo image, as all toms are panned into the same place (same for cymbals)?

Schmunk
        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
            Does anyone know how this principle applies to the TD-10 w/the TDW1? Do you lose the effects and ambience as well going through the Direct Outs. Before the TDW1 I had a nightmare of a time monitoring myself after I separated the outputs and panning hard right and left.
            I am installing the TDW1 this weekend in a module that will be used exclusively in a theater environment which will require as many direct outputs as possible. Can I use all six outputs the same way. Mono outs for snare and bass drum, stereo outs for toms and cymbals.
            Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
            Drumser
            Drumser

Comment

Well, I've got my mixer set up now (they sent me it with the wrong power supply), a Behringer 802 which I'm going to run into a Behringer UltraMizer (when it arrives). I've had a bit of a fiddle around with configurations and I tried doing it as Kosmic Kat suggested but I can't live without a stereo mix, so I'm running kick D_L, snare D_R and then a stereo mix of toms and cymbals from the masters to a stereo input on the mixer.

It's not as bad a solution as people have suggested. The fact that I'm eq-ing toms and cymbals together isn't a problem, cause let's face it, it's totally unrealistic to be eq-ing an 8" tom to the same settings as a 16" floor tom anyway, so I'll just use fairly flat, global settings and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's a much bigger bonus to be able to have a wide stereo spread so I can attack the crowd from all angles!! Hi-hats on 'alt' pan anybody?

Well, I'll see how it sounds when I can put it through a big P.A., then I might post back to tell ya!! (I've being using headphones so far)

Schmunk

------------------
              TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3

Comment

You need to tweak the sounds in the edit mode after setting global settings as you say. You will be able to tweak the sounds further and individually.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Working...
                X