Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 Outputs

Please don't flame me straight away! I know that this has been discussed before and you'll say to search for it but: Looking at the block diagram in the manual it looks like the TD-8 has 2 seperate stereo master outputs and 2 mono direct outputs. Correct?

If so, does this mean that I could, for instance, assign the kick and snare to individual mono outputs, which would both be automatically centre-panned (because mono), then assign cymbals and toms to individual stereo master outs to give two seperate stereo mixes?

How would this configuration be better than a single stereo mix? (Be as technical as you like, I know techy stuff).

A million thankyous for anyone who can help me with this!!*

Schmunk

* Not literally

TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

If you add an outboard mixer and send the kick to its own channel, the control for the gain and EQ (which is much better then the internal EQ of the TD’s) will make a difference in your sound output and dynamics.
    Same applies for the snare, toms and cymbals.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Hey Schmunk,
      I ran into the same problem before..Here are a few solutions.
      Get a mixer like szvook said.much easier to get a better sound,which you'll need later to do any serious recording..

Run your snare master out,but pan it hard right(15)
      Run all your cymbals master out,pan them hard left(-15)

the reason for this is, you'll lose all your reverb,eq,etc if you run out of the direct outputs.
      By running master out with a hard pan,you'll keep all of the "effects" from the td-8.Now the mixer comes in handy to re-pan everything.to where you want it..yeah you'll lose the abilty to pan from within the
      td-8.But when your recording you'll get a much better result..

By doing this you'll get 4 seperate outputs

1.snare masterout panned hard right
      2.cymbals/hi-hat masterout panned hard left
      3.bass direct outleft
      4.toms directout right

the reason i do this is, i would rather have the cymbals and snare have the td-8 "effects"
      since they are more dynamic, and need more of the td-8 capibities.I tried many ways of recording different outputs this seems to work best for me..let me know if you hsve any questions..

--kosmic

Comment

Thanks to both of you for good advice, but I still don't quite understand - If I pan my cymbals/toms to +/- 15 (or use M_L and M_R etc.), does this mean that I cannot achieve a wide stereo image, as all toms are panned into the same place (same for cymbals)?

Schmunk
        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Set your output type to MAS for the toms and cymbals, then run two 1/4 jacks from the Master outs of the TD-8 into your outboard (or the main board), pan left output-hard left on the board’s channel and pan the right output-hard right on the other board’s channel. This way you will get a stereo feed. The kick and snare will be in mono coming from the D_R and D_L. Or you can change that if you want, the way Kosmic Kat described before. In your manual, on page 136 or 137 (some where around there) the outputs have a classification about which outputs will have effects and ambience and which will not. The MAS output settings will have effects and ambience available in stereo.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
            Set your output type to MAS for the toms and cymbals, then run two 1/4 jacks from the Master outs of the TD-8 into your outboard (or the main board), pan left output-hard left on the board’s channel and pan the right output-hard right on the other board’s channel. This way you will get a stereo feed. The kick and snare will be in mono coming from the D_R and D_L. Or you can change that if you want, the way Kosmic Kat described before. In your manual, on page 136 or 137 (some where around there) the outputs have a classification about which outputs will have effects and ambience and which will not. The MAS output settings will have effects and ambience available in stereo.
            Does anyone know how this principle applies to the TD-10 w/the TDW1? Do you lose the effects and ambience as well going through the Direct Outs. Before the TDW1 I had a nightmare of a time monitoring myself after I separated the outputs and panning hard right and left.
            I am installing the TDW1 this weekend in a module that will be used exclusively in a theater environment which will require as many direct outputs as possible. Can I use all six outputs the same way. Mono outs for snare and bass drum, stereo outs for toms and cymbals.
            Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
            Drumser
            Drumser

Comment

Well, I've got my mixer set up now (they sent me it with the wrong power supply), a Behringer 802 which I'm going to run into a Behringer UltraMizer (when it arrives). I've had a bit of a fiddle around with configurations and I tried doing it as Kosmic Kat suggested but I can't live without a stereo mix, so I'm running kick D_L, snare D_R and then a stereo mix of toms and cymbals from the masters to a stereo input on the mixer.

It's not as bad a solution as people have suggested. The fact that I'm eq-ing toms and cymbals together isn't a problem, cause let's face it, it's totally unrealistic to be eq-ing an 8" tom to the same settings as a 16" floor tom anyway, so I'll just use fairly flat, global settings and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's a much bigger bonus to be able to have a wide stereo spread so I can attack the crowd from all angles!! Hi-hats on 'alt' pan anybody?

Well, I'll see how it sounds when I can put it through a big P.A., then I might post back to tell ya!! (I've being using headphones so far)

Schmunk

------------------
              TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3

Comment

You need to tweak the sounds in the edit mode after setting global settings as you say. You will be able to tweak the sounds further and individually.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Working...
                X